speedster throttle shifter control cable damage?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnz26

Hello, I recently bought a 1995 Seadoo twin rotax speedster for renovation and noticed the port side cable is not moving at the rear impellers. Upon pulling up the throttle/shifter assembly, it appears the cable for the port side shifting is broke. Are these cables sold separately or do i need to purchase a complete assembly? Has anyone on this forum had a successful experience replacing and fixing this issue? I would really appreciate some advice as I'd love to get this fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_161017555_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181116_161017555_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20181116_161030039_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181116_161030039_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 36
Some cables are still available...some not.
I can't render any opinion on availability of
what you need, but can tell you what I did
for my cable casualty.

I had a 1996 Challenger steering cable break
a few years back, near the hardware that attaches
cable to nozzle. Checked online and found nada.

Took cable down to a local airfield and got the
break welded up. Had to cut a 'keyhole' in
transom opening to pass the swivel eye end
of cable thru...

Sealed transom up, and the $20 weld has held up ok.

Someone has done some shade tree mechanic repairs to that cable in the past, and it needs to be replaced. eBay shows a new shift cable for about $130 for the 94-95 speedster. I recently replaced the shift cable on my Sportster 1800 and it is a fairly simple job.

Thanks Steve762us and jts32. It does look like some strange work was done to the defective cable by a prior owner and it failed. At this point, I will pull out the cable and see if it can be repaired by welding somehow or try to find a replacement cable.

If someone is parting out their boat and has a used matching cable on the forum, let me know your price.

There are places (business) that will 'custom' build push / pull cables. I had one built years ago for a stand up I had. See if teflon lined case is available. They need old cable for length and throw.

Thanks Steve762us and jts32. It does look like some strange work was done to the defective cable by a prior owner and it failed. At this point, I will pull out the cable and see if it can be repaired by welding somehow or try to find a replacement cable.

If someone is parting out their boat and has a used matching cable on the forum, let me know your price.
I personally wouldn't replace a 20+ year old cable with another 20+ year old cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back