Speedster takes on water when under way

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDooser

I purchased a 95 speedster last year and went thru the jet pumps and stripped and resealed all leaks in the transom and the last time I took it out I was getting water in the engine compartment only when under way. No water when just sitting. Could it be the seal on the other end of the driveshaft? Crazy improvements on this old boat so far and it does about 55. So cool

Have you checked the cooling/exhaust hoses under the bilge? These can be a source of water as well. How much water are we talking about? Mine always gets a little bit of water down there, but the bilge pump takes care of it in a few seconds.

If you don't have the white plastic straws in the pump nozzle it will force water into the bailers instead of sucking it out. They are known to fall out.

If you don't have the white plastic straws in the pump nozzle it will force water into the bailers instead of sucking it out. They are known to fall out.
Hmm, not sure what you are talking about. I'll check around though. The only thing that seams weird to me is where the cable goes thru the hull. The stainless tube always rides down the cable. I tried siliconing it but it didn't stay. I attached a photo. Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_213629.jpg
    IMG_20190616_213629.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20190616_213706.jpg
    IMG_20190616_213706.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
Have you checked the cooling/exhaust hoses under the bilge? These can be a source of water as well. How much water are we talking about? Mine always gets a little bit of water down there, but the bilge pump takes care of it in a few seconds.
No I have not. It's crazy tight down there. I'll see what I can find. It's quite a bit when I don't run the bilge pump. The steam will bog the engines out. Where do you suppose your water is coming from? I would like to fix this so I can take it in the salt pond.
Thanks for the reply!

No I have not. It's crazy tight down there. I'll see what I can find. It's quite a bit when I don't run the bilge pump. The steam will bog the engines out. Where do you suppose your water is coming from? I would like to fix this so I can take it in the salt pond.
Thanks for the reply!

I believe some of mine may be coming through at the carrier bearing now, but I haven’t had a chance to dig into it yet since I’ve been working on the skis. Most of the water that ends up in my bilge is just drainage through the ski locker though... If you’re running it hard or are getting in and out of the boat while soaked, there’s no avoiding getting some water down there.

Hmm, not sure what you are talking about. I'll check around though. The only thing that seams weird to me is where the cable goes thru the hull. The stainless tube always rides down the cable. I tried siliconing it but it didn't stay. I attached a photo. Thanks for the reply!

No such animals on the boats.

That tube movement is probably normal. Articulate
whatever it's controlling, and you'll see the the length/
clearance changes.

Along with the coolant lines along bilge, check the
"medallions" on exhaust pipe(s)--the disk shaped
welds, on upper and lower sides. They have a habit
of corroding and leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back