Speedster speed sensor question. HELP PLEASE.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krautdog

My speed sensor part number 278000970 went bad on my 1997 speedster. I called around and found a brand new one from a local shop that works on them but is not a dealer. It is the 3 wire sensor part number 278000970 and when I cross reference it says it is for a 1996 speedster. (Should be the same speedo I thought) I hooked up the 2 wires and left the 3rd unhooked. I cycle the key, hit the wheel with an air hose and it works perfectly. However on the water it does not. I went as far as hooking up the hose to the motor and starting it and spinning it for a couple minutes in the driveway and it works perfect. Has anyone else used this sensor on a 97? I did check for weeds when I was in the water and there were none. The boat is mint and I want this darn speedo to work! Any input would be great. Thanks.

If the little wheel isn't bound... and is down in the little channel on the ride plate (or hull)... then it should be working.

I know you said you spun it with air... but did you try using the hose to spin it?

Post a few pics, and maybe we will see something.

When you hooked the hose up and spun it, were you using air again?

I'm thinking air will spin it MUCH faster than water will.

Maybe the sensors are different. By that, when a magnet passes by a sensor it picks up a signal that is transferred to a speed reading that you see in your gauge.

Maybe your original had a magnet on each fin and the replacement has it on every other fin for example.

With air it sees the signal enough to register but does not spin fast enough in water.

Not saying this is the issue. Just making a point that we know it is different as it is wired differently. It could be that it simply is not comparable with your electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well I ended up spending the big bucks on part #278001998 and I am back in business. I have a like brand new part #278000970 complete with harness for 40.00 if anyone needs one. let me know. Thanks.

Well I ended up spending the big bucks on part #278001998 and I am back in business. I have a like brand new part #278000970 complete with harness for 40.00 if anyone needs one. let me know. Thanks.

krautdog
If you still have the speed sensor I will buy it from you as it fits a 1997 Challenger 1800

My speed sensor part number 278000970 went bad on my 1997 speedster. I called around and found a brand new one from a local shop that works on them but is not a dealer. It is the 3 wire sensor part number 278000970 and when I cross reference it says it is for a 1996 speedster. (Should be the same speedo I thought) I hooked up the 2 wires and left the 3rd unhooked. I cycle the key, hit the wheel with an air hose and it works perfectly. However on the water it does not. I went as far as hooking up the hose to the motor and starting it and spinning it for a couple minutes in the driveway and it works perfect. Has anyone else used this sensor on a 97? I did check for weeds when I was in the water and there were none. The boat is mint and I want this darn speedo to work! Any input would be great. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back