SPEEDSTER PURCHASE ADVICE PLEASE!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DANN087

Hey guys and gals, First post here!

So I have never owned a boat before and I am currently interested in buying a Speedster. I do not know much about them except that they are no longer being produced. I am a bit apprehensive to buy one because I fear parts will be hard to find to fix any issues I may have. I really like the Speedsters though and I need a smaller boat that I can fit in my garage due to HOA restrictions.

Anyway, I would like to ask for ANY advice on what to look for or avoid when it comes to purchasing a Speedster. One thing I was told in a chat with a Speedster owner is to avoid dual motor Speedsters and make sure Impellers are good. I am looking at 2000-2008 Speedsters at around 8K.

Any advice would be greatly apprecated!!

Thank you!!

Dan

In the years you are looking there are 3 different hull types for the speedster. 15', 16' or 20'.

2000-2004 16' all came with 1 mercury V6 2 stroke engine.
2005-2006 only could get a 20 foot with twin 4 stroke engines
2007-2008 15' all come with 3 cylinder 4 stroke either naturally aspirated or supercharged.

Ok. I guess I would need to go with 15' or 16' because my garage is 9' x 20'. I am thinking it would fit, may have to install a fold away on the trailer?? I don't need to go with a 2000's Speedster, In general I just feel the newer the better If taken care of. I see many issues/questions on here about 90's Speedsters.

Is there any truth to staying away from twin engine Speedsters? I assume its just because there are two engines so could be double the issues. I am mechanically inclined, just never worked on 2 cycle engines. Hopefully I can find one that is in good shape that I can play with for a couple years without too many issues.

There could be double the issues, but also if you have one engine and it does not start you are up the creek with no paddle. When you have 2 you can almost always get back to the dock under your own power. But one is better on gas. Lots of reasons to go either way. If I was you I would try to find a 2003-2006 Sportster or a 2007-2012 speedster. Same boat different names. All are powered by a single 4 stroke engine. And it will fit nicely in your garage.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    912.3 KB · Views: 4
Okay...Am going to say it,,,unless it is new,,,or maybe a repo...or couple years old,,,DO NOT BUY A JETBOAT...they are ompossible to work onless you are a 20 something year old monkey...with deep pockets,,,you are constantly upside down,,,we have a twin speedster..at the shop....owner paid $11 000 for it canadian,,,and has $15 000 into after 1 year,,,that's it,,,I'm done!

Last edited:
Hey POPPS, No problem, I welcome all opinions, That is one of my fears that I would spend more time trying to keep it running than enjoying it on the water, Damn, I really like them though!! lol I guess this is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet. My main issue is that I need to find a smaller boat 15' so I can fit in my garage, The only boats I really see that size are aluminum fishing boats and that isn't what I'm looking for,.

While I agree they are a PITA to work on, I owned a 1996 Challenger for 15 years which I just sold in July this year. I never had any major issues with it and it served me well the entire time I owned it. Never once did it break down on me or leave me stuck anywhere. Now I did spend a fair bit of time doing what I could maintining and tinkering with it in the hopes I would prevent major issues. Maybe I just lucked out, but for me it worked. So they can provide many hours of enjoyment and you are not necessarily going to have major issues. But then it is a boat and anything can happen. Sometimes you just got to jump in and worry about the landing later. Good luck.

I know this isn't a Yamaha forum but I am eyeballing a 99 Yamaha Exciter. I hear yamaha engines are reliable. True? Any input?

Dangerous question here. Personally I would avoid a 2 stroke seadoo or Yamaha boat if possible. They will require more maintenance I don't think Yamaha made a 4 stroke boat in a size that would fit nicely in your garage. So it really is a personal choice, what boat fits your needs the best. I would not pay too much attention about brand and focus on what you like what will serve your needs. Both brands made good products. You will find lovers and haters on both sides.

I've owned my 1996 Speedster for 3 years now and have had zero problems. Maybe I'm just lucky? Hoping I'm not jinx'ing myself here! Depending on what you buy and how much you spend, you might have to budget in for some repairs. Lots of these boats end up sitting for years and years and need the fuel system redone. I had to rebuild all 4 carburetors on mine, clean out the fuel valves/filters/lines, and the thing runs perfectly fine. ALWAYS use premium NON-ethanol fuel and this will help tremendously with keeping your fuel system squeaky clean. I add a little stabilizer to the gas every time I fill up too. A couple more parts that always seem to be neglected on these boats are the seats, and the carbon seals. If you can do a lot of the work yourself, you will save a ton of money and they're really not all that bad to work on.

So I have never owned a boat before and I am currently interested in buying a Speedster. I do not know much about them except that they are no longer being produced. I am a bit apprehensive to buy one because I fear parts will be hard to find to fix any issues I may have. I really like the Speedsters though and I need a smaller boat that I can fit in my garage due to HOA restrictions.

Anyway, I would like to ask for ANY advice on what to look for or avoid when it comes to purchasing a Speedster. One thing I was told in a chat with a Speedster owner is to avoid dual motor Speedsters and make sure Impellers are good. I am looking at 2000-2008 Speedsters at around 8K.

Thank you!!

Dan
Dont know if this will help...im kinda in same "boat: as you...i just bought a 1996 speedster....going onto the water this weekend...

Thank you!!

Dan
I have an 01 speedster for sale. call or text (928)-278-9885 if interested

Thank you!!

Dan
I'm on year two with my 98 Challenger 1800. It's running great, but when I got it, they had to install new jet drives as the ones in the boat were not the right kind. Cost me about 3K Canadian. Parts are available, but they are getting harder to find as time goes on. One Sea Doo dealer in my area told me they don't service boats over 20 years old. So how's that for enticing anyone to buy a 15 year old Sea Doo? My mechanic, fortunately, does service them, but you should check out your local repair shops to make sure they will service your boat in a few years.

my seadoo speedster is an 01 with a 2 stroke v6 I've had 0 issues with it. when I bought it I replaced all the fuel lines and oil lines myself. just replaced one line at a time with identical lines. easy peasy. hardest part was hanging upside down and getting all the way in there. don't get me wrong it was a bitch but at least it's done. no fuel or oil leaks now. I'm only selling it because I don't have a garage to store it over the winter. I was asking 8k for the boat but would take a lower offer as it's getting closer and closer to the off season

Sorry - just seeing this now. I'd have given my two cents earlier.

I'm with POPPS. My 2006 Sportster is a pain in the arse. Hard to find parts because it's so old - and everything on the boat is dying, one part at a time. My head has grown 3" in circumference because I'm always upside down in the engine compartment. For every hour on the water, I'm 4 or 5 hours working on it.

When it works, it's awesome and I love it.

I'd like to get a new one - I get envy every time a new model jetski, Bayliner or Yamaha passes me on the water. However, I can't justify the cost of new considering that I only get 3 months at best on the water. I'm in a location where it's almost time to put the boat away for the winter. So, for now, I keep my crappy Sportster going thanks to the kind people on this forum who give me help keeping the damn thing alive!

So, if you are young, have no kids and have buckets and buckets of time on your hands for boat servicing, or just like tinkering around the garage and aren't bothered by the amount of time you spend upside down, then yeah, buy a used jetboat. When they work, they are grrrrrrrreat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back