Speedster pulls to the right

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatifast

My Speedster is pulling to the right when cruising at any speed, but pulls harder at higher speeds. IT is a 07 Speedster 155 hp. If I move to the middle seat it still pulls but less, if I move to the far left seat, it steers straight ahead or if I have two other people sitting on the far left side it will steer ahead. In another words more weight on the left side stops it. If I am sitting in the drivers seat at full speed I am turning 7480 rpm and if I let go of the wheel and let it slowly turn to the right it will increase in rpm to 7520. So I know there is drag with the constant pull to the right when steered straight.
My question is what should I look for that maybe out of alignment. I dont see anything noticable like a loose ride plat or intake grill.

How heavy are you?? That sounds odd, I have virtually the same boat (Sportster 4TEC 155) and it drives really straight...??

I am 220 pounds, but if I sit in the middle I would think I should drive straight if it were my weight but it does not. I have to sit on the far left side for it to drive straight or have two other people sit on the left side for it to run straight.

the steering cable. Align the wheel straight, then go to pump, and see wher its at, adjust accordingly

Aligning the wheel to sit straight will have no effect on the thrust from the pump its self. It will only level the wheel of which is very level currently. When setting the wheel level the nozzle is where it should be, pointing straight. It is either the thrust from the pump that is not aligned or some other cause pulling the boat to the right.

My Speedster is pulling to the right when cruising at any speed, but pulls harder at higher speeds. IT is a 07 Speedster 155 hp. If I move to the middle seat it still pulls but less, if I move to the far left seat, it steers straight ahead or if I have two other people sitting on the far left side it will steer ahead. In another words more weight on the left side stops it. If I am sitting in the drivers seat at full speed I am turning 7480 rpm and if I let go of the wheel and let it slowly turn to the right it will increase in rpm to 7520. So I know there is drag with the constant pull to the right when steered straight.
My question is what should I look for that maybe out of alignment. I dont see anything noticable like a loose ride plat or intake grill.

My 2005 Sportster 215HP is doing the same thing. Have you figured it out yet?

thanks

The water swirl out the Jet pump causes the boat to go to the right. You can adjust it out slightly but it will still have a natural notion to go to that direction. Do your adjustment at the nozzle end to correct it.

Karl

Hmmm. Maybe that explains why my speedster pushes/pulls to the right also a little. I just back off the left throttle to lessen it. Never thought about the rotation of the water from jets.

Found the problem. I tightened the two main bolts that holds the jet pump housing to the hull about one full turn. It pulled the jet pump housing to the left a very slight amount. In fact, it is a little to much, so now I will loosen them about a quarter turn. But when I run it now, it has a slight pull to the left. If I sit in the drivers seat and am the only one in the boat it now runs straight. but if sitting in the middle seat it will pull to the left a very slight amount. It should run straight when the boats weight is centered and I will set it up that way. But the pump is very sensitive as to how it mated with the hull. I have found if one side is a little tighter than the other, it will pull toward the tighter side.

Matt

Adust your steering cables.You can get torque steer but even a slight amount of incorrect steering will have an effect.
With the steering straight ahead, the pumps should have 5% direction,inwards.
That is 2.5 % each nozzle from straight.
So.If you look out the back of the boat with the boat running along.
The 2 pumpjet flows should meet at a point about 10 times the length of the boat, at full throttle,in a point exactly in the middle of the wash.
On a car,the point is out the front.It's called toe-in on the steering.This allow things to turn.
You can adjust the nozzle to correct the pull of the steering one way
If it pulls left,bring the left nozzle inwards slightly.
On outbard motors,they have trim tabs under the cavitation plate.
Hope this helps

Ha Ha
Ok!Me the dummy then.I have worked on a lot of twin and triple rigs.I didn't know what the boats have in them because I have a ski not a boat.Sorry about that.I might go downstairs and into the mancave to hide,(embarrased).:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back