Speedster 240 issue HELP PLEASE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy9236

I recently acquired a 2003 speedster 240 with the mercury v6. When test driving it the oil light came on with the 4 beeps indicating low reservoir. I then filled with oil (2weeks later) and let it sit for about 30 mins. Went and hooked up the hose to it. Turned it on to see if the oil light would go off. The boat ran for about 3-4 minutes ish before the continuous alarm went off which is when I immediately shut it down. Any ideas what this could be?? Could it have just over heated from running out of water and the hose wasn’t providing enough? Also I’m using quick silver premium (not premium plus) 2 stroke TCW3 oil (per manual and stickers on boat)
Any and all help appreciated! Thanks!

I recently acquired a 2003 speedster 240 with the mercury v6. When test driving it the oil light came on with the 4 beeps indicating low reservoir. I then filled with oil (2weeks later) and let it sit for about 30 mins. Went and hooked up the hose to it. Turned it on to see if the oil light would go off. The boat ran for about 3-4 minutes ish before the continuous alarm went off which is when I immediately shut it down. Any ideas what this could be?? Could it have just over heated from running out of water and the hose wasn’t providing enough? Also I’m using quick silver premium (not premium plus) 2 stroke TCW3 oil (per manual and stickers on boat)
Any and all help appreciated! Thanks!
Ive just learned myself thanks to this site that there is a single componet that does NOT get cooled via the flush hose connection and will suffer from this sort of condition , logically, when run out of the water for more than a few minutes.. 5 i think but by 10to 15 min running ... will cause a problem
The part is a carbon rind at the linkage where the shaft goes through the hull to the jetdrive and nozzle/ rev. bucket.
Its at a boot on the drive shaft. One end (on mine) has a cone of sorts, the other larger end is where you wanna look for a leak of somekind, albeit small at idle, in gear and underway even at lower speed... will deliver a much larger leak.
Any of these symptoms ?

Ive just learned myself thanks to this site that there is a single componet that does NOT get cooled via the flush hose connection and will suffer from this sort of condition , logically, when run out of the water for more than a few minutes.. 5 i think but by 10to 15 min running ... will cause a problem
The part is a carbon rind at the linkage where the shaft goes through the hull to the jetdrive and nozzle/ rev. bucket.
Its at a boot on the drive shaft. One end (on mine) has a cone of sorts, the other larger end is where you wanna look for a leak of somekind, albeit small at idle, in gear and underway even at lower speed... will deliver a much larger leak.
Any of these symptoms ?

I think this may be an issue in my boat, Sofla. Where would I be able to see this leaking in the engine compartment while underway? Are you talking about the boot on the bow facing side in the bilge that passes into the jetdrive area?

Yes, its the linkage essentially... something like a stuffing box in a boat...
The seal for where your shaft exits the bildge and out through the jetdrive and the drivewell outside and in the water.
Easily available on any site just verify the fitment. I figured in the worst case scenario.. its not this and something else still needs to be fettered out... OR best case. It is this and this is the 100$ diy fix....
Either way, the shaft seal will be fresh and new. Not such a bad thing anyways.

Happy Easter

Yes, its the linkage essentially... something like a stuffing box in a boat...
The seal for where your shaft exits the bildge and out through the jetdrive and the drivewell outside and in the water.
Easily available on any site just verify the fitment. I figured in the worst case scenario.. its not this and something else still needs to be fettered out... OR best case. It is this and this is the 100$ diy fix....
Either way, the shaft seal will be fresh and new. Not such a bad thing anyways.

Happy Easter

Hope you had a Happy Easter, as well. The boot I think you’re referring to appears to be the shift/reverse cable boot on my boat, not a shaft. Wish I had a diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back