Speedster 200 running flat out then engine quit and wont restart

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tshouldice

Hello all,

I have a 2005 speedster 200. I was running flat out (7000 rpm) and the starboard engine quit. I stopped the boat and tried to restart the engine. It would not restart. I limped back to shore on the port engine and still nothing. I feared that the supercharger self destructed, but when I pulled it out it appears that the complete assembly is in perfect condition...

Anyone got any ideas??? One thing of concern I noticed when removing the supercharger, was what appeared to be coolant in the muffler chamber... not sure if this could be connected or if this is indicating another problem. (head gasket perhaps)

Thanks for your ideas,

Trent

I think at this point, the boat is a total loss. Go ahead and sign the title over to me, I'll get rid of it for you ;) JK
Does that engine crank? Is the oil milky? Does the supercharger spin freely by hand? What muffler chamber are you referring to? Pics? Does that motor still have coolant? Is there oil in it?

I think at this point, the boat is a total loss. Go ahead and sign the title over to me, I'll get rid of it for you ;) JK

Pure trash... crush it! LOL not happening!
Does that engine crank? Is the oil milky? Does the supercharger spin freely by hand? What muffler chamber are you referring to? Pics? Does that motor still have coolant? Is there oil in it?

The engine does not crank over. Oil appears not to have water in it. Supercharger spins very nicely. I meant the chamber right after the tuned pipe. I will try to get pics next time I am out from camp, however I am now leaning towards a complete removal and inspection/repair. That engines coolant is now low, but still visible in the reservoir. Can't see any oil in the coolant, will drain and check.

I bought this boat 3rd hand in july 2017, and now believe there was damage done that was not relayed to me. Upon closer inspection of the supercharger I have discovered that the 2 halves of the housing are dated 2014 and 2015. My boat was manufactured back in 2005...

Going to have to dig pretty deep to be confident in this thing! But so much fun that it will be worth it

Could be timing chain. That might be best case scenario, as the head is designed to close all valves when cam not being turned. Could have saved the valves. It could have hydrolocked if the head gasket went. That would explain the lack of coolant. Could have had exhaust valve failure, as the valve stems are hollow. The valve would break off and fall into the combustion chamber, destroying the piston and head, usually occurring at high rpm (worst possible time). This can be quickly checked for by pulling the plugs, though it would not explain why the low coolant. If you take the head off, I urge you to replace the exhaust valves with solid ones, like Supertech or updated OEM valves.
Why do you think there is water in the oil? Are the droplets on the dipstick? Is the oil milky? How are the plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back