Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyConn

Hey guys, long time lurker but first time poster. I’ve had an issue with my 2004 Speedster 200 since I bought it (in 2009), where the Starboard (right) engine is slow to crank/start. Well, slower than the port engine. We would always start the port engine first, then the right engine would usually start fine.

Well, last summer, the starter finally died on us and would NOT start the engine. New battery did nothing. Left engine always starts perfectly fine with no issues. Installed a new starter this year and seemed to fix the problem at first, engine started up just as fast as the “good” engine.

Now my issue is that the starboard engine will start perfectly fine while “cold”, but has the SAME SYMPTOMS when the engine is hot. So I can usually start fine at the dock, run some tubing runs, and the engine starts turning over slower and slower until it won’t start. I give it 30 minutes and it starts just fine again.

Battery tests good, 12.7v at rest. Stators are good, I get 14.1 volts at the battery when running 4-5k rpm. Wire connections at the battery are clean and secure. Left engine still starts perfectly fine no matter the situation. Not running radio, lights, or anything extra.

I will add that the replacement starter is non-OEM, as I couldn’t cough up the $350+ for the OEM starter. But now I’m thinking that was a poor choice. It’s only had about 4 days of “boat usage” since installed. I’m leaning towards a heat soaking issue? The battery voltage drops to 9.8-10.0v when trying to turn over that engine. The left engine barely drops the battery to 11.3ish. Any help is appreciated!!

That certainly sounds starter related, I know it isn't a fun job, but you could swap the starters and determine if the problem moves with the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back