Speedster 200 Owners

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OsageRiverRat

Hello All.

I posted a couple weeks ago about wanting to trade current 3 seater(Kawasaki STX 15F) for a Speedster 150. Dr. Honda and several others gave their comments and great solutions to my concerns about the steering wheel/cockpit.

After doing a little more research on this forum and the seadoo website I am starting to wonder if a Speedster 200 might be a better option for us. One thing that appeals to me are the bucket seats which appear to be at least somewhat adjsutable as I am 6'2". It is a little bigger than I wanted and I am concerned about the "fun" and "nimble" factor as I am used to a 10ft. jet ski and have access to my parents 24' deck boat and Uncles 30+ foot Regal. So looking for something to get an adrenaline rush.

Any thoughts or comments on the 200 for a potential new owner would be welcome.

Thanks,
Doug

Interesting. I came from a Kaswasaki 250x to a Speedster 155 about 1 year ago and I'm 6ft 2.

My knees get close to the console when driving, but the only time I have smacked them is when jumping a wake. Once seated, you can stretch your legs a fair way out (especially the left one), and if you're a passenger it's not a problem.

The 150 is essentially a big jet ski. It turns, cuts and spins just like a jetski except it's more stable. if you get the 255hp it will perform slightly better than your STX15F in terms of top speed and acceleration. You can literally get the Speedster up to max speed and throw a hard lock turn. I've nearly ejected myself a couple of times doing this, but the boat hasn't shown any signs of wanting to flip over.

Where a jetski is better (especially the Kawasakis), is the hull design which tends to cut through the chop much better (as opposed to bouncing off the top), and of course if you want to head out into the ocean this poses a problem, especially with the lack of freeboard.

I haven't driven a 200 so can't comment on them.

Go with the 200 ... I had bought a project Sportster 155 (had it for about 2 months) which is essentially the same Hull as the speedsters 150/255. These little hulls make for a fun "big seadoo" but yah I'm 6.2" myself. Waaayy to cramped in the little hull, if you go with the 200 you won't be dissappointed! I can't go anywhere without ppl commenting on how sexy it is, adjustable seats seating for 7-8 adults tons of power ... no question go with the 200!!

Interesting. I came from a Kaswasaki 250x to a Speedster 155 about 1 year ago and I'm 6ft 2.

My knees get close to the console when driving, but the only time I have smacked them is when jumping a wake. Once seated, you can stretch your legs a fair way out (especially the left one), and if you're a passenger it's not a problem.

The 150 is essentially a big jet ski. It turns, cuts and spins just like a jetski except it's more stable. if you get the 255hp it will perform slightly better than your STX15F in terms of top speed and acceleration. You can literally get the Speedster up to max speed and throw a hard lock turn. I've nearly ejected myself a couple of times doing this, but the boat hasn't shown any signs of wanting to flip over.

Where a jetski is better (especially the Kawasakis), is the hull design which tends to cut through the chop much better (as opposed to bouncing off the top), and of course if you want to head out into the ocean this poses a problem, especially with the lack of freeboard.

I haven't driven a 200 so can't comment on them.

Thanks for the input Macster. I have yet to test drive a speedster, but from sitting in them at the dealers/boat shows a few times they are very cramped to me and as much as I am on the water I want to make sure I am comfortable.

I am glad to hear they appear to be nearly as much fun as my current jet ski.

Go with the 200 ... I had bought a project Sportster 155 (had it for about 2 months) which is essentially the same Hull as the speedsters 150/255. These little hulls make for a fun "big seadoo" but yah I'm 6.2" myself. Waaayy to cramped in the little hull, if you go with the 200 you won't be dissappointed! I can't go anywhere without ppl commenting on how sexy it is, adjustable seats seating for 7-8 adults tons of power ... no question go with the 200!!

Thanks BMANN06.

Those are some of the things(adjustable seats, more power, more room) that interests me about the 200. The drawbacks are the larger overall size(a true boat and not a large watercraft) and much larger price. I have been able to find a few decent used 200's in my price range, but a new one is waaayyy too much money right now.

What do you like best about the 200 and what do you like least(or would like to see improved)?

What I like:

Power, Seating, large swim platform, large sun deck, tons of storage, ballast tank, overall sporty look, P.A. system

What I don't like:

Needs some kinda power steering (no idea how theyd do it but it would help). When your roasting at 60mph you really wrestle with the wheel to carve this rig into a drift. The dash, it looks nice but the tachs are a bit squirley and sticky. Could use tilt steering, weedless system would be nice, speakers (easy to upgrade though),

Thats about all I can think of, I've had this 200 wake edition for a year now, if you have any questions or pre-purchase advice feel free to ask.

I have the 200 as well. I'll be honest its a big ole jet ski if you ask me.

Overall - great looks, nothing else like it on the water. Turns a lot heads
Its flat out fast and fun.
Plenty of storage and room. Glad I didn't go smaller

Dislikes
The extra TLC- You should know that going in with the maint. on the SC, the whole ceramic washer debacle. I'm used to it and knew it going in
I agree on the dash layout. Digital would have fit the look of the boat better.
Stock sound system is bad
Fuel usage ( my fault) lol
Tends to bounce(porpoise) in slight chop

BTW I'm 6'0 and plenty of leg room. I've been in smaller Seadoos with knees up to my chin. Really you can't go wrong. When I got mine I was in the market for the 180 and after three years I know I made the right choice. You won't be sorry. I've raced jet skis on inland lakes and the look on their face when I look BACK at them is priceless.

I have the 200 as well. I'll be honest its a big ole jet ski if you ask me.

Overall - great looks, nothing else like it on the water. Turns a lot heads
Its flat out fast and fun.
Plenty of storage and room. Glad I didn't go smaller

Dislikes
The extra TLC- You should know that going in with the maint. on the SC, the whole ceramic washer debacle. I'm used to it and knew it going in
I agree on the dash layout. Digital would have fit the look of the boat better.
Stock sound system is bad
Fuel usage ( my fault) lol
Tends to bounce(porpoise) in slight chop

BTW I'm 6'0 and plenty of leg room. I've been in smaller Seadoos with knees up to my chin. Really you can't go wrong. When I got mine I was in the market for the 180 and after three years I know I made the right choice. You won't be sorry. I've raced jet skis on inland lakes and the look on their face when I look BACK at them is priceless.

Thanks for the input. I'm heading to the Lake next week to look at the 150 and 200's again more closely now that I have some input from you and BMANN06. Glad to hear you like the 200. I have read at length about the washer issue on the 200 super charger. If what I have read is correct any 200 2009 or newer has the issue resolved correct? Also as an owner what can you tell me about rebuilding the supercharger from your own experience and how often do you feel it needs to done.

Thanks again for your input.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
What I like:

Power, Seating, large swim platform, large sun deck, tons of storage, ballast tank, overall sporty look, P.A. system

What I don't like:

Needs some kinda power steering (no idea how theyd do it but it would help). When your roasting at 60mph you really wrestle with the wheel to carve this rig into a drift. The dash, it looks nice but the tachs are a bit squirley and sticky. Could use tilt steering, weedless system would be nice, speakers (easy to upgrade though),

Thats about all I can think of, I've had this 200 wake edition for a year now, if you have any questions or pre-purchase advice feel free to ask.

Thanks BMANN06. What are your thoughts on the Super Charger rebuild and how often do you do it or have it done?

Yes in 2009 they made the change to the material on the washers. They are all metal. The book tells you 100 hours for my boat. I have not reached it yet but they are running strong still. I did pull both chargers and upgraded the washers. It was the best $600 I've spent.

It sounds like you've done some research. If your talking a new 200 I believe they made a change and now call for a two hundred hour rebuild on the SC. That is tied to 2012 from what I have seen. Although mechanically inclined I'll send mine out to get rebuilt. Too much on the line to take that chance. That is a whole different topic as there is plenty on the net regarding rebuilding. I believe there are rules against this on this forum thus my reason for being so generic.

Send me a PM if you want a different story.

Thanks Scott.

I fully intend to send them out for the rebuild when the time comes if I actually end up buying a boat this fall or next spring. I was really just looking for your opinion as an owner regarding the interval. I would love to buy new, but 40K+ for a boat is just not currently in the budget. From what I've seen on craigslist, boats.oodle.com, ebay, etc...I should be able to get a decent 2007-2009 200 for about 20K-25K if I can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back