Speedster 150 storage hatch gas spring replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDoo Fan

Ok, how many of you have a Speedster 150 with a storage hatch that barely stays up? Mine slams shut with a slight nudge or a light breeze. Time for a new gas spring/strut. I looked up the part..$45 plus $10 shipping. A little pricey for such a small strut! Time to find a replacement. I took the strut off, put a piece of wood on the bathroom scale and then compressed it. It took about 97-98 pounds of force to compress it. A good workout! I decided I wanted a replacement with about 110 lbs compression force. There are struts that size with more force, but I didn't want to break off my hatch! I looked around on the internet and found a replacement made by Bansbach, a German company. Must be good. The replacement strut is the Bansbach Easylift AF040-022. I bought it through Drillspot.com (no affiliation) and it came shipped direct from Grainger.
It was $31.21 with free shipping for a savings of about $25! One small catch. The replacement strut has no eyelet ends, but I made sure the new strut had M8 threads on the ends. I screwed off the eyelet ends off the old strut and screwed them directly on the new strut. Easy. The new strut works great! I can lower my hatch about 10 inches, let go, and its opens back up. Beyond 10 inches it will slam shut though. Kind of a bad design on Seadoo's part.

Just replaced mine with the OEM. I was too late, in that the lid had already slammed closed once and cracked the digital display screen...

Anyway, the OEM will hold the hatch up once almost fully opened but it's not strong enough to prevent the lid from slamming shut. Pretty useless design all round really, as my plastic spring loaded hatch lock also broke off ($145 replacement).

I've fitted some rubber strips on the console in case it slams shut again to prevent some of further damage from occurring, and I'm still looking for a replacement hatch lock.

Great info! Unfortunately, like most everyone else I replaced the storage lid strut with OEM this spring. I was able to find direct replacements for the engine hatch cover struts from the manufacturer (SPD Hardware) and saved some money there, plus was able to upgrade to stiffer struts. The one on the storage cover was just too unique and I was hesitant to order aftermarket in case it didn't fit.

I applaud your efforts, it will surely help others out there!

devonte007, what is the SPD part number?

"I was able to find direct replacements for the engine hatch cover struts from the manufacturer (SPD Hardware) and saved some money there, plus was able to upgrade to stiffer struts."

Sorry about bringing up an older thread, but I just replaced my gas struts with a 120lbs strut from zoro pn: AF040-023 and it works perfect! If anything I would have liked to try the 130lbs too. I think anything under 120 might be too little as over the years it will loose compression.

I ordered Bansbach Easylift AF040-022 (which is the 110LBS ) from the Zoro tool. It holds the hatch open but is unable to hold it half way causing just to drop without any support. Did I get a bad shock ? anyone else had the same issue ? I'm affraid if i leave it open and a wind will push it....it will go down and cause a damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt its a bad shock, the original 110lbs wasn't enough to begin with. I suggest you return it if you can and go with 120 or 130lbs.

Thanks. I am able to return it and I will order the 130 lbs. Too bad they don't have it in stock and it will take up to two weeks to get it. Anyway....zoro tools rocks. Thanks

In hind sight I wish I went with a little more psi. When I made the original post my old one was at 98 psi so I went with the 110 thinking that I didn't want to stress out the hinge area too much. When mine weakens in a few seasons, I'll go with the 120 psi one.

Im just posting here to leave a trail. I need a new strut for my speedster and don't feel like getting raped for 70 bucks for oem.

Yeah I just got it. It works pretty much as the 110lbs. It doesn't hold the weight when you close it half way.....it just goes down. I was hopping the 130lbs would solve this problem, but unfortunatelly it doesn't. I even mounted it both ways (upside down) and it's the same thing. I think the 130lbs would last longer though. Overall I still recomend it as you can't beat the price.... you can search the discount code ($5) which pays pretty much for the shipping. The shock is the same size as the original but the rod is not as thick as the OEM. I'll post the picture later. By the way I also installed the the SPD shocks for the engine cover and they are awesome. I hope it helps.

For the guys that bought replacements direct from SPD, do you give them the number off the original strut to look up or are you measuring it? Also, does the new one come with the new ball socket ends on it? I am missing 1 of them on the old one, so i need it.

You just go to the SPD website and type GSNI-2800-60 (sea doo 150) in a search box and it will show. The shocks come with ball sockets on them with metal retention clip. If you install it than just push it in without touching the clip and it will snap. To remove it just pull the retention clip half way without removing it and you will be able to take it off. As far as sea doo 200...I'm not sure what's the SPD # that will be exact fit. Maybe someone here can provide you with their number. You could measure it yourself and call them. My old shock were also SPD but with the old style numbering GSN instead of GSNI and the number was slightly diffrent. If that's he case for you, I'm sure you can call them and maybe they can get a replacement for you.

Rfoster,

The new ones do come with new attachment ends on them, and they have a few different types of ends to choose from. From memory I want to say they are type 'b', but not sure. Anyway, they are just a major maker of all kinds of struts and you can order whatever you want. If you dig around on their website a bit I think you should be able to determine their part number methodology. Basically, the info you need to order new struts is to measure the old ones:

1: total extended length (from center of ball socket to center of ball socket)
2: total compressed length (from center of ball socket to center of ball socket)
3: type of attachment ends you want (obviously the ball socket type)
4: charge in psi

The last digit of the part number is the charge (even on your old ones). So part #GSNI-2800-60 is a 60psi charge for instance. You have a different boat than I do, so your struts may be different length and psi so you will need to order the correct ones. The OE struts for my boat (speedster 150) were 50psi. I decided to step those up 10lbs each and ordered 60psi struts so my engine compartment opens better. You may also wish to step up the force from your OE struts as well.

If you have each of the 4 measurements I outlined above you should easily be able to order online. You can also call them and they should be able to help you make sure you are ordering the correct part. I remember that they were very easy to deal with over the phone with questions. If you are still having a problem ordering, just give me each of the measurements and I'll do my best to cross reference a part number for you from their website.

I hope that answers your question, let us know how the new struts turn out.

Just came across the original catalog for the GSNI struts, I will try to attach as a picture. They come with standard end fitting 'PS30B1' which is what you want.

SPDGasSprings-EndFittings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rfoster,

The new ones do come with new attachment ends on them, and they have a few different types of ends to choose from. From memory I want to say they are type 'b', but not sure. Anyway, they are just a major maker of all kinds of struts and you can order whatever you want. If you dig around on their website a bit I think you should be able to determine their part number methodology. Basically, the info you need to order new struts is to measure the old ones:

1: total extended length (from center of ball socket to center of ball socket)
2: total compressed length (from center of ball socket to center of ball socket)
3: type of attachment ends you want (obviously the ball socket type)
4: charge in psi

The last digit of the part number is the charge (even on your old ones). So part #GSNI-2800-60 is a 60psi charge for instance. You have a different boat than I do, so your struts may be different length and psi so you will need to order the correct ones. The OE struts for my boat (speedster 150) were 50psi. I decided to step those up 10lbs each and ordered 60psi struts so my engine compartment opens better. You may also wish to step up the force from your OE struts as well.

If you have each of the 4 measurements I outlined above you should easily be able to order online. You can also call them and they should be able to help you make sure you are ordering the correct part. I remember that they were very easy to deal with over the phone with questions. If you are still having a problem ordering, just give me each of the measurements and I'll do my best to cross reference a part number for you from their website.

I hope that answers your question, let us know how the new struts turn out.

Just came across the original catalog for the GSNI struts, I will try to attach as a picture. They come with standard end fitting 'PS30B1' which is what you want.

View attachment 18684

Thanks a bunch. That is the type of info i needed. Im gonna pull the good one i have and measure it and see what i come up with.

Once i got the part number off mine, it came right up on their site. $18 each...great deal compared to the $70 oem price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back