Speedometer problem with my 2011 gti

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had same issue on my gti 2011 at 11 hours. The machine went in and out the dealer shop for no less than 10 time over 10 months.

The dealer swapped numerous of parts under warranty, however non of it solve the issue. The only part they didn't want to swap is the cluster.

Finally, the dealer agreed came out and test the machine with me on the water. We disconnected the cluster of the ski and run without it. The ski worked like a dream. Connected it back to the ski, "here we go again" the issue went back.

Dealer swap the cluster under warranty at 56 hours. And it still working ok at 76 hours.

Try to disconnect the cluster and run without it. If your ski the problem disappear then replace the cluster.

Good luck.

This has always been a problem, but this weekend it was especislly bad, keeping me from traveling over about 20mph. What happens is, when im cruising and hit rough chop, my speedometer shoots up to the 60's-70's then the throttle backs off itself, im guessing because of some sort of speed limiter. This has always been a problem, but I usually only had the problem once every few hours. This past weekend was especially choppy. When I went over 25-30 mph, it would happen. I have done alot of searching and have not found another person with the same problem.

Good Luck chucked i have the 2011 GTI SE and reallly like it we had 2 2004's traded one in for a newer one
would not ever consider any ski but Seadoo but thats my opinion
we have always taken our Seadoos to Easton MD Talbot Power Sports. great team of people there

The only thing I hate, is I'm a mechanic, it kills me to pay then $100 for something I can do. I know all their mech is gonna do is replace parts.

The problem is sea doo wont help me. I have to take it to a dealer and they have to call. Although I think Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a cluster, wish I knew someone with the same boat to switch out and try it.

The problem is sea doo wont help me. I have to take it to a dealer and they have to call. Although I think Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a cluster, wish I knew someone with the same boat to switch out and try it.

why not just disconnect the cluster and give it a go..

You can safely run the GTI without the cluster. Just no information on speed. None of the buttons works except for start stop button. :)

Well I think I know how im gonna spend my day tomorrow. Did you have to remove the top dash piece to unplug it or was there something underneath to unplug it?

Just got back to the dock, had it u hooked and was wide open with no problems for 20 minutes. Hooked it back up and it acted up twice.

Just got back to the dock, had it u hooked and was wide open with no problems for 20 minutes. Hooked it back up and it acted up twice.

Glad you pin pointed what the problem is.. Sorry you had to spend that kinda money to replace the dash.. Still have a Warranty?

BTW, how did you unhook the cluster? Did you actually remove the unit from the ski? or just disconnect it.

Is that some sort of data link communication with like just three wires going from the gauge head to the computer, or is there a separate speed limit switch wire in a harness bundle you can just clip/cut the one signal wire that signals the engine computer to slow down?

A schematic would help.

Ive looked through the schematic and could not find any specific wires for the gps

Some instrument clusters communicate with the main computer through a datalink, in which case you could not do anything but, if there was an actual wire which was pulled low by the cluster once speed exceeded a predetermined level, then by clipping the wire, the computer wouldn't see the signal from the cluster.

Well I put 2 tanks through it today. I can conclude 3 things, it acts up any time the speedometer reads 58 mph or more, it reads up to 68 mph, and 75% of the time it does it after a hard hit, almost no relation to cavitation. So Im thinking a bad connection maybe? I think tomorrow Im gonna take the dash apart and look for bad solder joints or something in the board.

Tried to take the dash apart, no go, its glued together. Looks like the only way is to buy the brand new $600 unit

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the weekend, I had my girlfriend on the back and the problem arose. The machine slowed down then all of a sudden the throttle kicked back in (probably wide open) unexpectedly, injuring both me and my girlfriend. I filed a complaint with BBB this morning. I doubt anything will come of it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back