2004 RXP - New To 4-Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan727

Hey all,

Just got a killer deal from my boss on his older skis. Upgraded from a pair of 951's, so I'm brand new to the 4-Tec PWC world. Just looking for some insight as to what to maintain on this machine to keep her running for a long time.

Currently has 175 hours. Has previously been taken to local shop every year for tune ups, was stored for the most part of the last few years, but always ran a couple times a year to keep it alive.

I will be doing an oil change this weekend, and every 25 hours or so thereafter (Will use 'Doo oil). Will be running year round, no winterizing here in FL. Will change spark plugs, top off coolant (also make sure it's still good - how often does this need a flush?). I took it out the other day and she's running great, may need a new wear ring, as I am feeling some very slight cavitation, will inspect later today.

As far as the supercharger goes, what are some of the best things to do to inspect and maintain this thing?

Anything else I should be looking for? Like I said, it currently runs great, I was hitting 60 MPH no problem, was too choppy to get above and push it FT.

Thanks in advance.

That thing should go faster than 60. My 04 GTX with 185hp went 63. Make sure the SC was rebuilt with an modern OE kit (not WSM). If it still has the ceramic clutch washers, they're a time bomb. One thing you can do is pull off the lower Supercharger air pipe and see if you can spin the blades. If you can, it's too loose. If you're hitting 60, it's probably okay. As are those hollow exhaust valves. If I ever got a pre-07 RXP, that would be on my to-do list. Sadly, it requires pulling the head. Many people run it anyway, especially if it's a fresh water boat, and are okay. I hear they fail due to corrosion. As with the 2strokes, these seadoos are EXTREMELY sensetive to electrical surges. NEVER EVER start it with a battery charger hooked up. Speaking from experience on this one. I just drained the cooling system on my 03 GTX, and there were chunks in it. It has only 39h on it, but it's probably original since 2003. I'd say flush it every 5 years at least ;)

@IDoSeaDoo It goes over 60, was just too choppy for me to go FT.

I will inspect the SC for the blade play and see what I find. I know it has been rebuilt, just not sure when. And she has a brand new battery on it, didn't even bother with the old one, looked aged.

Thanks for the starting point!

The SC will move side to side a tiny bit, that's just play between the gears and is normal. Should have any in/out movement though.

Understood, thanks. How about after-ride washing.. my 951's really couldn't be washed much on the engine compartment due to all the open systems in there. These are all closed loop, can I just lightly rinse the entire thing down? Are there areas to avoid getting wet (i.e. intake system)?

Understood, thanks. How about after-ride washing.. my 951's really couldn't be washed much on the engine compartment due to all the open systems in there. These are all closed loop, can I just lightly rinse the entire thing down? Are there areas to avoid getting wet (i.e. intake system)?

I rinse everything in my engine bay. Just don't use high pressure. Use a wide spray on the nozzle and go for it.

I just sold a 350 hour, 9 year old salt water ski that looked new.

@xspook Thanks, I thought I could do so. This has 175 on it, 170 being fresh water at his lake house.

I was able to figure out that the last tune up was just a few months ago - plugs, SC inspection, oil change, and coolant inspection/top off.

Ended up taking it out yesterday evening and rode for over an hour. She's purring right now. Hit 69 MPH, 62 with another passenger. Lovin' life right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back