Speedo failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so if I understand this correctly... unplug the speed sensor connector at the back of the boat near the transom and then plug it back in (some kind of reset... probably with key on?)... Spin the paddle wheel really slowly and measure voltage up at the speedo connector... probably on purple and black (as there is no red on the 1800’s with a Merc).

Ya I didn't get what he mean with that part either but you have to measure the voltage with it in place. You can't test it without it being in the boat and powered

I found this on another post:

To test the speed sensor you'll need to remove the connector on the speed sensor side using a terminal tool, then plug the terminals back in and you'll be able to touch the terminals to measure the voltage, positive on the red wire, neg on the black, nothing on the third yellow wire.(I think the colors are right, they have changed colors since then so it's from memory) slowly move the paddle wheel and each 1/8 turn the voltage should change from 8.5V to 5.5V, it's the rate of this change is how it determines the speed. normally when the speed sensor fails, you will get no voltage reading at all meaning that the sensor is toast.

Finally getting around to working on the speedo again... the key element for testing the speed sensor is that I need to be able to extract the connecting pins from the connector terminal... as you would expect, I don’t have a “terminal tool”... so does anybody know of a way to get those pins out of that connector (without a tool)?

From close examination it appears they are just press fit in there with those rubber grommets holding them in place, but I didn’t want to just try and pull them out to avoid damaging them!

Regardless, one way or another, I will need to get those pins out of the connection terminal to fit them through the hole in the hull when I do the swap/installation! So this is a fairly important piece of the puzzle!!

Check this out

Fantastic, so a rivet soldered onto a piece of wire will do the trick! Don’t you just love these forums!!! Thanks so much!

I guess the key for this DIY extraction tool is that you find a rivet of the correct diameter and length! Off to the hardware store!!

Finally getting around to working on the speedo again... the key element for testing the speed sensor is that I need to be able to extract the connecting pins from the connector terminal... as you would expect, I don’t have a “terminal tool”... so does anybody know of a way to get those pins out of that connector (without a tool)?

From close examination it appears they are just press fit in there with those rubber grommets holding them in place, but I didn’t want to just try and pull them out to avoid damaging them!

Regardless, one way or another, I will need to get those pins out of the connection terminal to fit them through the hole in the hull when I do the swap/installation! So this is a fairly important piece of the puzzle!!
Hello,could you solve it?, I have the same problem ..
if I connect a 1.5V battery to test function?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back