Speedo failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryb

Went out for a ride today, and the speedo did not move from zero? I figured the little wheel got clogged with weeds or something? So out on the lake I checked the spinning wheel at the back of the transom... it all looked good? So I checked the gauge itself and tried reseating the electrical plug. But to no avail... still no reading?

So what else can I check to see if there is something in the system that can be easily repaired or is it just the gauge gone south?

Mine has not worked since I got the boat. Did some research and a few forums posts later I was informed to purchase a gps speedometer from candoopro which I haven't gotten yet, been meaning to. In the meantime I've been using a speedometer app on my phone until I purchase the gps sensor I need. I think it's a little over $100 and hooks up to the gauge the same way the paddle wheel does. I was told this is actually more accurate than the paddle wheel as well. You can search the candoopro site to match the correct sensor you need with your boat make and model. Good luck.

Mine hasn't worked since I got it either. I've not tracked it down to see what's not working. I was also told to get the GPS speedo too. If you get one let me know.
I need a tachometer. Mine works EXCEPT for when I have my NAV lights on. Then it shorts out. [emoji20]

Thanks folks for the GPS idea... I would prefer to keep the boat as OEM as possible, but would consider changing to a GPS speedo if no other solution was available.

Maybe I need to take a look at the wiring schematic and see if I can figure out which wire to test?

Ok, I checked the SeaDoo Shop Manual... and found a small section of diagnostic information regarding the speedo sensor...

"To verify speed sensor, use a voltmeter as follows:
- with both speed sensor wires properly connected to boat harness, connect the voltmeter (+) probe to the Purple/Yellow wire and the voltmeter (-) probe to the Black Orange wire.
- slowly turn the speed sensor paddle wheel, you should read a voltage variation on the voltmeter. If not then replace sensor."

So with my brother-in-law sticking his head down in the engine bay with my voltmeter and me on the back transom spinning the sensor wheel... we got some voltage fluctuations! So we reconnected the boat harness and tested it again up at the speedo gauge... same deal, there was some voltage variations while spinning the wheel....
so that says to me that the gauge has given up the speed ghost (so to speak)!!! Ugh.
Anyone have an extra Speedo gauge that works?

But the thing that I'm wondering about is... what should those "voltage variations" be from the speed sensor wheel while turning it by hand?

We were getting fluctuations from 0.04v up to 0.28v ... is that what I should be seeing? The funny thing was that once I stopped spinning the wheel, the voltage wouldn't necessarily drop immediately? So I'm just not totally convinced it's not the sensor? Is there a way to test the gauge before I drop a bunch of cash on another used one?

i think your voltages are wrong. I think it was supposed to be changing from 5 volts to 9 volts and back again. there are some other post on this with the actual values that are expected. do a quick search and you will see what the expected values are supposed to be

https://greatlakesskipper.com/sea-doo-jet-boat-speedometer

been through this, the pickup is a rotating magnet and simple coil pickup, not much to go wrong. Bought one and never had to use is, waste of good money.
Here is a perfect replacement, Faria makes one that looks OEM, even says bombardier. $79
Boat part number 1007477 is a NEW Sea Doo Jet Boat Bombardier speedometer made by VDO. Bombardier # 204470605 .

I took a careful look at the plug (from the picture) and it does seems to match all of the details on mine! Looks very classy as well.

i didnt have to rewire, i think there was an "extender" harness perhaps, but it was plug-n-play and not memorable, so no worries.

Ok, so now which the season coming to a close (rapidly)... I have tried a replacement speedometer (a used OEM part... reported to be working when removed)... which did not bring the speedo function to life.

So I went to look at the speed sensor, checked its voltage and it appeared to be the problem with some voltage coming from it, but not what it should be (checked at the connector at the transom and up at the gauge)... bought another used OEM part that was supposed to be working when removed... it came with all wires and connectors intact.

I swapped the speed sensor from the connector inside the hull back at the transom... started the engine, manually spun the wheel... nothing reported on the gauge???

Wondering if there is something else that is used in this path?

Well, once I get mine working, I should be able to prove if the original speedo is still functional... I might consider selling my extra gauge?

But I'm running out of time this year... probably pulling it out within the next few weeks.

Problem with used parts is that one or both of them might have their own problems? Kind of hard to prove until the real problem is found?

Well, once I get mine working, I should be able to prove if the original speedo is still functional... I might consider selling my extra gauge?

But I'm running out of time this year... probably pulling it out within the next few weeks.

Keep me posted if you figure this out.

Should be putting the boat back in the lake in a few weeks as the ice goes out early in April here in Southern Ontario! Wooo! Will start working on this issue and will let you know what I find. My Tach stopped working right at the end of the season as well! Ugh! LOL

Should be putting the boat back in the lake in a few weeks as the ice goes out early in April here in Southern Ontario! Wooo! Will start working on this issue and will let you know what I find. My Tach stopped working right at the end of the season as well! Ugh! LOL

My tach shorts out when I turn my NAV lights on. Strange!!

I know in my boat that most of the gauges use a jumper wire to power the gauges... my guess is that one of your jumper wires is cut or damaged? Go in behind and check where the red power wire is coming from on your tach.

Tried a few more things this weekend... I checked continuity from the speed sensor connector just inside the hull right where the wires go through the transom out to the sensor... up to the connector that plugs into the back of the speedo. Both (white) wires have good connectivity. Then I checked that the other 3 wires on the speedo connector have power (Purple has 12v with either the Blue or the Black wires (both are connected to ground)), with the ignition key on. So I have 2 speedo gauges, 2 speed sensors, wires seem to have connectivity and power... I'm a little baffled on where to go next? I'm thinking to try testing the voltage on a replacement speed sensor, someone said it should be 4v - 9v (which surprises me a bit on how do they generate that much voltage just by spinning a magnet wheel?) Can someone confirm what voltages I should be getting from the speed sensor? THX

I haven't looked at this for awhile. But I don't think it's the sensor creating the current. I think the leads are powered and this is the current that results when the wheel is in its various positions. I will see if I can find the original procedure

I found this on another post:

To test the speed sensor you'll need to remove the connector on the speed sensor side using a terminal tool, then plug the terminals back in and you'll be able to touch the terminals to measure the voltage, positive on the red wire, neg on the black, nothing on the third yellow wire.(I think the colors are right, they have changed colors since then so it's from memory) slowly move the paddle wheel and each 1/8 turn the voltage should change from 8.5V to 5.5V, it's the rate of this change is how it determines the speed. normally when the speed sensor fails, you will get no voltage reading at all meaning that the sensor is toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back