Speed Gauge working intermittently - Utopia 2003

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasguild

Hi Friends

I have a 2003 Utopia and on my last two trips out, I notice my speed gauge works on and off intermittently. It will typically NOT work when I drive off but 10 to 20 minutes into the drive, it just starts to work again. When its not working, the speed gauge just stays at zero even though the boat is in motion.

Any ideas on what this could be?

thanks

Hi Friends

I have a 2003 Utopia and on my last two trips out, I notice my speed gauge works on and off intermittently. It will typically NOT work when I drive off but 10 to 20 minutes into the drive, it just starts to work again. When its not working, the speed gauge just stays at zero even though the boat is in motion.

Any ideas on what this could be?

thanks
Mine is dead 100% as well.

If I could get some assurance that it is the gauge itself, I would invest in the $80 replacement option (even though I have a GPS that provide speed information that is probably more accurate than the OEM.) I guess I just hate settling for non functional things in my life.:confused:

common issue, could be as simple as the wires on the back of the speedo have gotten loose but more than likely has to do with the paddle wheel that relays the info back to the speedo.

Mine doesn't work but I have it on my GPS/Depth finder and is probably way more accurate than the speedo would be anyways.

If I could get some assurance that it is the gauge itself, I would invest in the $80 replacement option (even though I have a GPS that provide speed information that is probably more accurate than the OEM.) I guess I just hate settling for non functional things in my life.:confused:
If I could test the gauge I would buy the candoo gps replacement pickup for $124.

Part Number -> 9508 [9508] - $124.00 : CANDooPro LLC, Diagnostic Tools

They make them with and without lake temp sensor.

I would like to keep my original gauges so if someone knew a test method me and jasguild could have a 100% working speedo that is 100% acurruate.

Does this work with the existing gauge?? If so, this option would require disconnecting the paddle wheel instead, correct? What is a lake temp sensor?
Yes, unplug paddle wheel and plug in and calibrate. There are YouTube videos. Lake sensor is on newer models.

Yes, unplug paddle wheel and plug in and calibrate. There are YouTube videos. Lake sensor is on newer models.

So if its not the paddle wheel, but instead the speedometer, or the speed sensor, upgrading to the candoopro wont work, correct?

Is there a way I can diagnose whether its the paddle wheel, the speedometer or speed sensor?

thanks

So if its not the paddle wheel, but instead the speedometer, or the speed sensor, upgrading to the candoopro wont work, correct?

Is there a way I can diagnose whether its the paddle wheel, the speedometer or speed sensor?

thanks
Correct, I have same question

Ok I am convinced I got a poltergeist in my gauges.

I went out yesterday and my speedometer worked perfectly but now the tachometer has stopped working. Same thing like my speedometer last week. Its just stays at zero.

Is there any correlation between the two gauges?

Check your under helm connectors for minor corrosion! Most times speedo issues are the pickup paddle and in the service manual there's a section on how to check the signal that comes from the pickup paddle using a voltmeter. Connect the voltmeter to the grey wire of the tachometer and a black ground, set it on 20 volt scale first. It should move from about 1 volt to about 10 volts. If you see these pulese, it's a sign of life, if no pulse, there's no signal So power on/up the helm with the start button (DESS removed) and have someone spin the pickup rotor and watch the voltmeter for pulses. If no pulse signal there is no signal arriving from the sender paddle thingy.

I use hat pins to back-probe the waterproof connectors, try not to destroy the silicone rubber seals, just slip the pin alongside the wire till it bottoms out on the crimped pin internally. You may have to maintain slight pressure while taking the measurements.

Last edited:
thanks I will take a stab at this before the week is out.

Jasguild

Sorry above I confused the tachometer test with the speedometer test, the grey wire is tach signal but you needed to know the speedo signal is the purple wire with yellow stripe connected to the speedometer. That's the signal wire from the speedometer paddle wheel you need to check, about 1~10V DC pulse.
Sorry about that....

It’s the same pickup sensor it shows

The pickup sensor is pretty simple, can be tested with a voltmeter as long as it's connected in the circuit. I've repaired them, just a three pin hall IC and a zener diode. I believe they all use the same design although some have another wire, I guess the IC in that case is powered directly by 12V? If it has the water temperature probe, the thermistor is included.

**** It seems on my drawing I wrote 5.8V is the low, so the 1V I guessed above isn't 100% correct in this case. The important aspect is you should see a pulse on the purple wire with yellow stripe as the paddle spins. Either you will or you wont, most likely. If the voltage is near zero then disconnect the sensor and see if the voltage rises to near 10V or over. If yes, this indicates the sensor is defective. You can simulate the sensor, see if you can devise a way or I can explain how I do it if you need.

Speedometer Sensor Hall Effect.jpg.

Last edited:
well I finally got behind the console and I think I figured it out (I havent tested it yet on the water). The 4 prong connector on the tachometer was kinda loose.

I am hopeful that that was the source of the problem for both gauges. I will confirm when I go out again

Thank you all.

Last edited:
well I finally got behind the console and I think I figured it out (I havent tested it yet on the water). The 4 prong connector on the tachometer was kinda loose.

I am hopeful that that was the source of the problem for both gauges. I will confirm when I go out again

Thank you all.

If that doesn’t do it check the wire as it goes up the stern. The insulation on mine was cracked and the wires coorroded. I was able to cut it back, solder them and heat shrink tube. I actually took the sensor off and put it on my jet ski and bought the candoo gps module, installing today.

I installed the candoo gps today and it looks like my gauge is broken. Signal looks good from gps but nothing on the gauge. Going to move it to my xpDi that uses the same sensor. Ordered this gauge instead. Hope this helps you guysIMG_6973.JPG

If I could test the gauge I would buy the candoo gps replacement pickup for $124.

Part Number -> 9508 [9508] - $124.00 : CANDooPro LLC, Diagnostic Tools

They make them with and without lake temp sensor.

I bought the Candoo sensor and will be installing it on a 2000 RX. I found a flat spot up front near the hood. It says a certain side needs to be pointed up so I am decided how I want to mount the sensor. Has anyone mounted one of these and if so where? How is the performance? Thanks in Advance !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back