sp runs! driveshaft bellows spins? + what tube is this?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroMan

so got the SP running yesterday after an insurmountable amount of cranking! The pump in carb looked like it wanted fuel poured down there to prime - dunno but now it starts quite easily.

I noticed the driveshaft bellows spin now and then, is the bearing ceased? do i have to remove the jet to inspect?

Also - on the port (left if facing fwd) is a cluster of tubes and one is alone -

DSC_0617.JPG

Currently its lying in the bilge - does it need to be plugged in somewhere?

Also the oil tank has what looks like a small plastic solenoid - its open, does it need to be attached to something? (the above hose perhaps?)

Lastly - on top of the engine is a clear tube coming out the top- this was kind of bubbling a little bit of fluid - is this correct? It looks like water but not 100% sure -

thanks!

The bellows should not spin. Based on your description, it sounds like you have a carrier bearing style as compared to the Carbon Seal style. In either case, the bellows should not spin. You will need at a minimum a new bearing setup and a bellows assuming it is damaged.

Post a pic of the style you have.

The bellows should not spin. Based on your description, it sounds like you have a carrier bearing style as compared to the Carbon Seal style. In either case, the bellows should not spin. You will need at a minimum a new bearing setup and a bellows assuming it is damaged.

Post a pic of the style you have.

hi thanks! here we go -

DSC_0615.JPG

Thats all i have - does it help?

I can get better ones and remove that plastic cover when im back at the marina. its a 92 sp 580..

Definitely shouldn't be spinning. Front hose clamp should be tight down on bearing, the rear one tightens down on the glass of the ski.

ok great thanks - maybe the clamp has loosened over time from compression! will snug it up and see - prob use this few times a year at this point - lakes nearby are ridiculously strict and expensive!

Just had this on my 95 xp this weekend. Hose was spinning due to the carrier bearing being frozen to the drive shaft. Replaced the bearing and the hose. Was an easy fix that took about 2 hours.

great thanks, just the bearings then? was going to take it on the water right now for a quick spin on the water to see if it goes forward at all but maybe ill skip that - maybe ill run it for 2 minutes and pack it up.. just rebuilt carb and wanted to check how its running..

Rear jet has to come off right?

Remove the grey PTO cover, could be the zerk needs grease into that bearing. The loose clear tube going to transome is the battery
vent tube. (old style)

Yes, remove the steering and VTS linkage, remove 4 nuts and the pump assembly. Loosen three clamps on the drive shaft boots, and loosen the to two zerk fittings (not sure if that's necessary). The drive shaft slid out after a little coaxing (my bearings were a bit seized up).

I cleaned the drive shaft with high grit sandpaper to remove the residue left from the bearings, and replaced with the replacement from OSDparts.com

awesome thanks will look into this - had it out yesterday, ran pretty good! might have a teeny bit too much oil on the pump cable - but good smooth power all the way.

Only thing is theres a loud rattling that comes and goes at idle, even in the water - not sure what it is.. when i blip the throttle it goes away. sounds like a loose exhaust on a car lol.. maybe the starter is contacting the flywheel or something in the jet/impeller is loose?

The marbles in a can sound comes to mind - but when shes running above idle smooth as silk..

Had her out for 15 mins whizzing about.. between hard pulls and putting about - never stalled once and good throttle response. When i popped my wife on for a short ride I could feel the poor old 580 lagging a bit more (shes 6ft/160lbs) - compression test yielded both at exactly 125psi..

Also - I have 2 strong jet streams out the rear, i presume these are the two bilge pumps or what? when it was idling in the water / on the hose there was nothing.. is this correct?

I presume the PO installed a flush kit, theres a plastic t with a rubber cap and a spring loaded green hose that clips onto that - when flushing I dont have to remove anything else right? Just let the water flow once running and close water off right before shutting down?

Is there no tell tale on these things (like an outboard)? I do have a tube coming of the top of the head that has little bubbles popping out of it, is this the cooling indicator?

Im hoping that being able to run this thing for 15 mins means its going ok?

Little concerned about the rattle tho - also, do these things want to move forward when idling? Mine kept wanting to go forward all the time - I had the idle a little high cos of that rattling and not wanting it to stall.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi thanks! here we go -

View attachment 39686

Thats all i have - does it help?

I can get better ones and remove that plastic cover when im back at the marina. its a 92 sp 580..

Thankful I found this thread as the pictures and content are helpful. I need pictures of the engine compartment and the hose locations and connection points. I'd like to get my SPI up to snuff and insure everything is as it should be.

Question. The Red Cap - Is that location where the water line connects when the ski is out of the water? What do I need to connect into it via water hose.? I am just learning about Jet Skis but have lots of mechanical experience. :) Some of this stuff doesn't look right. LOL But it is 20 years old and I am sure lots of hands have been in it. C'est Lavie !!

Cheers,
Gene
1996 Seadoo SPI

haha - yes i presume so. I am in the same boat. I got it with the ski - there is a green hose that clips onto that fitting under the red cap with a spring - on the other end is a hose fitting.

You have to run the motor FIRST and only put water on once running (a ski will run fine for a minute or 2 without water on idle and a slight rev).. You also have to shut the water off before killing the motor. Manual states that clearly.

What I dont know is if i need to disconnect anything else lol - i saw a guy with the hose going to the top of the motor and the manual mentions sth about disconnecting the exhaust hose or something bla bla -

hopefully someone with knowledge will chime in! Is yours running well? Mine is near impossible to start - despite rebuilding carb.. someone mentioned it could be rotary valve timing..

Camero Man... I have a lot of the same questions. Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about in your hoses and engine compartment? One of my hoses going out the rear is cut off and plugged. I believe the other line I have marked comes from the head and goes straight to the rear of the jet ski. Where WAS the point of origin for the other line. I have lots more pictures and question. Hope I don't bother you guys to much but I just want to get it right.

Jet Ski Engine Compart 2-Edit.jpg

Cheers,
Gene
1996 Seadoo SPI

Well, I only got mine Monday. LOL I've got tons of experience but zip on boats other than what applies. :) I am a motorcycle kinda guy with a good bit of two stroke expeience. :) To answer you question. The guy only started the ski for a second so I don't know HOW it will perform in the water. :) I plan on going through the carb and cleaning the fuel lines. I am considering removing the oil pump and going with premix. Doesn't even look like the oil pump could possibly be working. The cable has so much slack it doesn't even move the oil pump lever.

I don't even know what you call the stuff in the engine compartment but I do love taking stuff apart and fixing it up. :)

If I can help, just ask. I got the camera on the phone figured out and I am dangerous with it. Like identify this device that is located on top of the exhaust manifold. :)

Jet Ski Exhaust device-E.jpg

Take Care and Good luck to us both bro.
Gene
Pearl River, LA
1996 Seadoo SPI

yeah sure - ill take some more and post back later. I only have like 3 pics. What specifically did u want photographed?

Pics of my engine compartment. I will post more when it dries up a bit from the rain. This is a 1996 Seadoo SPI.

Rear of the engine compartment blue line is the steering cable.

Jet Ski Steering Cable-E.jpg

Not sure if below is some type of filter.
Jet Ski Oil Filter-E.jpg

Is this the flush port and what do I need to connect? Can I install a quick connect on this line?
Jet Ski Flush Port-E.jpg

Cheers,
Gene
Pearl River, LA
1996 SPI

yeah sure - ill take some more and post back later. I only have like 3 pics. What specifically did u want photographed?

I have lines laying around not secured. I would assume they should routed and attached to something in a certain way. Perhaps my expectations are too high. :) I have a few questions. I'll take pictures and post. I can't identify items in the pictures... clueless me. LOL I like pretty and neat... perhaps that doesn't work with Jet Skis. :)

Stand by...

Cheers,
Gene
Pearl River, LA
1996 SPI

yours looks just like mine, yes that white thing is an oil filter for the autolube. apparently these mikuni oil pumps are very reliable and dont fail so im leaving mine in place.

My oil pump cable (from throttle plate) is also VERY loose and doesnt return properly.

That black hose going back is either an overflow line or the bilge pump exit lines, i have the same.

that red cap yes - u attach the flush hose onto the fitting under the red cap. Ill send a pic thru when i get back to the boat yard maybe later today.

and yes those 2 pumps are bilge pumps i think, i saw 2 jets streaming out the back of mine when running in water however on the hose I dont have it so not sure if theres something im missing lol.

I bought micro fuel line from home depot and replace the little oil lines around the carb on engine - be very careful, i broke off the darn brass tube trying ti get the ss clamp off, just pull it off straight, dont wiggle it with pliers, they have valves inside to stop oil dripping down without pressure. I have to order a replacement on ebay!

mine were literally falling apart!!! my other lines are good tho. download the manual, there are some tests u need to do. Buy a $8 foot pump from walmart witht he gauge (in the bicycle section). its a one way valve and will help u find leaks, test carbs etc. VERY handy. You can also buy 2 tire valves from autozone for 3 bucks, strio the rubber off and u can also use that with some fittings to connect to the various bits. Remove the tire valve inner thingy so its just like a pipe, clamp the other side to rubber tubing -

Dude... next to me... you are a guru. LOL I'm gonna take more pictures. You may have even talked me into keeping the oil pump. It is much easier not to have to mix fuel. Definitely mine needs adjustment. I really want to identify parts and route lines correctly. I have a question about a rubber bumper under the exhaust pipe. I am thinking it needs to be secured as in epoxy or something as nothing is holding it fast to the mount.

take good pics and post em up - ive only had this thing 2 months, 1st ski and i know zip.. but ive been wrenching almost 20 yrs now lol so yeah that helps

OK.... Identify these lines ?? I will be getting under the hood :) in a few days I'd just like to know how to run these lines and which ones to replace and understand a bit more than I do. Hope this helps. :D

Line from head to rear discharge of Ski. To the left I have an arrow point to the large hose connection. I am wondering if an o-ring should go at the bottom between the hose connections.
Engine Hose Top.jpg

Looks like water inside this filter. Goes to rear for connection. The clear line is from engine head to rear of jet ski the one pictured above.
Filter Housing.jpg

Line from under the exhaust manifold to rear... not sure where it ends up. :)
Clear hose to back.jpg

I haven't disconnected these so I don't know if both are fuel or none are fuel.
Carb hoses.jpg

This is the filter I assume is water :) goes out the back and don't know what it is called or the purpose I am gonna have fun marking labeling and understanding what these do. I love this stuff. :)
Filter Hose.jpg

What are these black hoses up front that connect to nothing?
Front Hose A.jpg
Front Hose A.jpg

Fuel tank hoses
Fuel Tank Hoses.jpg

I'd like to get the lanyard and key for safety. This is all there is. :)
Key Switch.jpg

All I have for now but should be enough for some head scratching. i will be looking in the manual but would appreciate input, comments, etc. Please be kind. I've been scarred a lot on these forums.

Cheers,
Gene
Pearl River, LA
1996 Seadoo SPI

Attachments

• Key Switch.jpg
    Key Switch.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back