Sorta funny story...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooper77515

freebie fixer
Premium Member
I spent most of the day at my dad's machine shop cutting the heads off of 6 of the 8 bolts that hold the exhaust manifold onto the cylinders. 2 came right out, the others didn't budge even with a torch on them.

I know that a new one costs almost $300, so I wanted to save this one to use on my new motor.

Well, I put it on the milling machine and work all the bolt heads down to the washers. On the last one, I hold on to the manifold thinking it will fall off, and I don't want to break it having it fall to the ground.

Last bolt milled off, and it won't move.

So we heat it again, and tap with a rubber mallet, no go.

Pry bars under the little lips...uh uh!

So we pull out BIG hammers and steel wedges and start to pound the crap out of them. The one with only 2 bolts in it came off after about 45 minutes of pounding, then the bolts come out of the cylinder VERY EASILY by finger :rant:

Apparently, the smooth parts of the bolts under the head are corroded solid to the manifold bolt holes. The threaded parts weren't stuck, and were actually in good shape and went in and out by finger.

So to save the manifold, I take it back to the milling machine and try to drill out the bolts, but the mill is wandering and thinning out the material on the outside of the bolt holes :boxing_smiley:

So I tell dad I am going home (1.5 hours and 70 miles each way!) and going to scrap the whole thing and buy a new manifold.

Get home, pull up e-bay, and one is Buy It Now for $15. YES, FIFTEEN dollars :ack:

Oh, almost forgot, my thumb ended up between one of the steel wedges and a 5 lb sledge on a full arced swing. But only once...

A day in the life of the Scooper...:reddevil:

Look around this winter you may be able to pick up a hole ski for next to nothing I allways seem to see the good deals when I am not in a hury. I see a 1994 3 seater now on craigslist here local $ 200.00 not bad if you needed some parts. I know this is not your type of engine but it would be good for someone else. :cheers:

Just bought a new in box starter off ebay with 1-year warranty for $65. New ones go $250+.

I need to start looking at ebay before I start to mess around with new.

I don't NEED a new starter, mine works fine, but after taking mine off, I don't feel comfortable putting it back on. It has seen WAY too much salt water :ack:

Just bought a new in box starter off ebay with 1-year warranty for $65. New ones go $250+.

I need to start looking at ebay before I start to mess around with new.

I don't NEED a new starter, mine works fine, but after taking mine off, I don't feel comfortable putting it back on. It has seen WAY too much salt water :ack:
sounds like a good Idea at least you know every thing on the engine is new. I would treat it like a $3000.00 engine when you go to brake it in. check it all out and the double check it. Make sure that the injection system is working perfect and the plugs look like they are burning as they should. I know you know this so I should not be telling you this but maybe someone else can profit from it :cheers:

You never know what I know...just think...Karl drove this boat for 6 months no problem.

I have it for 3 months and crater the motor.

So any hints and pointers are GREATLY appreciated.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back