Some people eh.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 1mm overbore so I shaved my rave valves and was very meticulous. I got a .020" feeler in there so I was comfortable with it. I don't think it is the rave valves but I got a very raspy low end till about 4500. The raves were adjusted pretty tight so I loosened them up a bit. I'm gonna pull the carbs and do some checks.

4500 is normally where the main jet would kick in if it's carb related. Raves are closer to 5500-6000 if your easy on the throttle.
They do normally pop up with hard throttle at lower rpm though.

Ha ha !!! I'm not a carb tuner but I will be soon I guess. From what I gather I may be rich on the slow speed end. I'm gonna check and get serious about it.

Ha ha !!! I'm not a carb tuner but I will be soon I guess. From what I gather I may be rich on the slow speed end. I'm gonna check and get serious about it.

What style of rave valves do you have ? Old or new style.
Being rich on low end wouldn't make it hard to get to top end rpm.

What style of rave valves do you have ? Old or new style.
Being rich on low end wouldn't make it hard to get to top end rpm.

Top end RPM is really good. Not broke in all the way yet so we don't do wide open but it is faster than the other GPX and ya gotta hang on when it hits 6 grand. I guess I did the raves righteous. :D Bogs really bad down low and clears up by 4500rpm. I'm gonna pull the carbs and have a look. I didn't set the pop-offs. I wish I could sync the carbs like we do motorcycles. Have not fouled a plug on this ski though. I built the engine with Ebay parts, the old one was shot beyond belief.

When I run the ski out of the water, you can't quite detect the stumble. Idles good. 2k to 4500 is sputtering and it does not respond to the throttle setting well.... unless you nail it. Then hang on !! :) I thought it might have been that I was running 32:1 initially. Sometimes 2-smokes don't like that much oil.

Ah that makes more sense.
Synching the carbs is easy on these.
Set low speed at 1 turn out. You will end up between 1 1/4 and 1 1/3. It's a fine adjustment.
Next remove the link between carbs and listen the jam nuts so you can easily turn the adjustment link in and out.
Reinstall and hold it wide open and adjust the throttle cable so it pulls the butterfly valve open enough that you can see it just by the tip of the ventury in the middle on the mag side.
Then look at the pto carb and adjust the link untill they are as close as you can get it.
Then release the throttle and loose the throttle cable.
Then turn the idle off. As in all the way down.
Open and close the throttle quickly and listen to the clack the valves make. It should sound the same on both carbs.
You can also sync them at full closed this way too.

Then all you need to do is tighten the link, throttle cable, and set the idle again.

Pop off should be 38 psi with black spring. But you might find that the carb body is worn so you get 32 instead.

When I run the ski out of the water, you can't quite detect the stumble. Idles good. 2k to 4500 is sputtering and it does not respond to the throttle setting well.... unless you nail it. Then hang on !! :) I thought it might have been that I was running 32:1 initially. Sometimes 2-smokes don't like that much oil.

Oil wouldn't do that much to hurt performance.
Low speed is tricky on these.
I typically go through half a can of carb cleaner per carb just going through the low speed jet circuit without the jet installed.

What do the plugs look like when your running in the trouble zone foe a bit ?

I need another hour before I would call it broken in so I haven't opened anything up yet. That would be a good check though but I'm gonna try to handle it before we go out again. I'd expect a rich condition for whatever reason. I may have the low speed jets open too much. We'll see. I will keep you posted.

Where are your low speed jets. I should be around 1-1/4 but I will check. I am moving skis around today so I won't be working on that.

Mine was closser to 1 because of lower pop off and because the low soeed passages are very clean and probably slightly bigger now lol

I am building a base to put the ski on in the shop. I am too spontaneous... LOL it's exciting but fun.

Get a shopping cart. Cut the legs off under the basket and drill holes through them for the 2x4's. Add carpet and voila you have a bubbles seadoo cart.

Get a shopping cart. Cut the legs off under the basket and drill holes through them for the 2x4's. Add carpet and voila you have a bubbles seadoo cart.
That will only work if he steals the shopping cart, but if he finds it at the bottom of a hill off mall property it counts too.

9c4eccad4860abfb5b1b953e7868da83.jpg
Here in Halifax we get them from Bubbles lol

The stores will often scrap ones that have bent baskets.

Does bubbles ship ??? LOL I about got it done and I found some use for my backhoe. It hasn't run in years but I used it to lift the skis off the trailer and load them on another one. Backhoe repairs are on my list as well.

Cool. There's always more to the list.

Had it out for the first time today for an aggressive break in. Worked great and settled in at 163psi per hole. And that's with a 6 hole gasket!
I found a small water leak on one of the frost plugs and one rave leaking. Luckily I have a few spare rave assemblies that are good.
I have to say that I hate the Accel pumps. I think I'll turn it off and run #70 pilots instead. I'm really missing that on and off throttle response sensation that this just doesn't have without the 70's.
I notice that while playing around it seems to get loaded down pretty easily and feel under powererd. As in it needs to be on the main jet while in the midrange in order to have any mid to top end punch. Otherwise its slow to get there.

I also swapped the water regulator valve so I'm trying to tune that.
Although I know the theory of how it works I don't know if it actually does anything different to performance with the screw all the way in or flush as the manual says. Also I don't have a washer under the cap. Maybe I need full pressure and a washer for it to do something noticeable.
I'm really missing low end and all the exhaust components are staying cool as normal.

Also I'm wondering if the raves require more pressure with that washer under the caps as well... seems to not have that low end snap it should.

I pulled the carbs on the GTX. I think I found the problem. I didn't check the pop-offs on first assembly and it was 15psi and the tab height for the bellows was way off. I also did my best to clear the 3 little holes on both carbs. I had trouble getting the needle to seal on the second carb but pop-off on both were very close to 26 if not spot on. When the DESS key come back I am planning on riding with my wife. I expect the transition to do a lot better. My raves were adjusted pretty deep. I have no experience with setting them but the ski hit really really hard at 6K. I backed the rave setting off to "flush" with the top of the valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back