solenoid?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogman

I have a 2001 Islandia. I am getting it ready for the season but it will not start. The battery is good and I even checked the starter. How would I check the solenoid to see if it is ok?

It's a pretty simple check. On your solenoid you will have four terminals. One large terminal going to the starter, one large terminal coming from the battery with a few extra leads coming off it for accessory power, one ground terminal, and one small terminal with a wire coming from the ignition switch through the neutral safety switch (should be yellow/red I believe).

To test it simply jump the small terminal coming from the ignition switch to the terminal coming from the battery. If the starter turns the solenoid is good. If not you need a new one.

You can also check to make sure the solenoid is getting its signal from the ignition switch by using a test light on the ignition switch terminal when you turn the key to start.

Aaron:cheers:

You can always work backwards as well. Hard wire a switch between the starter and the battery to make sure the starter does turn over, then trace backwards for power using the test light.

Not sure how you checked the starter but in my 03 Sportster that's I did when I would just get a click... click... click... sound when pushing the button.

Also in order to properly test a battery you need a load tester. Simple volt meter won't tell if there's a drop in V's when there's a draw on it.

Do you get any click from the solenoid when htting the start button at all?

Thanks for the information. I got it running. It helps when you check all of the connections to see if they are connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back