Smokes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyTerri

I have a 1997 Sea-Doo gti on first start up after it has been setting for a few days it smokes really bad for a few minutes. After that it don't smoke but let it set for a few days and it will do it again. Oil statement has been by passed but still have the lower side hooked up. I was told that needs to be hooked up and use motor oil in it. What would the cuase be.

First off, yes you still have to provide oil to the lower rotary gear of the engine. It has to be API-TC rated oil only. No TCW-3 outboard oil or automotive oil, this could be your problem.

If it it is smoking at startup it it typically the inner crank seals going bad and the crank has to be replaced. If it is only doing it at startup and not using a lot of oil you will probably get by running it as is for a few more seasons. Some people put a valve on the oil lines to shut it off when in storage.

If it is standard automotive engine oil like 5w-30 absolutely not.

Like I said, only API-TC rated oil. Lucas sells a API-TC semi synthetic at O'Riley's.

Not that i'd recommend it, but I've got a buddy that capped off the RV and filled it with grease on his beater/loaner 787 ski about 4 years ago and has had zero issues

I would never fill it with grease as there are two bearings in there and the brass gear, Grease will not stay on the gear or bearings. Alos the inner bearing is shielded so you can't get grease into it from the cavity. Remember that gear is spinning at 7,000 rpm.

There is no "weight" of the oil, we are not using automotive oil like I said.

Buy this...
luc-10115_ml.jpg

60 minutes x 6000 rpm's = 360,000

360000 revolutions x 3 hours = 1,080,000

Running less than full throttle for just three hours, a long ride or short weekend, gives you over one million rotations. It's amazing how many rotations a crank does in it's lifetime.

100 hours = 36 million revolutions. Good oil is a must.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back