Slow Crank w/ no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delaney

I apologize if there is another discussion on this somewhere else. I couldn't find one.

I recently bought a '12 RXT-X aS 260. It has about 57 hours on it.

The last time I rode it, I rode for about 20-25 minutes then it just stalls running at full throttle. When I tried restarting, I would get a very slow or weak crank and the gauges would dim to barely visible. The temp light would come on (the ski read 203 engine temp), check engine light on, and the display read "limp home mode". It wouldn't let me start to even "limp" to the ramp, so I had to be towed.

Also, while it was running, it would only reach speeds of 60mph.

What would be causing the slow/weak crank? Bad starter? Bad ground? Help!

Get the batter load tested at a local auto parts store, let's see if it has a dead cell or one that is shorting out.

Once you get it running, start it and see what the voltage is at the battery. It should be above 13 to around 13.5 at idle. Rev it up a bit and it should go above 14 volts. If not, either the battery has a dead cell and or the charging system is bad...

X2 on testing the battery.

While you are at it, check all the battery connections at the battery and the other end of those cables for good clean connections. I think you will be fine with a new battery. Do as Coastie said and check the voltage to make sure your system is recharging the battery.

Thank you for the reply!

I will be taking the battery to the parts store very soon. I will post those results as I get them.

About the 60mph issue...I was looking for speeds in the upper 60s on this thing! Any ideas why it's not achieving that?

Thank you for the reply!

About the 60mph issue...I was looking for speeds in the upper 60s on this thing! Any ideas why it's not achieving that?

First thing I would check is oil level. It should be between the marks. If over at all that will slow these units down.

Do you trailer your unit? Build up from Sitting in the water will slow a boat real fast.

If you are not getting proper power to the controls and sensors that may have held you back as well. After you check out the battery and fix that, check the charging and report back.

Thanks again for the replies!

Not sure what the max RPM's were. I've only had the chance to ride this thing a couple times and each time it's something different. I just wanna go fast!!

Just got back from parts store and battery checked out "bad". I will get that replaced and hook it up to the hose to check the oil, and check the voltage at the battery. Will more than likely have to wait for the weekend before I can get on the water and check RPMs.

Is it possible that something within the ski is making the battery go bad? It's a fairly new battery.

Thanks again for the replies!

Not sure what the max RPM's were. I've only had the chance to ride this thing a couple times and each time it's something different. I just wanna go fast!!

Just got back from parts store and battery checked out "bad". I will get that replaced and hook it up to the hose to check the oil, and check the voltage at the battery. Will more than likely have to wait for the weekend before I can get on the water and check RPMs.

Is it possible that something within the ski is making the battery go bad? It's a fairly new battery.

Be aware not to turn on the hose until after the ski is running, and turn it off before stopping engine. If you are just going to check the charging you should be able to do it with out a hose. Just have a meter ready, read voltage of battery, start engine, read voltage again, slightly rev engine with meter attached, then kill engine. Voltage should rise when running above the battery voltage at rest.

As for the battery.... They fail quite often. Not likely anything to do with the ski. Was the ski winterized and battery disconnected over the winter? If not that could have killed it for the most part.

Friend of mine has a 2015 RXT SC and he achieved 77 mph (I personally tried it up to 65 before I got scared!).

Benji.

Could be something in the intake grate of the impeller and in the impeller.
Your cooling water intake is in the impeller pump section. So if something is clogging it, it would also cut down your speed. Maybe even rapped around the shaft.

Let us know?

Did battery test last night while running and got 14.1 at the battery. It dropped to about 8 (maybe a bad connection with the terminals on voltage meter) for a second and shot right back up 14.1. Went to rev it a little to see if it would raise or not and check engine light came on so I killed it.

The reason I was hooking it up to hose was to get the ski up to running temp to check the oil. Is this the correct way to get the most accurate reading?

Did a visual check on the impeller and didn't see anything, but will look again this evening. It was getting late and I also planned on putting a feeler gauge between impeller and wear ring.

Did battery test last night while running and got 14.1 at the battery. It dropped to about 8 (maybe a bad connection with the terminals on voltage meter) for a second and shot right back up 14.1. Went to rev it a little to see if it would raise or not and check engine light came on so I killed it.

The reason I was hooking it up to hose was to get the ski up to running temp to check the oil. Is this the correct way to get the most accurate reading?

Did a visual check on the impeller and didn't see anything, but will look again this evening. It was getting late and I also planned on putting a feeler gauge between impeller and wear ring.

14.1 volts is good. Your system is charging and that should take care of some of your problems.

When the check engine light came on were you able to see or retrieve any codes?

As for oil, I check mine while cold before I head out each trip. How was your oil level after running?

Take it back out when you can and report back with the RPMS and speed via GPS.

OK, put new battery in and still slow crank. Removed plugs and it's crank a lot faster, but still not as fast as I think it should be.

I'm thinking starter at this point unless there is a bad/weak connection somewhere. Any suggestions on diagnosing a starter?

If I'm able to pull codes from this thing without BUDS system, I'm all ears!

Running on or off the hose, nothing more than a minute ish. On the hose the water runs backwards and FLUSHES the engine. It does not really cool it.

Anytime the ski is run out of the water, the Carbon Seal is being run dry. They get pretty hot pretty quick and destroy themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running on or off the hose, nothing more than a minute ish. On the hose the water runs backwards and FLUSHES the engine. It does not really cool it.

Anytime the ski is run out of the water, the Carbon Deal is being run dry. They get pretty hot pretty quick and destroy themselves.

It's only been run on the hose twice since I've owned it and never more than 3-4 minutes.

OK, put new battery in and still slow crank. Removed plugs and it's crank a lot faster, but still not as fast as I think it should be.

I'm thinking starter at this point unless there is a bad/weak connection somewhere. Any suggestions on diagnosing a starter?

If I'm able to pull codes from this thing without BUDS system, I'm all ears!

BUDS or CanDoo software are only ways I know of to get the codes and clear them.

Sounds like your starter or some of its connections (Grounds) may be the culprit.

Has anybody ever replaced a starter in the RXT-X aS? This is no easy task! There has to be a way to do this without taking the deck off.

New starter in and still having same symptoms.

Is it possible that I have too much compression? If so, what could have caused it?

I can't imagine you have too much compression. If you changed nothing, compression can't increase...

Using your car and jumper cables, take the hot jumper to the OUTPUT of the solenoid. Again, to the OUTPUT of the solenoid. This will NOT allow power to get to any of the critical parts such as the MPEM. Then take the ground jumper to the block. It will spark, so make sure there are no heavy fuel fumes and don't let the spark scare you.

If it turns over FAST as it should, then something from the solenoid forward is the issue, (Cable, connection, or the solenoid). If it is still slow, then it is the cable from the Solenoid to the starter or the starter. If it is slow, try to get the HOT jumper cable to stud on the starter, this will eliminate the cable from the solenoid. If it then cranks fast, it is that one cable. If slow, it has to be the starter as long as the starter s nice and tight to the block (well grounded).

New starter in and still having same symptoms.

Is it possible that I have too much compression? If so, what could have caused it?

Have you checked the pump, Impeller and drive shaft for any restrictions?
Sorry cant remember if that has been discussed or not...

Your pump bearings could be seizing,,,

Still do the test as I described just above. If it is still slow, then I would pull the pump and then see how it cranks.

The shaft will need to be supported or removed before you crank the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry for the delay.

I have been dealing with the dealership (or stealership as some like to call them) on this ski and it turns out that a bad intercooler (it was sold to me that way) has caused water to get inside the motor and ruining it. They are offering to buy the ski back from me or give me the ski with a new motor in it. They are claiming that they are unable to get that motor from SeaDoo and instead replacing it with an SBT motor.

My question is, what is everyone's opinion? Does anyone have any experience with the SBT 4-Tec motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back