Sleeved.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanix

Premium Member
Premium Member
So I've been trying to save cylinders by replacing sleeves.
So far I've done two 787's with success but with slight misalignment.

Yesterday I did two 951 cylinders (two seperate blocks)

Same slight misalignment but learned something.
If I press it back out slightly and use something to turn the sleeve while its moving I can get it perfect and then press it all back together.
With the 787's they were perfect after using this technique on them.
With the 951's I noticed they would set in a little deeper than the removed ones. So going to have to shave the block very slightly but overall I did manage to change sleeves
:)

I wonder what effect this will have. I mean in terms of how well will they make contact and dissipate heat, what happens after they settle in.
Should I have used sleeve retainer...?

Just experimenting and learning on otherwise scrap parts.

IF you throw the sleeve in the freezer and heat the cylinder casting in the oven the sleeves will usually drop in by hand.

Nothing is used to retain them except the tight fit and then the head so there is nowhere for them to go.

The top should always be decked after installing new sleeves or you will not have a good flat surface for head gasket sealing.

looks like im going to try this , when the wife isnt home . freezer and oven . she will smell it for sure . thats not as bad as dealing with a machine shop issue ,though. .
i have my bbq with a side burner anyone ever bbq there cylinders to removed and put new sleeves in? would make life better not havin wife throw a fit.after she notices the house smell like two stroke .worse the oven ...

Last edited:
looks like im going to try this , when the wife isnt home . freezer and oven . she will smell it for sure . thats not as bad as dealing with a machine shop issue ,though. .
i have my bbq with a side burner anyone ever bbq there cylinders to removed and put new sleeves in? would make life better not havin wife throw a fit.after she notices the house smell like two stroke .worse the oven ...
Women...they JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.....everything we do is for them anyway :p

I know this post is a little stale, but I recently removed the sleeves from my 951 using my grill. I made a box to set them in with the idea that I would set them on the box and carry them to the garage to drive them out. Well much to my surprise, when I took the cylinders off the grill at 425F and placed them on the box, one sleeve fell out and the other part way out!! It only took a couple love taps to remove the second one.

I have the new sleeves now and they are nestled in the freezer next to the chicken breasts. I plan to install tomorrow. I'm a little worried about alignment but will use the exhaust port as my guid and just try to do it with gloves quickly.

Here is the trick brace the cylinder, drive the sleeve 90%, use a piece of something between the lower lips of the sleeve and twist as you tap ropes it home. The idea is twist as it moves. You can get it perfect each time.

Make sure they are driven all the way and have the deck machined new sleeves are not the same height as oem were.

Welcome :)
I've been doing lots of them lately.
Had a few parts made as well to just press them out as well

Installed the new sleeves in the 951 cylinders today. Heated the cylinder to 425F on the gas grill (approx. 45 mins) to get them evenly heated inside and out. I was using an infrared thermometer to check the temperature. The cylinders were in the freezer over night. The sleeves literally dropped in without the least bit of resistance. I was able to rotate the sleeve with my gloved hand while eyeing the exhaust port.

Thrilled with the result. I suspect 425F was overkill since I was also placing the sleeves in the freezer. However, it was nice not to be rushed. I will take them to the machine shop on Monday along with the pistons and have them bore, hone and deck.

Sometimes you expect easy and it's hard, other times you expect hard and it's easy. :thumbs-up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back