Sleeper explorer?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LBH

Have an explorer with a destroyed engine.

Thinking about a 951 and a big pump modification because although I really like this little boat it does lack some guts. Would be nice to Cary a full load of people or pull a big skier.

I have the building and composite skills to do this.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Have lot so of experience with the 717 engine and the 140 pump but not the bigger.

Looks like the exhaust on the 951 might go to the other side....

Leigh

Not sure if you will have the room underneath the seat but anything can be done. The easier solution would be to get a fresh 717 and then use the big hub 140mm pump from the later 717 powered craft. Those help get things going out of the hole a lot better.

There are a couple ways to go on the conversion mounting. You can do all the glass work or make a conversion plate that bolts to the 717 mounts and then holds the larger engine. The exhaust of the 951 does go out the other side but you can make a crossover piece of exhaust pipe with silicone couplers or glass the rear hole closed and drill one on the other side.

You should go into a project like that with a donor ski in hand because you will need all kinds of little things. The electronics, throttle cable, etc. are gonna be different.

Seat room not a problem. The 717 is completely below the seat flange save maybe the top of the spark plug wires.

Looking at a 1999 GSX as the donor.

Worried about the larger jet pump. Will the housing fit in the duct? The Explorer is a 140mm pump and the GSX is a 155. I am assuming that putting a bigger engine in without a bigger pump is like a hot rod with skinny tires.

Leigh

Adapting the 155 pump is a lot of work if you do it right. I have seen others just stretch the two lower pump holes and just stick it on there with silicone. I am not sure if there’s room up in there because I have not converted and explorer myself. An easier solution would be to keep the 140 mm pump but get an impeller that’s pitched for the power of the 951. I have plenty of those don’t pay over 100 if you go that way.

We got our hands on the 99 GTS donor. As my Son digs in to it we find a very destroyed piston. What causes this? Hopefully the bottom end has survived.

Attachments

• 4850AC5F-93C5-4585-B129-9A6363E12957.jpeg
    4850AC5F-93C5-4585-B129-9A6363E12957.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You must have a 99 GTX since that pic is from a 951. They are great running engines but they fail commonly compared to other engines. If you get everything right at the same time they will go for 200-300 hrs.

H
You must have a 99 GTX since that pic is from a 951. They are great running engines but they fail commonly compared to other engines. If you get everything right at the same time they will go for 200-300 hrs.

Actually it’s a 99 GSX. Unfortunately the crank case below the destroyed piston was full of water. Strangely only on that side.

Looks like a total rebuild required.

Sigh.

Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back