Ski filling with water while sitting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzma823

Went out riding this weekend and I was having a few problems with my 1997 Seadoo GS. It was ridden for a few hours and after a while it seemed to have a decent amount of water in it causing it to be unstable (only about 4 inches deep). I figured it was from doing tricks and having the water rush up the nose of the ski, but then I ran in a straight line for a while to let the automatic bilge do its thing (they do have them right? I was pretty sure but maybe mine isnt working), it didnt empty. Not a big deal because the other ski needed to be refueled so we trailered both, pulled the drain plugs on the GS and fueled both up. Once the GS was fully drained I put the drain plugs back in (AND YES THEY WERE FULLY IN, I CHECKED MULTIPLE TIMES -lol). We put both skis in the water and rode them over to the anchors. We then went on shore to eat. The GS sat for about an hour and when we went to use it, it was filled with water (to the top of the engine).
I was wondering if there is a common cause for this on seadoos. I heard that the rubber boot and bearings for the drive shaft (where the shaft comes into the hull) have a tendency to leak. I also anchored the skis by attaching the line to the rear of the ski, could this cause water to be forced in through the exhaust system and possibly exit somewhere inside the engine bay? I have done this all season but they never sat for more than a few minutes at a time :). Any other suggestions other than a hole in the hull? I think I will be installing an aftermarket bilge pump this winter, just for extra insurance.

Thanks for the help

P.S. The GS's seat also seems to pop lose when riding some times. The front unclips if I hit a wave to hard but all bolts seem tight. Any easy fixes for this problem, otherwise I will just extend the metal tongue on the front of the seat.

I would say maybe you pump is not working..
Checking the driveshaft hose is always a great choose (just replaced mine)
Maybe one of your hoses fell off and water is seeping in?
could be a missing boat...

not really sure how to help on a water leak question...
Thats just something you will have to look for (the hole or whatever)

Check the stabilizing fins on each side also. Next time, pull it from the water and watch where water comes OUT of the hull too.. You can put water in the hull from a hose while it is out of water and watch that way as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seadoo taking on water

Hi, this happened to me this summer after a bearing issue in the jet pump. At the point where the shaft goes through the hull a steel sleeve is used to create a pressure seal against a graphite ring. The ring is attached to the hull by a rubber boot. On the engine side of the boot a half rubber cover covers the steel sleeve. If you lift this cover and the steel sleeve is not tight against the graphite ring you will need to have it reset. The graphite ring has a hole that is about 1/2 inch larger than the shaft, so water will come in at an alarming rate when the machine is sitting in the water. The loval Seadoo dealer told me it takes about three hours to reset the sleave.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back