Showing p1690 code and oil is showing on display

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knighter

https://vimeo.com/183248881

Anybody know any more info on this issue. Reading a 1690 code and oil wasn't low. It's a 2008 sea doo 215 wake edition with 126 hours. It would run fine until a little above idle speed. Around 10mph. Then the alarm would go off and oil would display on the display and code 1690 would pop up also.

1690 is the VTS system malfunction. Ha, like having an alarm for your power antenna almost.
Oil pressure if low, can be a real problem. Sure the oil level isn't too high, too much can cause the oil to become airated and frothed, the air mixed with oil causes low oil pressure.
Unless one of the pressure sensors is "bad", I think the factory may have claimed switch defect and changed the spec?

It would bug me to no end not to have an oil pressure readout on my display panel, I'd gladly trade that for a VTS alarm.

Oil level is good not sure what brand or weight. Not dirty. 126 hours. Just bought the ski about 3 weeks ago.

Took it to a shop and they said everything was fine. No problems. Took it back out today and it did the same thing. Oil error on display and code p1690

Took it to a shop and they said everything was fine. No problems. Took it back out today and it did the same thing. Oil error on display and code p1690

Do these two faults always occur simultaneously? If yes, these two issues might be related due to some wiring commonality. Examining the electrical schematic diagram might reveal a course of action.

P1690 is a fault related to the VTS system as per the fault list (see attached). Depending on if the two faults occur simultaneously, there might be a simple wiring issue common to both.

VTS system failures are often due to water infiltration, not sure if you can repair this yourself, if the VTS actually works fine or fails to work, you didn't elaborate?

One of the two engine oil pressure sensors may be defective, causing the oil fault. There have been service bulletins published for the oil pressure sensors instructing to replace with a new upgraded part, not sure if this applies to your particular model and year but it's possible. In my mind, this is less likely if the two faults occur simultaneously.

If the engine oil level is too high, this might cause a fault so check your owners manual for the correct method of maintaining and checking oil level. I believe if the level is at the top line on the dipstick, it's too much. Level should be about center of the dipstick range while sitting in the same orientation as it would while floating in the water.

Attachments

• delete.jpg
    delete.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 29
What sportster said.
Also the wrong oil can set off the oil pressure sensors. Full synthetic oil is great. It flows easier with high shear strength, but lowers the oil pressure. Old oil will also fail. The synthetic blend has a thicker flow.

Go with the cheap fixes first then run down deeper. Correct oil level.... Correct oil.... Then ...

They occur at the same time. Sunday when I took it out. I dropped it in the water and let it warm up for a couple minutes in neutral tied to the dock then went out in and it ran fine for about 10 minutes. On the way back in I opened it up to full throttle and around 50mph it went to limp mode. The beeps sounded and then it went to a continuous beep until I cut it off. Same thing happened oil was displayed on the screen and the error code p1690. Once I started the ski again it would run fine till about 3k rpm then the alarms would go off. The supercharger was rebuilt by cycle city in Newport News with 116 hours on it. And oil is clean looks good as far as the level goes. Always check before I take it out.

https://youtu.be/IAug4-OSQWk

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil pressure sensors are set at 28 psi. When lower than 28psi the engine will go into limp mode. Old or using the wrong oil will lower the oil psi. Also the sensors could be going bad.

Take it to another shop.

Continuous beep is the overheating indicator. Either engine antifreeze or exhaust temp sensor.

For some reason this problem description of limp rings a bell but I can't put my finger on it. I seem to recall something about the gauge pod, and a lose connection there, perhaps on the main connector.

I've seen where some folks have disconnected the gauge pod electrical connector as a test I believe, and the problem of limp mode went away?

Anyway, this is beginning to sound like a connector somewhere might be corroded or not fully engaged.

The quantity and duration of beeps are coded to help diagnose as well, it's covered in the diagnostic section of the service manual: (notice "DOT", change to character "."

www DOT seadoomanuals DOT net/download/pdf/service/manuals/2005/2005-seadoo-rotax-1503-4-tech-shop-manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Overheat. I had that happen to my RXT after it had been sitting a while. I pulled off the hose to the innercooler and back flushed to the jet pump and removed the other end and flushed the innercooler. Sometime a bug gets in there or the screen in the jet pump area is plugged with stuff. Water then travels to the exhaust manifold. No water cooling the exhaust will set off the overheat light.

Ok good news guys i just got the call back about the oil light and it was the oil sensor. There still looking into the p1690 code.

And apparently the first time I had taken it to the shop the main jet ski guy was on vacation and they had a fill in taking over for him. It all is well hopefully I can take it out a couple more times before it gets too cold.

Just had the same with a 2008 Wake 155 with 110 hrs. Ran fine until recent service, and within 30 mins running after that it started off with just the OIL warning coming up erratically & the engine going into limp mode, then the P-1690 code also came up. That was supposed to be related to VTS up circuit malfunction ... but seems to have been a red herring after checking all of that out.

Rear Oil Pressure sensor replacement sorted it, happy to say! Still had the ooriginal xxx532 p/n sensor in it, that has since been replaced by xxx533.

Thanks for the feedback johannvr, good detail is important so good job paying attention. It seems the replacement oil is slightly different viscosity thus slight change in pressure doesn't keep the original pressure sensor happy. Not a problem, upgrade sensor is the best course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back