Short,,On a 947 engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulS

Hi having problems with a short on a 947 engine keeps draining the battery and giving alarms when I check from the - on the battery to the earth on the engine I get 12v I have checked all the sensors for shorts and disconected the mpem and still get the short any ideas???

Explain further please

I'm trying to interpret what your trying to say and I'm not getting it. You say your system is shorting out. When you say your getting 12vdc from your battery to the ground, are you saying that you are taking a multi reader and putting the positive to the positive and sticking the other lead in the the ground?
And if your disconnecting all the electrical connections, including the mpem, how are you testing the sensors and mpem for the problem?
The mpem (multi purpose electronic module) is very expensive and is protected by overload fuses. Be careful with this unit. It's the brain center for your Doo. It has am automatic shutdown on it that after several seconds (about 30) of being powered up, if you don't try to start it, it will send a signal and shut everything down.
When you have a fully charged battery in it and connect the cables, positive first then the ground, do you get a light, almost static kinda spark. When you connect the battery, do the gages come on? What kind of Doo is this 947 in? Myself and other forum members need to know what year and model this is in. Have you done the advanced DESS system check? When you put the cables on, do you get the correct, two short beeps when attaching the lanyard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi this is is a 04 Sportster that the battery is always draining and not getting fully charged ,
When checking without the DESS pluged in and removing the neg term from the battery when I check from the earth from the engine to the neg on the battery I get 12v showing there is a short ,,,, just cant find out where it could be,, ??

Hi All,
Removed the Mag housing to find the stator shot to bits and filled with water and mud anyone any ideas on how the water could have got in there,

Good question!

Unless your seal was bad around the housing and you had flooded the hull with some degree of water, it would be a mystery to me.....really still is, because I can see the water getting in there, but not the mud. The magneto housing that bolts to the engine block has a seal, that seperates the combustion area from the charging area, but there shouldn't be any way for water to come through from that area.
I don't have access from the manuals at the moment, having problem with my Acrobat reader.
Maybe Don, from Wheels and Waves will be in to read your query and have heard of this before. He's a pretty good mechanic on these things and maybe have an idea. You can also shoot him a PM and he'll be happy to give you his advice through the messaging service.
Come back and let us know what you find out or what Don's advice may be. There could be other forum members facing the same problem at some point....

Hi There ,
Thanks for the reply Im the same as you don't have a clue how the water and mud got in there the seal looks in good the boat only has 15 hrs put up,
The boat I got in NY and shipped over here to Ireland she's a 2004 ,
At this point Im stuck as to put in a new stator just incase she fills up again I realy need to find out where this water and mud came in from,
The rest of the boat is spotless with no signs of taking in water but under the mag housing was a mess with mud and rust I recon the water has been there for years to cause so much damage,,
There is a plastic cover within the mag housing what does that cover is there a chance the water came in from there,?????

Irish?

I thought about your water problem the other day and wondered if one of your bolts that hold the magneto casing on has cracked the water jacket. But that still doesn't give me a clue as to how the mud got in there.
The plastic cap could be from the oil injection pump. Is it still there or has it been removed and you premix?
This is really strange, especially if your gasket and all looked good. If the engine was under water, you'd see tell-tell signs of it from other places as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back