shift problem - seadoo sportster 1800 1999

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

doo314

I took the boat out last last friday night in Virginia Beach. It was dark, We got stuck in the sand, I tried to put in reverse, but the boat did not move. I put the boat in forward and reverse few times. We finally broke loose and we were be able to get back to dock. I noticed the reverse gate stayed up and wouldn't move back neutral or reverse position when move the shift lever. I could move the shift lever and heard the laching sound, but the reverse gate still in forward position. I tried to pull the reverse gate down manually, but it only move down about an inch, I did not pull too hard, afraid of breaking something. Call the Seadoo dealer, but they can't take the boat in for few weeks. I wonder if I broke the shift cable or something else? appreciate any help.

hey...go to gate, and manually lift/release the catch mechanism, and see if gate falls, might disconnect the cable, isnt difficult, just to see if gate will swing down freely...

I lifted the latch, but can only move the gate down by an inch. I think the cable couldn't extend anymore. I couldn't remove the gate because I had to uncrew and remove the rod that attached the shift cable to the gate, there is not enough clearance to pull the rod, this rod can only be removed if the gate is in neutral position. Thanks.

yah,..remove the cable bolted to it, that lifts/lowers gate, so then theres nothing obstucting the gate, so it can move up/down. If it moves freely, then i'd say cable pinched/broke, but cant move gate with cable not attached, then maybe gate assy/where it bolts to, possible bent...

probably bent cable when you hit the sand bar, or when trying to put in reverse while stuck in sand. probably gonna have to have 1 guy pull down gate while other shifts into reverse. then you might get to kink in cable and mebbe get lucky and straighten it. don't need reverse anyway. anything back there you have already seen. forward. move on to other things.

Next time shut off motor and get out and push it off sand bar. Remember its a jet that sucks water in from the bottom. If i see a sand bar and cant avoid it I shut off before I ground it then push it off.

The jet boat unlike an Outboard or I/O usually is caught on the sand bar , where as the others will have the outdrive stuck. If the Jet drive sucks up rocks or other debris than the wear ring or impeller can be damaged. Shut it down, and get off and push it free...or don't be out at night, might slove all your problems. :rofl:

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back