Seadoo XP Mineral and Synthetic

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

92GTX93

What is the final verdict on mixing these two types of oils. I read that it was not a problem mixing Seadoo's XP Mineral with Synthetic as long as they are both Seadoo's XP oils.

I'm asking this because the oil in my tank right now is a dark blueish in color. I just bought a gallon of XP Mineral and and a buddy gave me two gallons of XP Synthetic.

Do Not Mix!

No, do not mix the synthetic to the mineral oil. The dark blueish oil you are running now is probably the older Seadoo synthetic. You can mix the newer version, which is a beer colored oil, to the older version synthetic with no problems. But if your going to convert to mineral, which I recommend you don't, then you do have to clean out the old oil before adding the synthetic. The molecular structure of the two oils are not compatible.
There is a post in the general discussion that has the pro's and con's of the two oils.
I hope this has helped you out a little.

No, do not mix the synthetic to the mineral oil. The dark blueish oil you are running now is probably the older Seadoo synthetic. You can mix the newer version, which is a beer colored oil, to the older version synthetic with no problems. But if your going to convert to mineral, which I recommend you don't, then you do have to clean out the old oil before adding the synthetic. The molecular structure of the two oils are not compatible.
There is a post in the general discussion that has the pro's and con's of the two oils.
I hope this has helped you out a little.
I read in another forum that it is okay to mix both synthetic and mineral as long as they are both xp-s. I also contacted SBT since one of the motors is still under warranty and they said it was okay to mix both as long as they are xp-s. Now I'm confused.

Confusion?

You may never find the answer in the way you are looking for it. Your going to remain confused until you do your own research into the pro's and con's of the mineral oil verses the synthetic oil and make an educated decision for yourself.
I did the research and posted it in this forum. I saw where you went to the thread and read it, so I don't see a reason here to quote my findings. There is a big difference in the molecular structure of these two oils. They both work on providing a thin slippery layer between metal surfaces to minimize friction. Which one is better than the other. Well, if you read the science behind it, then you'd see that the molecular structure of the synthetic oil has been specially formulated to reduce the amount of heat created from friction.
Mineral oil is formulated from petroleum crude oil, processed by distillation. Although the additives of oil on todays market are by far a lot better than they were 50 years ago, to minimize carbon deposits etc..., they are still the end product of a crude oil.
So if you ask if you can mix one oil with the other? The answer you recieve will always be determined by who you ask. Because a lot of people base their answers on personal preference and not science, the best answer I can give you is to base your decision on either your personal preference or decide on what you've found in research.
Remember, your deciding on an issue that can have direct impact on a piece of property that can cost you greatly. Take a chance and mix the oils by others recommendation or be safe and change the oil out completely? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents....DON'T MIX MINARAL AND SYNTHETIC...keep using the oil that has been running in the ski.Trade it, swap it, or sell it ....but don't mix it... I have in the past and paid the price...keep it simple...use what has been used in the motor and don't change. Other wise why would there be any difference in the labeling...
Karl

hmmmmm!

Good point Karl. Didn't think about it like that.
A coke doesn't taste like a pepsi!.......:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back