seadoo starter motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pm minnetonka4me or 99spxxx.

You will have no luck with any aftermarket starter.
For what you are going to spend an a longshot season long starter.
Get the right one for less and it be OEM.

Your from Miami which is even worse. All saltwater for you and me

Pm minnetonka4me or 99spxxx.

You will have no luck with any aftermarket starter.
For what you are going to spend an a longshot season long starter.
Get the right one for less and it be OEM.

Your from Miami which is even worse. All saltwater for you and me

YEP.......ive gotten about 5 from him and he guarantess them..if its bad when u get it you get another

Hey brock, I'm not referring to the tooth count. The bolt holes in a 800 starter have threads. The 720 does not. :cheers:

Based on all the post here I would be shocked if the aftermarket lasts.

However, keep your information available as MANY will want it if it does the job.

Best of luck,,,

Hey brock, I'm not referring to the tooth count. The bolt holes in a 800 starter have threads. The 720 does not. :cheers:

I have used starters from a 580 in a 787 before so I would assume a 657 or a 720 starter will work as well. No it did not have the threads in it, but if you just buy a little longer bolt with a nut it works just as well!

Here's my take and I have posted this before. I wouldn't say the cheap starters are junk per say. You really need to pay attention. The biggest thing I have seen is the studs. On the OEM starter the "nut" end of the stud measures almost .300", the after markets are a full .100" shorter, almost 1/8"!!!!!! So when you put the rear bracket on it will hit on the 4 angles running out from the center of the end cap and will cock on the back of the starter. Then you don't realize it when you tighten it up cause you "assume" it's just like the OEM starter. Then the rear bracket hole won't line up so you loosen the front mounting bolts to help you align the rear bracket cause your so pissed off working on the starter. So you tighten the rear bracket then draw the front back in, and it's probably cocked so the bendix isn't parallel to the flywheel. So you get a hundred or so starts off it and the shaft snaps and we blame it on the starter, rather than the install itself.

These are just my observations, not sure if it is 100% the case but if you do a bad job on the install, you not going to get the life from the starter. I'm NOT DEFENDING the import starters, I just think they are improperly installed.

Also the 720 Starter is not clocked correctly, your hot lead is going to be on the way bottom of the starter, so either remove the long studs and clock the FRONT NOSE in the correct location or just deal with the stud on the bottom. If you choose to leave the stud on the bottom, hook the cable up first. And obviously the nose is not tapped so you get to wrestle with nuts and lock washers.

Here are some pics. The white is a restored OEM starter, the black is the import.

458.jpg

459.jpg

459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hijack, my 787 never had a rear bracket on the starter when i brought it ,plus bolts were loose and it had been messed with, so i purchased a secondhand bracket ,rebuilt the starter, but now no matter which why around i put on the rear bracket the bolt hole wont align with anything ,no where near . So am i missing something else or didnt all 787's have this bracket?
thanks.

Yes they are junk Ive bought 2, both wouldnt really work, I rebuilt the orignals and stole the bendix off the New Cheap Starters

Sorry to hijack, my 787 never had a rear bracket on the starter when i brought it ,plus bolts were loose and it had been messed with, so i purchased a secondhand bracket ,rebuilt the starter, but now no matter which why around i put on the rear bracket the bolt hole wont align with anything ,no where near . So am i missing something else or didnt all 787's have this bracket?
thanks.

I have the same problem. I bought a new aqua torque starter for my 787 which didn't have the rear bracket, so I took off the bracket off my old starter and the studs don't align with the bracket when the starter is installed. I just left the bracket out but from what I'm seeing on this thread, that might be a bad idea.

I'm all about saving money.... and was burned with a ebay aftermarket last summer..... seemed like I blamed everything else for the ski not starting BUT the aftermarket starter. I removed it and put a oem seadoo and ski starts perfect. 2 months in nj and its totally rusted up, bolts even snapped and I keep my ski clean and sprayed down with crc. Saltwater will kill em quicker. Buy the best and cry once.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back