Seadoo SpEEDSTER 150 255 HP TAKES LONG TO GET ANY POWER .HELP PLS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rochey

Hey just recently bought this 255 hp speedster. When I put it in the water it runs like shit for a while. I have to go up and down the pond for 15 mins or more for the super charger to start kicking in . Once the boat starts working right she's fine for the rest of the day I don't understand it . Last time I had her out she wouldn't even idle kept shutting off. But once again when I got her going and drove it for 15 or 20 mins she came to life . Got me stumped. Anyone else have this problem ?

I've never had that issue, but I also don't have the same boat. But the Rotax Superchargers don't really "Kick in" like a turbocharger. They're positive displacement and always producing boost, even at idle. Are your RPMs going all the way up? Have you checked your spark plugs?

I've never had that issue, but I also don't have the same boat. But the Rotax Superchargers don't really "Kick in" like a turbocharger. They're positive displacement and always producing boost, even at idle. Are your RPMs going all the way up? Have you checked your spark plugs?
Yup just checked them one was gunked up hope that's the issue

Did you replace them? 4Tecs are very picky about plugs and they should be changed annually regardless of hours.

He is very right. I had mine replaced before getting repairs done (took 11 months) and after getting it back with 8hrs, spark plugs were bad and engine ran like a lawn mower

He is very right. I had mine replaced before getting repairs done (took 11 months) and after getting it back with 8hrs, spark plugs were bad and engine ran like a lawn mower
Yeah is it weird that after a while she works fine tho just runs like shit for first 20 mins

Plugs are cheap. Swap them out and let us know what else is going on. Has the supercharger ever been serviced? How old is the battery? What type of fuel are you running? You said she has very low hours on her, you may have some old, stale fuel.

Yeah is it weird that after a while she works fine tho just runs like shit for first 20 mins

I can't comment too much on behavior. From my understanding, I can kinda see it running "alright". The temp from the combustion may burn off whatever is on the plug enough to get a good spark and, at the engine's high RPM, the moment of the crank shaft could possible be enough to keep the piston going with a weak spark. And being an inline engine, you really wouldn't notice changes in vibration at high RPMs.

But as @JPass said, replace the spark plugs annually. I do that and they're really cheap. Got some cold tip iridium sparks, same size as the recommended one, hoping they'd be nicer than stock for like $2 more. I think i spent less than $20 for 8 spark plugs, which I then kept the extra 2 as spares. I can't really comment on how those spark plugs did since I had brought the boat in to get looked at and wanted them just to lubricate the jet pump assembly and boat, since I did the oil change and plugs already, but they didn't listen to me and replaced my brand new plugs with 3hrs on them with the stock ones. But for those 3 hours, ran great as far as I can tell!!

For annual service, definitely do a full oil change, oil filter, spark plugs, and if near 200hrs, pull the supercharger out to get rebuilt with the updated washer. Since you have the 255hp engine, also do the air filter. the 210 challenger, with twin 215hp engines don't have air filters for reasons I don't know, but the rest should be the same in regards to service. Lubricate the seals, jet pump assembly, and boot, as well. I honestly don't know how to do that or where to get the grease. I'm fine working on part of the engines, but I am not personally comfortable pulling the jet pump assembly out so I plan on letting the dealer do that. Supercharger, its a pain to pull out, for me at least for my first time. I had some guidance on that but overall wasn't too bad. Getting the tools for those special inverted Torx bolts, but Amazon does have it. Since you have a signal engine, don't imagine it being bad and don't have to deal with tight spaces of twin engines, but I know accessing the engine in a speedster 200 is PAINFUL but hopefully its manageable in your 150.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully that may help you on a few things. If you pull your boat out, I definitely like to check under the boat and check the visible parts of the impellers and wear rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back