Seadoo RXT General questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spimothy Leary

I've been in the market for a 4 stroke for awhile now.

I want a long distance cruiser that handle's chop well. I had an RXP as my primary choice, then GTX, but I never consdiered the RXT before this past weekends ride in 4 hours of heavy chop. I got my ass beat up on my gp1300. My buddy on a RXP handled it MUCH better, but he was still getting tossed around pretty good. so I got to thinking.... RXT

What are the downsides to the RXT? I know its a horse...
I don't care if its not as nimble or crazy fast, this will be a 2nd ski. Will be used for long river runs, and offshore riding in Gulf of Mexico so it must carve well, we generally ride pretty hard and fast, it also must handle chop well for offshore, I thought maybe the additional length (Vs RXP) is a plus there... . Additional storage is a nice bonus as well for packing gear and possibly fuel.

most likely it will be 2006 or older.

I'm aware of the washer issue/superchargers, but I read a post in a dead thread and wanted clarification as to maybe the complexity/cost of items #2,3 below, assuming they haven't been addressed by the PO.

1. Ceramic washers in the supercharger clutch; they grenade and spit little pieces of ceramic into the oil pump. They must be changed ASAP.
2. Weak flywheel bolts (fixed in 2006)
3. Poor exhaust valve design. Had hollow shafts, and rust (mainly from sitting, hint, hint) on shafts cause the heads to pop off and destroy the engine. (fixed in very late 2006)

I would mainly be worried about #3 above. I would not own a 2004-2006 215 4-TEC without fixing those 3 items above.

any other known concern's or issue ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The washers are what they are. Bottom line is, if you buy an 08 or older they MUST be serviced no mater how many hours if they are ceramic or you can't PRIVE they have been serviced. 09 up has a better shaft design as well. So, if you get an 08 or older update to the updated shaft when you do the washers. And,,, there is now a kit that goes for 200 hours as well.

The ski is a bit wetter than the GTX for example due to the hull design. It throws a bit of water ahead of you but the ski is so fast you catch up to the splashed water.

The hull takes chop and waves well. I absolutely LOVE rough water and larger waves on my RXT-X

If it were me, I'd got for an 09 and newer to eliminate the issues you have listed.

I have no desire to buy a ski knowing I either need to service or be scared of Chaucer valves and weaker flywheel bolts.

Unless you can steal the ski it isn't worth it to me as you will spend another grand on updating things at a minimum.

thanks...
the problem is, I won't spend the money on an 09 or newer, just not going to happen, this is a fun weekend hobby, I have a kid enrolled in a Major University, so dropping 8K-9K on a ski, well, again, just not going to happen, not this year, not next year... I'll go without a spare ski first.

But there are some 05's out there that are half that cost, so IMO its budget-able.

I guess I need to look into the cost/effort involved with the updated shaft, flywheel bolts (that was a new one)

It also appears that the RXT is still very much a fuel hog, (no better than my very thirsty GP1300) I read only about 80 miles on the big tank, ugh, not impressing me either since that only extends my effective range from 60-80, but I could sneak spare gas in the big storage bin to get me up to 100 miles, which would work well enough, 90 was my goal.

The Yami FXHO was my first choice ( the 140 is too slow), Honda F12X my 2nd (but the turbo costs scare me) and the RXP 3rd. I guess the RXT might move into the 3rd spot ahead of the RXP.

Looks like i'm circling back to choice #1, no big issues with the older Yami's, excellent range, handles chop, priced in the 6K range, but occasionally they sneak down to 5K or lower.

As far as fuel goes, when you get into the throttle it can use fuel for sure.

Ride it without the throttle slammed all the time and it does pretty well actually.

I understand about the money concerns. It isn't a cheap hobby to begin with. Add in life costs and suddenly cash can be hard to come by.

If possible buy a ski that has at a minimum had the washers done. You would get a few years in b4 you'd be in a position that you would have to do a rebuild.

Flywheel bolts aren't a HUGE issue. Not all the older skis have the problem.

You could gamble a bit on those. If they fail you have to pull the engine anyways and it would have some additional damage but not too much more expense than replacing them just because.

...dropping 8K-9K on a ski, well, again, just not going to happen, not this year, not next year... I'll go without a spare ski first.

But there are some 05's out there that are half that cost, so IMO its budget-able.

I guess I need to look into the cost/effort involved with the updated shaft, flywheel bolts (that was a new one)

It also appears that the RXT is still very much a fuel hog, (no better than my very thirsty GP1300) I read only about 80 miles on the big tank, ugh, not impressing me either since that only extends my effective range from 60-80, but I could sneak spare gas in the big storage bin to get me up to 100 miles, which would work well enough, 90 was my goal.

The Yami FXHO was my first choice ( the 140 is too slow), Honda F12X my 2nd (but the turbo costs scare me) and the RXP 3rd. I guess the RXT might move into the 3rd spot ahead of the RXP.

Looks like i'm circling back to choice #1, no big issues with the older Yami's, excellent range, handles chop, priced in the 6K range, but occasionally they sneak down to 5K or lower.

Who's rxt are you comparing to a GP1300 for fuel consumption? I've never heard of a single 2stroke close in engine displacement to a 4stroke getting similar mpg....ever.

Older Yammi's (4strokes?)handle chop...compared to what?...no issues with them at all...unless you don't consider lack of power an issue. And it's not that they had no power...not really...they just aren't fast...or even close to fast.

Personally...never heard a bad word about Honda's turbos....decent ride...not "fast".....best mpg bar none.

My lightly modded RXT when cruising, uses less fuel than a stock RXT...and almost half the fuel guzzled by a stock Ultra250.

I'd have no qualms buying a well maintained low hr '05-'07 rxt for <5K and dropping 2K in goodies into it....but that's just me.

quick edit....

Years ago...maybe...'07. Skis were basically stock. I had done some very minor air intake and handling mods to one of them. We took the ICW from Harker's Island to Washington NC. Figure 100-110 miles. At about the "half way" mark just a smidge past half a tank we refueled. Keep in mind...with a full tank...we almost didn't make the last 50-60 miles. Why...when we only used half a tank for the first 50 miles or so?

We encountered 15-25 mph head winds...2'-3' seas for the last 25-30 miles...rounding the Pamilico river from the Sound

Point being...mileage will vary with the driver's style, ski's mechanical condition and environmental conditions.

Not trying to be a dck...just sayn

not comparing gp vs rxt in a personal experience, just what I read. I don't care about current's, conditions, headwinds, etc affecting a particular day's fuel efficiency... just talking apples to apples comparison in general.

On My GP I get 60 miles out of a 13 gallon tank (real world)
but a rxt only gets 80 out of a 16 gallon tank ? then I consider that "not much better"
if its closer to 100 miles, then i'd be very pleased.

I pulled this chart off another website, so not sure how accurate it is.... (pre 2007 models)

Honda F12X GPSCape
3.1gph @ 35mph = 11.29mpg / 12.2gph @ 60mph = 4.92mpg

Kawi STX-15F
3.7gph @ 35mph = 9.46mpg / 10.5gph @ 63mph = 6.00mpg

Yamaha FX HO
4.5gph @ 35mph = 7.78mpg / 10.8gph @ 60mph = 5.55mpg

Sea Doo RXP
6.4 @ 35mph = 5.47mpg / 15.9gph @ 67mph = 4.21mpg

I can't confirm accuracy of those figures but the RXP numbers are pretty similar to what I get on my GP, slightly better but only slightly, and I'd assume that the RXT might be even worse since its larger.

I don't care if yami's 4 stroke strokers aren't as fast, i'm cool with that.

as far as Yami FXHO handling chop, honestly i've never ever read that the fxho handles chop poorly, i've already read that they handle it fantastic, and stack up well ?

not comparing gp vs rxt in a personal experience, just what I read. I don't care about current's, conditions, headwinds, etc affecting a particular day's fuel efficiency... just talking apples to apples comparison in general.

On My GP I get 60 miles out of a 13 gallon tank (real world)
but a rxt only gets 80 out of a 16 gallon tank ? then I consider that "not much better"
if its closer to 100 miles, then i'd be very pleased.

I pulled this chart off another website, so not sure how accurate it is.... (pre 2007 models)

Honda F12X GPSCape
3.1gph @ 35mph = 11.29mpg / 12.2gph @ 60mph = 4.92mpg

Kawi STX-15F
3.7gph @ 35mph = 9.46mpg / 10.5gph @ 63mph = 6.00mpg

Yamaha FX HO
4.5gph @ 35mph = 7.78mpg / 10.8gph @ 60mph = 5.55mpg

Sea Doo RXP
6.4 @ 35mph = 5.47mpg / 15.9gph @ 67mph = 4.21mpg

I can't confirm accuracy of those figures but the RXP numbers are pretty similar to what I get on my GP, slightly better but only slightly, and I'd assume that the RXT might be even worse since its larger.

I don't care if yami's 4 stroke strokers aren't as fast, i'm cool with that.

as far as Yami FXHO handling chop, honestly i've never ever read that the fxho handles chop poorly, i've already read that they handle it fantastic, and stack up well ?

I've not heard "bad" things re FXHO's rough water ride. In fact I know a guy in Fla with a pair of '06 RXT's and pair of yammis. Lemme look around and see if I can find his critique.

As for the mpg comparisons you posted...

35 mph for an rxt..and I'm assuming an rxp as well is about 5k rpm. Right at the low end of making boost. That is the sweet spot for the 215...I normally sit at 6K or around 50mph and have no probs cruising all day at that speed. To do 67 mph the 215 is turnin around 8K...and suckin down fuel. And while you can cruise wot in 1'+ chop w/o killin yourself...you will feel it the next day.

edit...

The guy I was thinkin of has a pair of '06 rxt's and a pair of FZS's...sorry bout that...both supercharged.

He does love his yammi's though....200+ hrs an no probs....none.

My search continues, but I've learned a coupe of things.

If I ended up with an older RXP, i'll basically still own two ski's that suck in the chop, but the RXP will have more range and will be quieter than my extremely noisy GP. If the RXP is modded up a bit the range should actually be improved somewhat since at normal cruising speeds (40-50 on smooth water) it won't have to work that hard. However it still appears that the effective fuel economy won't be significantly better, but I should be able to run an extra 20-30 miles on a full tank but that's about it.

If I find a RXT, i'll have better experience in the chop, tons of extra storage, (ability to store fuel/bodies in the bin) but reaching a 100+ mile goal w/o bringing along fuel in a seadoo seems nearly impossible unless I find a model with the 155 motor, (maybe a GTX?) and then i'll sacrifice quite a bit of speed in exchange for an added approx 2mpg in fuel economy.

I guess I need to either compromise speed, or lower my requirement for fuel range from 100+ to 80+.

...I guess I need to either compromise speed, or lower my requirement for fuel range from 100+ to 80+.

.....bingo

...edited...

One thought for you to check out. Long distance cruisers...around Alaska/Great Lakes ect...1000 mile trippers? I know for a fact a coupla "07 RXT's have made such runs...you should search for the article. I'd bet a dollar to a dozen doughnuts that mileage/storage/speed were covered in the info.

check this out...

http://wetdograce.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back