Seadoo Rxdi Fuel Pressure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utter92

Hi!

I have some issue with fuel delivery to my rxdi 2003. I have read all threads I could find and tested the fuel pressure which passed the test in the manual (27psi when lanyard attached and 107psi when starting it up , also when revving) when not in water. Cylinder compression is 140psi in front and 150psi in rear.

But when in water it wont rev over 3500-4000rpm and you have to increase the throttle slowly.

So I tried the fuel pressure in water and it clearly looses pressure down to like 88psi when I push the throttle.

Trying to pick up som speed:

Giving it fast full throttle several times:

Spark plugs look like this:
20190908_132524.jpg

Is it the fuel pump even though it passed the test in the manual? Is the pressure drop enough to make such a difference? Or could it be the air compressor?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I have some issue with fuel delivery to my rxdi 2003. I have read all threads I could find and tested the fuel pressure which passed the test in the manual (27psi when lanyard attached and 107psi when starting it up , also when revving) when not in water. Cylinder compression is 140psi in front and 150psi in rear.

But when in water it wont rev over 3500-4000rpm and you have to increase the throttle slowly.

So I tried the fuel pressure in water and it clearly looses pressure down to like 88psi when I push the throttle.

Trying to pick up som speed:

Giving it fast full throttle several times:

Spark plugs look like this:
View attachment 44103

Is it the fuel pump even though it passed the test in the manual? Is the pressure drop enough to make such a difference? Or could it be the air compressor?

Thanks in advance!

Just throwing some things out there. I doubt it’s the air compressor because you’re getting your 80 psi difference. Have you changed your two filters on the pump and your in-line filter? If not maybe you’re getting the pressure required but not the flow. Also there might be some concern with the 10 psi difference in compression. Maybe a fuel injector is blocked and running lean and causing the compression and running issue? But if you did not change them already- I would definitely start with the three filters that I mentioned.

Just throwing some things out there. I doubt it’s the air compressor because you’re getting your 80 psi difference. Have you changed your two filters on the pump and your in-line filter? If not maybe you’re getting the pressure required but not the flow. Also there might be some concern with the 10 psi difference in compression. Maybe a fuel injector is blocked and running lean and causing the compression and running issue? But if you did not change them already- I would definitely start with the three filters that I mentioned.

Thank you Jimmy!

Yes all (three) fuel filters are new. I also found a hose that is not designed for high pressure between the inline filter and the fuelpump which i changed. But it did not make any difference.

When you had your pump out to change the filters did you clean the pump as in letting the pump run in a 50-50 mixture of gas /toluene for an hour or so?

When you had your pump out to change the filters did you clean the pump as in letting the pump run in a 50-50 mixture of gas /toluene for an hour or so?
No, i did not. Maybe that could help. However i ordered a new Walbro GSS432. I will get back with the results.

Last edited:
So... I just tested the new pump and fited it just like Doowakas guide. For 5 minutes the ski run great in the water! But then it started to display "MAINT" and red flash whenever i released the throttle. And after another minute the ski just died and would not start at all... it had burned the fuel pump fuse. Do you have to change to a higher amp fuse when using the Walbro GSS342? The 15 amp may be to low with a pump that use around 14 amps at 107psi?

You are most probably drawing too much amps with that pump and the charging system can’t keep up.

Last edited:
I have read that the HPF-500DI was the most efficient pump to work with these skis. Holds pressure and uses about the same amperage as the oem pump. May consider buying it for myself now that I have fuel pressure problems

I have read that the HPF-500DI was the most efficient pump to work with these skis. Holds pressure and uses about the same amperage as the oem pump. May consider buying it for myself now that I have fuel pressure problems

If you get one let us know how it works out. At some point someone is going to find the right combination for these DI skis as more and more of these 15-20 year old ski pumps fail.

I just hooked the ski up with a voltage meter and the battery had 12.2V before I put in the key. When running it went down to 11,6V and stayed there with beeps and "MAINT" on the display. And after some minutes the fuse blew up again... So I need a new pump... In Sweden they sell this pump as replacement. I dont find any info about it, anyone know if its ok? Price is like 160$.
Screenshot_20190911-195122.png

If you get one let us know how it works out. At some point someone is going to find the right combination for these DI skis as more and more of these 15-20 year old ski pumps fail.
I def will, and I agree with your theory on the 15-20 yr old pumps. If I buy one that used its prob gonna go out sooner than later. Of course I could buy a new OEM one but I feel like taking a chance here...

I def will, and I agree with your theory on the 15-20 yr old pumps. If I buy one that used its prob gonna go out sooner than later. Of course I could buy a new OEM one but I feel like taking a chance here...

Think about this. I have a shelf full of aftermarket fuel pumps that didn’t work. When I replaced a bad fuel pump I never bought a new one. I buy used off eBay and go through them. Out of the 4 DI skis that I own I replaced two pumps bought off eBay and I reworked them back to OEM. That was 5 years ago and they still work good. I pull the pumps on all my skis every other year and replace the filters. So far so good. Food for thought. Maybe you will find the right aftermarket pump. DooWacka had good luck after several failed attempts.

At some point these aftermarket pump companies will hopefully make a deal with Bosch to start manufacturing pumps again.

HFP-342DI with blue top!

I bought that exact same fuel pump and it lasted less than two hours. That was a little over two years ago and it still sits on the shelf. I think they have a lifetime warranty and if I did get a new one replaced free of charge it would be as a last resort to use it. I hope yours lasts longer than mine did. If it doesn’t I would definitely clean the OEM pump by letting it “self clean” by letting the pump run in a 50-50 mixture of gas/ toluene for an hour or so. You have nothing to lose and a decent chance that it might work.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Will look into it.

I installed the new pump with a bit of retro fit, just with the wires, and so far it seems to be working just fine. I have been reading the voltage on my candoo and so far so good. I may get the ski in the water tomorrow and provide an update to that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back