Seadoo RX 951 Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOON

Hi guys,

So looks like im up for a top end on my ski at 159 hours. Was running mint just getting a little hard to start when she let go in the water. Have pulled the head to discover piston chipped around rings.

Having read a few other 951 rebuild threads regarding bottom end, I'm a bit unsure if that will need a rebuild now as well.

Have attached some photos of the damage and good/bad cylinder. Some insight on where to go from here from the 2 stroke gurus would be greatly appreciated.

- Mark

Attachments

• IMG_8332.JPG
    IMG_8332.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8335.JPG
    IMG_8335.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8340.JPG
    IMG_8340.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8341.JPG
    IMG_8341.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8342.JPG
    IMG_8342.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8350.JPG
    IMG_8350.JPG
    919.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8352.JPG
    IMG_8352.JPG
    938.7 KB · Views: 29
Those piston crowns are really dry so you were running lean. Typically from dirty carbs and/or fuel system.

At 159 hours you are going to have to do the crank and balancer, no question especially since you ran lean and the crank bearings will be tired.

200 hours is the rule of thumb on a 951 crank so yours will not survive the added stress of a new top end.

What let go?? Doesn't look "really bad" unless I"m missing something. Here is one of mine. :) 98 GTX 951 Piston (3).JPG98 GTX 951 Piston (5).JPG98 GTX 951 Piston (6).JPG

Last edited:
You're right top end isnt too bad considering.. Could of done a lot more damage. I stopped riding as soon as I felt it wasn't right so that might have lessened the top end damage.

Just in two minds on what to do with bottom end as fully rebuilt 951 exchange motors in Australia are 2k+

I have had repair shops tell me for years the 951 engines need rebuilding at 200 hours period. My last 951 had 400 hours on the bottom end, with no issues. The one I have now, the owner ran the piss out of it. FULL throttle almost all of the time. He put 4-stroke oil, mineral oil and other types of oil in the engine and, at 220 hours, one crank bearing failed. The rest of the crank bearings are still in spec, pistons too. My suggestion would be check the crank play. if it is still good, run with it. just my two cents. PS make sure you check the balance shaft oil. all your $ and work could go down the drain if it is low.

I have had repair shops tell me for years the 951 engines need rebuilding at 200 hours period. My last 951 had 400 hours on the bottom end, with no issues. The one I have now, the owner ran the piss out of it. FULL throttle almost all of the time. He put 4-stroke oil, mineral oil and other types of oil in the engine and, at 220 hours, one crank bearing failed. The rest of the crank bearings are still in spec, pistons too. My suggestion would be check the crank play. if it is still good, run with it. just my two cents. PS make sure you check the balance shaft oil. all your $ and work could go down the drain if it is low.

Amen to that !! on the repair shops. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back