Seadoo pump/hull stuffing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been thrown off of a seadoo from pump stuffing? Pump stuffing is when the pump cant process the amount of water being sent to it. Its very violent. Lots of people have been hurt pretty bad. Luckily i only lost my sunglasses and ripped my shorts. The jetski instantly nose dives and turns all the way in one direction. If you can hold on it might be less painful.

What im curious about is people using pressure relief valves to bring the pressure down in the pump inlet tract to prevent the stuffing. Im thinking about doing this to several of my skis to prevent any injuries

I've only heard of this happening on skis going over 80mph. You're on the 2stroke forum... is there something we should know about? :)

Ive heard same thing about over 80mph but last summer it happened to me on my brothers 99 gsx limited. Completely stock 951 with a concord 15/20 and no intake grate as it broke off previous weekend. The plastic pump shoe is broken where intake grate mounts. So i blame it on that. Not really wanting to experiece stuffing again so will an x4 pump stuff if 70 and under peak mph?

I have 2 x4’s im worried about. One with a 951 with 155mm pump and other with a ve 920 and a skat trak magnum d pump

I would think that both of those pumps can flow more than the intake tunnel can supply. I would install a top-loader grate if you're still worried. I still don't understand how this can be possible at the speeds those vessels are capable of.

Like i said it was on a gsx limited which does what about 60? I just dont want it to happen again on any of my skis given that i got lucky with no injuries when it happened to me. The top speed playback said 62 on cluster but in reality was what 55-58mph ish. Its kind of like many motorcycle riders that have accidents, then wont get on a motorcycle again.

I guess I still don’t understand the problem. I have been riding these things since 1991 and have never experienced anything close to what you are describing. If the ski gets up to 60 then it can obviously process the water as it got up to that speed. If you let off the throttle it gradually looses speed. The only time I went over the bars was hitting a big wake unexpectedly and the nose went under the water stopping the ski but this had nothing to do with the pump or ski.

Maybe I just don’t understand what you are experiencing.

Could this have occurred as your intake grate was breaking off? Perhaps that broken pump-shoe has something to do with it. In any case, this issue is completely unheard of on skis going stock speeds. I know people that ride with no intake grate, and I myself have gone through several tanks on my 787 SPX with no grate and have never experienced anything like this. Post some pics of the bottom of your ski, maybe around that broken pump shoe. I'm pretty curious what's going on here.

Im hoping it was because of the broken shoe. Glad to hear unheard of on x4’s. But still a little leary of the higher speeds. Its a mind thing ya know. I dont wanna do it again or see anyone get tossed like that. Evidently there was a lawsuit a long time ago where someone on a 99 gsxl experienced it and guy got slammed into a boat and died. If you search youtube for it, it comes up with a couple hits. But yes it is on the newer faster skis.

I think stuffing is more notorious to happen when your at wot for a little while then barely release throttle for a split second then back to wot. Seems like pump is loaded then unloaded then when you go wot again its loaded up with so much water the inlet tract becomes over pressurized with water that it actually pushes water the opposite direction. When it happened to me, i remember possibly playing with the throttle near top speed then i remember water coming over the handlebars from the nose diving into the water. Then the most violent turn and doing my very special gymnastics routine across the water. I have ridden/driven a lot of fast machines other than jetskis, but never been on quite a ride like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back