Seadoo Jetski Model - 3L oil change

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PGVR

I attempted to service my 2018 GTI 90 ski this weekend with 50 hours on the clock (oil, oil filter and spark plugs). I have religiously after every ride checked my coolant and oil levels. Always been fine.

Now here comes the extremely confusing part; I pumped out exactly 3L of oil from the engine. I am the second owner of the ski, bought it when it had 20 hours on the clock. I did not fill her up with oil yet as I only bought 2L of oil. My plan is to fill her up with the 2L and check the level on the dipstick.

The manual says a GTI 90 has 2L of oil.

How can I confirm what model ski/engine I have?

You can call a dealer with the HIN number.

The GTI 90 and 130 are identical except for the engines. The 90 oil change quantity is 2l the 130 is 3l.

I definitely have the top photo engine (90 hp).

I have been riding the ski for 25+ hours and the dipstick level has always been midway between min and max.

Unless the 1.5L bottles are not 1.5L bottles, I definitely pumped 3L+ out of the engine.

Next step will be for me to fill the engine again with new oil and measure how much oil I add to ensure midway between min and max on dipstick (weekend job).

Will post photos this weekend.

Just as a thought, if the engine had a whole 33%+ extra oil in it surely its ass would have fallen out when I rode it?

One of my trips was a 4hour return trip to an island off the coast for a weekend fishing trip.

Well, since BRP doesn't make a 1.5L bottle, they only make a 1 quart bottle which is slightly less than 1L, then you added the correct amount of oil.

Well, since BRP doesn't make a 1.5L bottle, they only make a 1 quart bottle which is slightly less than 1L, then you added the correct amount of oil.
Yes, I know they do not make a 1.5L bottle. I pumped the oil into empty 1.5L coke bottles.

Ok, I took it to a dealer and they confirmed it is a GTI90 engine. When I told them about me pumping out 3L of oil during an oil change they thought is was not possible and that the engine would have shat itself, especially after the long trip I made with it.
  • I am 110% sure that the oil level on the dipstick was halfway between Max and Min BEFORE pumping out the oil
  • I am 110% certain I pumped out 3L of oil
One of life's mysteries. I am taking her out today on a fishing trip and will see if I notice any difference in engine sound, performance etc.

Right, so I was about to go fishing this morning and as usual I do a quick coolant and oil level check.

See photo of dipstick level after standing for almost a week after an oil and filter change.

To be clear:
  • I pumped out 3L of oil (GTI90 engine)
  • Replaced the oil filter and o-ring
  • Refilled the engine with 2 bottles of 946ml + 100ml (2 quarts + 100ml) of oil
  • Let it stand for almost a week
  • Checked oil and dipstick shows it is below MIN.
Questions:
  1. Do I leave the oil level as is?
  2. Do I top up the oil to at least MIN level?
  3. Do I top up the oil to midway between MIN and MAX?
PS: Could the 'R' explain something? I have raised this GTI-R issue in a previous thread. Apparently a GTI-R does not exist!
I am based in New Zealand.

Attachments

• 20220604_123543.jpg
    20220604_123543.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220604_123619.jpg
    20220604_123619.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220604_123632.jpg
    20220604_123632.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220604_123726.jpg
    20220604_123726.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210711_163712 (1).jpg
    20210711_163712 (1).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Engine needs to be at operating temp when you check the oil quantity. Liquids expand with heat. Read your operators manual. The Seadoo oil quantity check could be a 2 credit college course.

Engine needs to be at operating temp when you check the oil quantity. Liquids expand with heat. Read your operators manual. The Seadoo oil quantity check could be a 2 credit college course.
I disagree, reading should be a 3 credit college course!
1654381528719.png

The oil level changes very slightly after the engine has been taken for a ride and left for 30-60 seconds.

Last edited:
Right, so this afternoon I did a little test to satisfy my curiosity.

I checked the level of the oil on the dipstick in a cold engine, it was 10mm below MIN level (after refilling with 2L of oil after service as per above thread).
Ran the engine on hose for 60sec, shut it down and let it stand for 30sec. I measured the oil at 10-11mm below MIN.

Before the oil change every time I have come back from a fishing trip and I have loaded the ski onto the trailer (5 job) I have measured the oil halfway between MIN and MAX.

How much 'expansion' does one really expect after running the motor for 60sec? Will it expand by a whole 1L (as per above I pumped out 3L of oil during an oil change).

It does not make any sense to me at all. I will be taking the ski to a dealer to check it for me. There is no way that the oil will expand by at least 1L capacity in order to get the correct oil level on the dipstick.

You can add this little bit of info to your stockpile, when BRP uses the Rotax 900 Ace in a snowmobile the oil change quantity is 3.3l . There was also a turbo version available in 2018 which also takes more oil. Maybe that’s why they stuck the R on the side.

You can add this little bit of info to your stockpile, when BRP uses the Rotax 900 Ace in a snowmobile the oil change quantity is 3.3l . There was also a turbo version available in 2018 which also takes more oil. Maybe that’s why they stuck the R on the side.
I am pretty sure I have a jet ski and not a snowmobile :)

I can I tell if my engine has a turbo on it? What do I need to check for and where?

Right, I took my ski to the local dealer this morning.

They were not that confused when I explained EXACTLY what I had done when I changed the oil in my GTI90 ski.

The reason why I pumped out 3.3L of oil is because I would crank the engine 2 or 3 times after I was no longer pumping any oil. Each time I cranked the engine I would be able to pump 'some more' oil until there was none left to pump (3.3L).

The reason for this is because the 4 stroke ROTAX engine uses a dry sump (for obvious reasons). Therefore, when one pumps out the oil without cranking the engine you will ONLY get about 2L of oil.

I was told to refill the engine with oil until just above MIN and run the engine for 60sec and measure the oil again, Repeat until midway between MIN and MAX.

Last edited:
FYI, the cranking of the motor in drown mode 3 to 4 times to extract more oil up to it’s normal oil change quantity is part of the normal oil change procedure per the service manual for SeaDoos.

I agree with Skiasylum. People that only suction out the standing oil will get most, but not all, the old oil out. 1 or 2 'drown mode' engine revolutions will get more, etc... But, just to be confident if your old oil taken out is collected in Coke bottles, etc... would be to use the exact same amount of new oil to put back into the engine. Your Before and After measurements would be the same. More thorough oil changers will replace more oil than those that don't do the 'drown mode' cranking extraction procedures; but folks can put in TOO much oil if the lazy owner (minimum oil taken out) has a friend or information source that quotes the FULL proper oil change quantity and pours it ALL in without checking and BINGO.....over Full.

It is really common that guys are not using the proper procedure to check the oil , read the manual.
Most engines are : at operating temperature , wait 10 minutes , then start it for 30 seconds , then wait 30 seconds , then check the level. If you add oil then you must repeat the cycle , it doesn't matter which engine you have or the capacity this procedure is critical due to the low sump area of the oil pan in Seadoo engines. Also when you suck out the oil , after you get air , your are supposed to hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine for 10 seconds this will purge the remaining oil and then suck that out also.

I have always checked my engine oil the proper way, as per the manual.

I think you are all missing the point of this thread.
  1. Is it possible to extract 3L of oil from a GTI90 engine, regardless of how many times you crank the engine?
I have used the following oil check methods with very little difference between them:
  • Run engine on hose for 60sec, wait 30sec
  • Run engine on hose for 60sec, wait 10sec
  • Run engine in water for <20min, wait 30sec
  • Run engine in water for <20min, wait 300sec

The following is NOT meant to be condescending. Sorry if it sounds that way. Just asking from experience (kids).
Did you verify that the machine is level when you are checking, since it sounds like you were checking on the trailer while running with a hose?

Right, I think I should make a video of the entire process to make it crystal clear what the issue is:

STARTING POINT = Freshly serviced 2018 GTI90 ski with 2L of oil
  1. Show ski with engine being level
  2. Run ski on hose for 60sec
  3. Remove hose, switch off engine and leave for 30sec
  4. Measure oil level (RECORD LEVEL)
  5. Pump out all oil in engine using the multiple cranking method to get all oil out of engine
  6. Pump oil from filter compartment
  7. Measure oil removed from engine ,should be +-2L (RECORD TOTAL OIL REMOVED)
I will post the video over the weekend and then wait for the next steps from the seadoo community.

I have not had time to do the oil change video yet, weather has been stink or I have had other jobs to do.

I spoke to a Seadoo agent in Auckland and he informed me of the Rotrax 900 ACE HO engine (80HP version instead of the normal 66HP version).

This could perhaps explain the extra 1L of oil my engine needs as well as the 'R' at the end of my skis 'GTI' decal.

Views?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back