Seadoo Hydro-Turf

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
yeah hopefully it all comes together nicely. About the handlebar cover, I tried everything, bleach, lighter fluid, and a bunch of other cleaners and nothing really completely got rid of the spots. I heard of this stuff called PlastDip that you can spray on and it just puts a layer of new rubber on. I saw the finished product on another thread it turned out looking great.

i've used plasti dip on my mustang, and now on my bar cover. that stuff is the bomb, love it.
your ski looks nice, where did you order turf from?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that you removes the old mats. what are you using to plug all the old rivit holes with so you don't get a leak ?? Im doing the same thing but I don't know what to use for the holes.

Thanks
MTM

You don't have to plug the holes. Hydro-Turf recommends that when you put on your new turf, just have a clean surface to work with, then stick the new mats on. The reason they gave is because, the sealant you use to fill the holes will stick to the mats, which will cause the mats to loose adhesion in those areas. So, best to leave as is, with just a nice clean, lightly scuffed surface. You can look at a few of my threads on the turf, and also in my "snipes korner". I've put it on several boats and skis. I"ve found working the hydro-turf a lot more reliable than the stuff SBT came out with a year or two ago (black tip). The material the turf is made with is a lot more pliable and gives a lot more without loosing adhesion than any other material I've worked with. I have the two tone on my GTX, man, that stuff is awesome. Hydro-Turf was the original mat retailer before all the other places like SBT, found there was a good market for it. I'm not to good with copy cat rip-offs.

Oh, I use "Goo Gone" for removing any kind of glue. But, if it's left over from where I'm putting on my new mats, the sand paper does just as good. In all my applications but one, I have used the sand paper to scuff it up. Oh, stainless steel wool does as good as the paper. Then, clean off the area with a dab of alcohol or gas (with no oil in it) before applying the new ones. The one application I did not scuff up the hull, I had to re-do the following season becaue it came up around the edges. At least, it was my own boat. I used the 3M spray on 77, but the following season, went with the 90. It has worked a lot better. The 3M can of paint on is suppose to be the best, but for me, it seems a bit messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got to the installation of the hydro-turf, I used a contact cement gel to reduce the mess. Looks great and seems like it should hold well. I posted a video on youtube of the final outcome and the link is below. Overall the installation was pretty easy and the cost of the hydro-turf and other materials was well worth it. They look much better then the ones from the factory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozdQIcEwvws&context=C347ac21ADOEgsToPDskLwnuVm-0CUDpkLsZqimxyk

Oh man, I can agree with ya there. My 97 GTX was in mint (and still is for that matter) condition when I bought it. But, those black rubber strips they put on from Seadoo, had buckled up everywhere there was a rivot. I couldn't wait to get them off. Man, what a difference under foot those things make. ... Great job, BTW.

Back