Seadoo Challenger 1800 / Rotax engine keeps blowing up - help!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

js2001

Hello,
I bought a 2007 Seadoo Challenger 1800 in May of this year that needed a new engine. The reason for the original ROTAX engine blowing up was per previous owner a bad supercharger (2007 model with ceramic washers).
I had a local certified seadoo dealer install an SBT engine. The re-manufactured engine (#1) was purchased through the dealer that performed the installation. I asked them to check the supercharger which caused the original engine (that I bought from the previous owner) to blow up and the dealer told me the supercharger was all good as they had checked it. In June i received the repaired boat with new engine. I loved it for the few hours I had a chance to enjoy it.

I had the seadoo dealer do the service check / oil change after the 10 hour break-in period and all was fine. During breakin I did not exceed 3500 RPM's. After 4 hours on the water this new engine blows up (I was dumbfounded). The dealer tells me that it was a 1 in a million chance that this would happen on a brand new rebuild ROTAX engine that he had just installed. The dealer told me the engine manufacturer (SBT) did a detailed root cause analysis and they found the engine had a faulty valve which caused the engine to blow up.

I accepted the explanation that it was bad luck and paid for the installation of a new engine (#2 @ 1500 dollars for the service / 2nd engine was free under warranty of manufacturer) and in August I was back on the water. The season was not over yet...so was not going to ruin my boating time by looking backwards....

Again I broke the engine in for 10 hours and dropped the boat off for the service check (@250 dollars) Three hours after break-in of the second engine it stopped again in the middle of the water. I went back and dropped it off at the dealer. Again they told me it was the engine that had blown up. This time they blamed it on the (new) supercharger that had blown up which caused the new new engine (#2) to blow up.

If the first new engine to blow up was a one in a million chance what is the chance that the second engine blows up? I picked up the phone and called the engine manufacturer / SBT and they told me in writing what they found the cause to be of my (new) engine to blow up. Nothing was said about a faulty valve. The most likely rootcause according to them was debris not being cleaned out of the parts that connect with the new engine. The debris would be caused by the failure of the original engine (previous owner).

I spoke to the dealer about the 2nd engine failure. And he basically told me that when I asked them to check for the supercharger they has checked the compression and it was good. In order to validate that the supercharger was installed correctly by previous owner they would have to take it apart @ 3 hours of work which they had not done. Dealer also told me that as he had not installed the new :lol:supercharger he was not liable for any malfunction. But ... he never advised me this was an option or a risk..Up to this point I had never seen a supercharger and had no clue what it was.. I trusted the certified dealer to advise me what to do with the boat when I dropped it off the first time. all I was told by the dealer at that time was that the new supercharger was ok. With me spending 7k on the first engine I would have been happy to spend another 3 hundred bucks to eliminate any risk of future failure of this brand new engine especially given that it was the supercharger that caused the original engine to blow up.

I feel like the patient went to a doctor with a stomach pain and was send back home with an aspirine which eased the symptoms of the pain. Now the patient died of stomach cancer and the doctor's defence is that the patient never asked for cancer treatment.
I feel I'm duped. It is december now and I bought the boat in May of this year. The boat is in exactly the same shape (it has a blown up engine) as when I bought it but I have apprx. 10k less in my pocket and the dealer has 10k more in his pocket. Something is wrong in this picture.

Both re-manufactured engines came from SBT and I received a replacement for the first engine at no cost for the engine. But I am paying for the installation and checkups every single time.

Note also that both engines never drove beyond 38 miles per hour.... should a 215HP supercharged engine go faster than than??? Was there a problem with the supercharger in the first place??

Is residue debris a likely cause for a new installed engine to blow up again? Where would the debris be (which non engine parts) if the entire engine has been replaced by SBT?

I'd like to get professional opinion from the experts here on this forum. I feel like 3 blown up engines in such a short time is not a coincidence. I also feel duped and the dealer is running circles around me and does not want to take any accountability.

Help!!!

Please advise.
Thanks

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My understanding is SBT 4Tec engines do not include the front and rear covers with the oil pumps, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

When the first SBT engine went in were the oil pumps cleaned out and checked for damage and the oil cooler flushed ? If not the residual ceramic particles probably circulated through the new engine and did damage. If the oil pumps were badly damaged there may have been insufficient oil flow which caused damage. Were the same oil pumps used on the second engine ?

The supercharger should have been rebuilt when the first engine went in.

Sounds like this dealership are parts swappers and did not properly address the root cause of the original engine failure. If they knew the original engine failed because of ceramic washer damage then the oil pumps need to be checked, cleaned and possibly rebuilt along with flushing and cleaning all of the oil passages in the front and rear covers and oil cooler.

Is there another dealership or independant shop you could take it to ?

Wow, my greatest sympathies to you js. Valve failure is not too uncommon. I'm not sure if SBT puts in new valves or not with their remanufacture process. The stock valves were prone to this failure. The supercharger clutch washers were also very prone to failure, but if the supercharger was rebuilt anytime recently (1-2 years recently) then it should have had the updated steel washers installed. I didn't understand the root cause of the 2nd engine failure: how did it "blow up"? What exactly went bad? If the dealership put the supercharger back on with ceramic washers, they should lose their license to work on seadoo engines. That would be pure negligence. Does your engine at least turn over when you try to start it now?

Thanks for the responses....

I bought the boat with the blown up engine. Seller had put in a new supercharger. (Note in hindsight this is strange ... Why did original owner put in new supercharger but the stopped and de used to sell the boat)

When I brought the boat to the dealer I asked them to check the supercharger and make sure it was ok.

First SBT engine gets installed by dealer and blows up after a few hours. According to dealer root cause is faulty valve. According to SBT root cause is debris. First SBT engine gets replaced by dealer with second SBT engine and this one blows up as well after a few hours. Dealer has verified thus far that second engine has indeed blown up. No further work has occurred on this engine.

Note that with this second SBT engine the dealer provides a different root cause. This time the supercharger blew up. They told me that since they did not install this SC they do not know if it was done correctly. When I reminded them that I had asked them to validate it was ok, when I originally brought the boat to them, they told me the following. They had checked the supercharger compression originally and it was ok and so they assumed it was ok. They also tell me now that in order for them to validate that SC was installed correctly they would have to take it apart @3 extra hours of work and they did not do that. They did not advise me that this was an option at that time. Given that I was spending thousands of dollars I would have incurred this extra expense of they would have advised me to do that...but they told me nothing ad said SC is ok.

The SC is blown up now and it is according to them not possible to tell what had caused it to blow up.

Dealer believes that this supercharger did not have the ceramic washers. On the phone dealer wondered out loud if the ceramic SC can even be bought.

Looks like first SBT engine blew up due to residue debris

Second SBT engine possibly faulty SC installation????? Or can it also be residue of debris???

Was there negligence by dealer in your opinion???

I'm asking for help as I'm not technical and when I bought the boat I did not even know what a SC does or how it looks like ... I did expect the dealer to advise me on this and recommend the right thing to eliminate reoccurrence of this catastrophic engine failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proving legal negligence is going to be difficult. Naming the dealership and finding a new dealer is free. I wouldn't go back to this dealer and I would recommend others in the area avoid them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back