seadoo 3d 2004 misfiring prob

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

toppo72

hi just got a seadoo 3d , but its got a misfire prob , revs up nice but then somtimes sputters abit like a misfire , engine sound nice and looks claen , can anyonw put me in the right direction on wat to try thanks mark
ps also i dont no wat size engine is it , how do i find out ,

Engines on the 2004 and 2005 3d's are the 800cc RFI 110hp(not sure if Euro specs are the same as US). If it is truely misfiring, check the plugs. You can tell alot from the plugs from what they look like (mixture to rich or too lean). In theory, you should get the perfect mix since it is auto mixed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Could check the fuel system and oil system. A little more info would go along way.

just took plugs out , look bit black not bad thow , put new ones in and went round all wires en stuff greasing and checking , all looks good , i took the fliter thing out the top of the fuel tank and its full a water and brown gunk, so think ive sorted it , thanks mark
ps could i just clean it out or buy new one ?

Last edited by a moderator:
seadoo still being a pain . ive cleaned the fuel lines and changed fuel filter changed plugs, cleaned rave valves , , still got splutter when riding , the odd time it will clear and run fine, ??? ,, dont no what to try now , ive just took the plugs out again and one looks nice colour and one looks little darker , ive got the injectors out at the mins going to get em checked , but if any 1 could give me abit more advise on what next to check,, ??
its got good compression , and the fuel line seems to have good pressure ?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
thanks mark

So one plug is running too rich? Now how dark are we talking? Its normal to have a little discoloration on the plug tip, but too much indicated that it is running too rich or oil injection on that particular cylinder is not good.
Now is this a misfire or a stall? describe the problem a little more indepth please so I can help!

Did you check both fuel filters? There is one on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly and one near the top. The one at the bottom is replaceable, the one at the top is not. If the one at the top is fubar, then you have to buy a whole new fuel pump.

hi ive took the hole pump out again yest and took pump apart and yes the top filter was well **** up , so i cleaned all the crud out , and cleaned filter ,also the fuel pump was well rusty , so i got sum wet en dry on it,,
i got a new bottom filter , ,, so now its all back togeather going to see if that made any diff,
the only other thing to try is a feul pressure test ,
the ski starts good and tick over seems ok , but as im going along it dies and come back like ,same at full throttle , goes well for a min then die for a second and kicks on again , does it alot , the odd time ill havea good 10 mins or so , with no probs , ??
and the thing uses alot of fuel , ,, is the 3d ski a gas gussler LOL
thanks mark

hmmmm....Mine doesn't use too much fuel. I can go for about 4 1/2 hours with WOT being used 3/4 of the time. Sounds like a fuel or oil delivery problem if i had to guess. Could be electrical too. Maybe not gettin spark 100% of the time. I'm surprised that no one else has chimed in on this...

think i no wat it is , i found on another forum that the retifire can cause alot of probs, anyway i was told to run it with only the black wire only from the retifire , so it runs from the batt only and guess wat runs well good no missing , so im going to get a retifire first ,, thanks for your help anyway cheers mark

can some one confirm that it could be the rectifier that causes this , as i dont want to spend 180 on the part ad it dont cure it ,, the rectifier is charging the batt , but if i unplug the red wire it runs fine ??
thanks mark

Exact problem as mine. Take the fuel pump out and remove the pump from the housing. Wiggle the long tube - its a pressure fit. You will find another filter in there just like the one on the bottom only a little smaller. Clean that and the base and you are back in business - takes about 45 minutes

hi again i done that other filter was well dirty , but no joy ski still the same ,, i even got a new retifier just incase ,, no joy still , im thinking it could be fuel pump not enough pressure ? but would like to make sure before i spend any more , ??? also if on of u dont mind on my 3d the fuel tank vent pipe thats a one way thing what way should it work ?
i can blow in my and pressure the fuel tank m is this right ?
thanks mark

Your ski is probably fine. The 2004 800 RFI 3D only runs on 1 cylinder at idle speed. This is how it was designed by SeaDoo in an effort to get a very low idle speed and save some gas as well, although a very poor design, in my opinion. It tends to sound a little rough and sputtery at low idle and then jumps into a smoother sound at higher throttle positions. If you do a lot of idleing, one plug will foul and look darker.

When these motors get some age to them and when they're cold, they will stall until they get warmed up. Start it on the trailer and give it enough throttle to run on both cylinders for about 20 seconds, this will help.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm trying to put as much info as I can into this.
I bought a 04 manufactured seadoo 3D about 2 months ago. I have put about 20 hours on it and it has run excellent until last week.

After being on the water for 20min it stalled while I was at WOT. It was hard to restart and I had to feather the throttle to get it going again (flooded with fuel). After I get it running again it will run 100% fine for the rest of the day. I have never had it stall twice in an outing (usually an hour - 1hr 30min). It has happened the past 3 times I went out (checking quite a few things after the first incident) This is what I have checked so far.

The plugs foul fast, they are black but not wet, so it is running rich.
The fuel pump is fine and puts out good pressure, the filters are also good.
No obstructions in the intake.
Good spark
New plugs
No gunk or obstructions in the fuel lines
No gunk or water in the fuel tank
New (good) fuel
Voltage on the battery when the machine is revving never goes higher then 14v
Fuel injectors have corrosion on the outside but are otherwise good (as far as I can inspect them) The return springs seem to still be strong.

So there is the list so far, is there anything that you think would make the engine run rich and stall from too much fuel at high rpms? It has never stalled or run rough lower then 3/4 throttle.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm trying to put as much info as I can into this.
I bought a 04 manufactured seadoo 3D about 2 months ago. I have put about 20 hours on it and it has run excellent until last week.

After being on the water for 20min it stalled while I was at WOT. It was hard to restart and I had to feather the throttle to get it going again (flooded with fuel). After I get it running again it will run 100% fine for the rest of the day. I have never had it stall twice in an outing (usually an hour - 1hr 30min). It has happened the past 3 times I went out (checking quite a few things after the first incident) This is what I have checked so far.

The plugs foul fast, they are black but not wet, so it is running rich.
The fuel pump is fine and puts out good pressure, the filters are also good.
No obstructions in the intake.
Good spark
New plugs
No gunk or obstructions in the fuel lines
No gunk or water in the fuel tank
New (good) fuel
Voltage on the battery when the machine is revving never goes higher then 14v
Fuel injectors have corrosion on the outside but are otherwise good (as far as I can inspect them) The return springs seem to still be strong.

So there is the list so far, is there anything that you think would make the engine run rich and stall from too much fuel at high rpms? It has never stalled or run rough lower then 3/4 throttle.

Well, something is happening at WOT that doesn't normally happen when it is not at WOT. Here are my thoughts that are somewhat out of the box:)How is your oil delivery? possible that oil injector is opening too much when you have it at WOT or cable connecting is bent/crimped.

It's weird that this isn't a fuel delivery problem though...Sounds like the mixture is going wrong at some point, but it is also odd that it clears up for you the rest of the day...Could just be a hiccup.

Maybe try checking the Rave Valves and their bellows. Mine had too much oil in the bellows so they wouldn't open. This was causing the exhaust to choke out my engine.

If your unsure about the injectors, replace 'em

Hope I helped at least open up the idea domino effect:D

I have not checked my oil delivery yet but I will look in the manual and give it a once over. To check the RAVEs will i need new gaskets? That is the only reason I didn't pull them open first.

The running rich/plug fouling and intermittent nature of the problem screams "Fuel problems" and I was also very surprised not to find anything blatantly wrong.

Just wanted to keep this thread alive my 3d is doing the same thing and I cannot seem to find anyone with a solution anywhere. I have basically learned to live with the miss fire but this weekend I had someone cut right in front of me on the lake and had to gas it to avoid them it missed and bogged and almost caused me to not be able to turn so I am back trying to figure out what is going on. Fuel filters and tank clean, plugs good, rave valves clean? Anyone with any other ideas?

Wow, Thanks Macgyver! I will give this a try I never would have figured this out on my own I will report back with the results when I have this fixed.

a little late, but you should replace the gaskets. I did not on mine as there were no signs of significant wear on them (melted or disfigured).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back