Sea Trail on potential purchase : 2001 Challenger 2000 240 EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

go-hokies

Thanks for all the info on this site. Have done my reaearch and think I have the pre-purchase inspection list based on the post here:

1) Oil System - Prone to failure - Will be running pre-mix after the stories of blown engines.
2) Jet Drive / Grate - Inspect and possibly replace with improved version to prevent breakage / sucking it up into impellar
3) Make sure the engine is the "as advertised version" Some "bait and switch" on the 200 vs 240
4) Compression check - 110 nominal?

5) General sea trial performance - Hole Shot - no cavitation should be present or else has a worn impellar.

Interior and gel coat in good condition. ( Some seams have pulled apart, no tears should be easy fix ) All accessories and lights work. Trailer good to go as well missign a few lights ...

Price - Approx $6000 Sound about right?

Thanks!

If it's in good condition... $6k is a great price.

I'm going to respond in the same order as your Q's.

1) That's up to you. I will agree that the oil system is conveluted, and the drive gear can fail. I guess on a boat of this age... I would go pre-mix also. I'm doing a rebuild on a 240 that threw a rod, but the oil system showed no sign of being ready to fail.

2) Yes.

3) I dont' know how many of these reports are Honest "Bait and Switch" issues. Some people don't know, and if they have a title that says 240 on it... they don't want to hear that they only have a 200 or 210. But... it's an easy thing to check. Just look at the engine tag. There are 2 tags with the serial number and the engine type... and on the ECU the tag will reflect the power. On my ECU, there is a big paper tag that says... "240 ECU"

I guess I always give people the benefit of the doubt. (i'm too trusting)

4) Yes... 110 would be getting ready for a top-end. 125 to 130 would be better.

5) It's a used boat, at a good price. Some cavitation, and a few small issues should be expected. There's nothing I hate more than when I sell one of my toys, and people nit pick. I sold a 1990 Si, and was only asking $1k. It ran well, was VERY clean for the year, and was on a nice trailer. The first person who came out was trying to beat me up on the price because there were scuffs in the foot wells, there were a few chips in the Gel Coat, and that the foam rubber seal was chunked up in the hood. After about 10 minutes, I looked at the guy and said... "you know what... I think I'm keeping it, and if you want perfection, you can go up the street to the seadoo dealer and spend $12K on a new one."

I'm not trying to say buy a junk boat without complaints... but look at the overall package, and if it's clean... but you may have to put $400 to $600 more into it, to clean it up a little... that's part of buying used. (I hope you understand about what I'm saying)

Keep us posted about if you get it or not.

Oh... Here's the ski that the guy was nit picking about.... (The Galvanized trailer would cost more than $1k at the dealer, and it was like new)

10.jpg

143.jpg

11.jpg

I have the same boat and it has been great. Good power for skiing or tubing. I just had 8 people out this weekend and the kids were tubing with no power issues. I would however replace the hydro surge impeller grate immediately. I bought the boat from a family member that had a piece of wood destroy the jet system. His insurance covered the complete replacement of the jet drive, wear rings, stator, etc. A sea doo dealer in deep creek MD. Did the work and the bill was more than your boats price. The good thing for me is I have an 11 yr old boat with a 3 yr old jet system with almost no hours before me. I would not chance damage to the jet drive.

I also am weighing the pros and cons of oil premix. I have not changed yet, but I am no mechanic so a blown engine would be catastrophic for me.

Good luck.

Thanks. for the response. I totally understand it is a "used" boat and will not nit pick ( there are some scuff, knicks, etc that I did not mention as they come with the age of the boat)

In terms of bait and switch, maybe that was a bit strong, I did not mean to imply that it was done in purpose. Just something I need to check and verify.

I am not scared of a little work ( bought a 98 sea ray with 2 cracked blocks ) but the prices quoted for blown motors are a little scaary. ( Picked up 2 new 350 marine longblocks for my sea ray for right at 5000, i hearing that for a single power head.

Yes... the Merc engines are a little pricey. The best I found the 240 EFI... from a reputable shop... was $3200. (includes shipping) There is a shop near me that will do the rebuild for $2400, but I've heard bad things about them.

Hopefully soon... I will offer a rebuild service to the members here to keep prices in check. (my own engine is the Guinea Pig)

Dr. Honda,

I sure hope I don't need any major work in the near future, but you would be the first person I would contact for a rebuild if thats something you will be getting into on the Mercury engines. Thankfully I am only a few minutes away from you.

Good luck on finishing up your Islandia so we can possibly schedule a Pittsburgh area ride.

Well... the way I see it... "one Marine" is a crap re-builder... and the local dealers won't touch the Merc boats. And... since I'm spending the $$$ to set up fixtures to do my own engine... I may as well help others.

But... this is dependent on how my engine turns out. TO be honest... my engine is probably "Worst case" before the engine needs trashed. I have to weld up a large hole, and replace a sleeve. I won't be going general Merc repairs... but I will help out the member here.

FYI.... Here's my shop.

3.jpg

Very nice Shop.... Used to be int he auto industry and know thats stuff's not cheap...

(( Weather has delayed sea trial, but went to boats.net and put a bunch of items in my cart in case i pull the trigger ( block off stuff, fuel filters and spark plugs ))

Yep... it's not cheap.

I left a perfectly good day job as the Lead in an R&D Lab. (Chemical reverse engeneering) and I dropped about $150K on the equipment in my shop. Needless to say, the wife wasn't too happy with me. (lol)

Boats.net has a good rep. I just ordered the last of what I needed to finish my project last night with Boats.net. (Filter, rod bolts, drive gasket, and a new oil gear) I think I've decided to keep my oil injection, and even though my gear looks good... I decided to spend the $$$ and put a new gear in the engine.

Keep us posted on the trial. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today is the day of sea trial. Picked up compression tester yesterday. So here is plan:

Sea trial
Compression test
Final inspection of the grate and pump
then decision time

To be honest I have been reading too much stuff online and I get the feeeling I am going down the wrong path with the mercury m2. Too many stories about bad stuff, not enough good but maybe thats what's it's all about. People need help with problems and do not Need help when everything is going well. I feel I have a solution to gear failure. But lack of a wear ring scares me. I have replaced 2 of these on my RXT over the years so I know I am sucking up stuff...

Like they say. "if you're scared, say you're scared". Well, I am scared but man the boat looks so nice and I am sure it will be a blast.

Well today is the day of sea trial. Picked up compression tester yesterday. So here is plan:

Sea trial
Compression test
Final inspection of the grate and pump
then decision time

To be honest I have been reading too much stuff online and I get the feeeling I am going down the wrong path with the mercury m2. Too many stories about bad stuff, not enough good but maybe thats what's it's all about. People need help with problems and do not Need help when everything is going well. I feel I have a solution to gear failure. But lack of a wear ring scares me. I have replaced 2 of these on my RXT over the years so I know I am sucking up stuff...

Like they say. "if you're scared, say you're scared". Well, I am scared but man the boat looks so nice and I am sure it will be a blast.

I understand what you are feeling. Over the past few years this forum has been a great source of information, but my wife claims that the more I read the more I become paranoid of possible problems. I like to think that I am becoming more aware of symptoms, but I understand the concerns.

I also understand that people who have no issues with the performance of any device tend not to discuss the greatness and just utilize it and enjoy it. I have no idea how many 240EFI's Seadoo used, and I am not sure of the overall reliability, but we are definitely dealing primarily with the bad end of the spectrum when people come to the forum for help.

As far as concerns with sucking things up, this was definitely a major one in my mind based on previous owner experience. The first thing I did was order an 11 tine stainless steel rock grate. The lake I boat in is very deep, but I did not want any issues. I can tell you that over the past 3 years I have sustained no dings to the impeller or stator that I can visualize.

There are definite tradeoffs on this type of boat. I just spent the past 2 days on my friends Four Winns 190 with a Volvo 4.3 and I can tell you it is much quieter than the 2 stroke Mercury. Steering tracks perfectly straight, the gel coat seems better than the SeaDoo and the deeper V hull is smoother. I don't know if I am comparing apples to oranges, but this was a 1996 and it is very nice. It just wasn't as fun. Can't do the same things as my Seadoo. More luxury for sure, but not the same feeling.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure that if you go with the boat you will find the guys on this forum to be a tremendous resource. They go out of their way to try to help others, so its a great community to be a part of.

I'm not one to usually freak, but reading posts here gets me concerned as well. On the maiden voyage we sucked up a beer can with the hydro surge grate. Replaced it the next week. 2 weeks ago we sucked up what looked to be a t-shirt.

Overall the boat performs well and is lots of fun. There is a boat shop here that says they aren't afraid to work on them, so that is comforting. My latest "freak" is over the oil injection system.....

You have to remember that a forum is a concentrated point of problems. People come here to get help... so you will see all the bad.

You have to remember that a forum is a concentrated point of problems. People come here to get help... so you will see all the bad.

Agreed. But it seems like most are down on the Merc Powered Seadoo's. Like storming the castle to get Frankenstein.

OK.. Sea trial complete.. Results:

- Everything worked and went well with one exception - Steering to Port- the engine revved approx 400 rpm, to startboard revved 100-200 rpm. Any suggestions ( not a deal breaker though, just an observation)

Also checked compression 125-130 psi on all 6... very little variation, more in reading the gauge then variation... ( Brand new tester)

- Orginal grate - going to replace.

A few seems loose on the seats - we removed and he is taking to shop to have them repaired.

Previous owner was great to work with.. feeling better about pulling the trigger on this deal. Paperwork and money exchange tomorrow and its mine.

Mike

Nice. Sounds like a good boat. Post up some pics when you can.

Not sure why you get 2 different RPM's on steering... unless the steering cable isn't centered. Regardless... it's probably just an adjustment.

A Steal!

Nice. Sounds like a good boat. Post up some pics when you can.

Not sure why you get 2 different RPM's on steering... unless the steering cable isn't centered. Regardless... it's probably just an adjustment.

Just so you know, you're getting that boat for a great price. A 20 footer up here would run you a minimum of 9K but more likely 10K.

Good Luck!

I'll throw in my $.02 as well. Great buy! Without seeing the pics, what you have described sounds like at least an $8K boat to me.

OK.. Sea trial complete.. Results:

- Everything worked and went well with one exception - Steering to Port- the engine revved approx 400 rpm, to startboard revved 100-200 rpm. Any suggestions ( not a deal breaker though, just an observation)

Mike

There is the low speed cable that runs into the same place as the steering cable. The low speed cable will accelerate the engine when the throttle is at idle and the steering wheel is turned full port or full starboard. It does need to be adjusted after the steering cable has been adjusted. It is in the Sea Doo Shop Manual, not the operators manual nor is it in the mercury manual. Some models have a magnetic sensor instead of the cable. Both of them are under the helm console and on top of the steering bracket. It is an at home fix.

Eddie

There is the low speed cable that runs into the same place as the steering cable. The low speed cable will accelerate the engine when the throttle is at idle and the steering wheel is turned full port or full starboard. It does need to be adjusted after the steering cable has been adjusted. It is in the Sea Doo Shop Manual, not the operators manual nor is it in the mercury manual. Some models have a magnetic sensor instead of the cable. Both of them are under the helm console and on top of the steering bracket. It is an at home fix.

Eddie

Thanks... Like I said not a deal breaker but good to know its a "home fix"

I hope to pick up tomorrow, but then out of town for a week... ( sometimes timing just does not work out like you want it too )

Mike

Picked up boat today after week of vacation. As agreed previous owner had seats repaired ( no tears, just seams came undone ) and also replaced the bottom center cushions on the rear bench .
Got home and Poppy cover was on front porch ( ordered Tuesday, so super fast shipping ).

Re-installed seats, lubed up the swivel seats ( p/o did not know they moved, until i showed him, so they were tight )

Block off kit and New 6 tine grate also shwoed while away on vacation. Have a few things to do, but looks like i will be on the water this weekend.

2 questions: 1) Grate: anything special needed to install, got dark before i got to crawl under and had to return boat to storage yard
2) Cockpit lights- How do you replace bulbs ( perko lights ) have 1 bulb burned out?

(( Also installed Poppy cover for the 1st time ( int he dark) and it fit like a glove and only took about 5 minutes to put on. Looks awesome ))

More to come .. Thanks

1) I haven't taken the grate off my boat... but looking at it... it should be straight forward. I'll double check, and post again shortly.

2) The cover should just pop off. Is this the courtesy lights?

Poppy covers are GREAT !!!!!!!!!! I've owned 3 of them now, and I won't buy a cover form anyone else. Terry is a great person to deal with, and the prices are very good. And most of the time, if you talk to her first, and tell her that you were sent from this board, she will give you a discount. The cover I just got for my Islandia fit perfect. It was a little tight getting it on the first time... but now that it's been out in the weather for a month... the fit is PERFECT !!

*******EDIT*******

1) Yep... looks like 4 bolts, and it will come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back