Sea Doo wont stop

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larsson

Hi

I have a Sea doo GTI -99 with a 717 Engine.
I really need to get some help to solve a problem I have, the engine will not kill on stop button or if I pull the dess key.
If I don't connect the key it will not start (as normal :)), when I connect the key and push the start button the motor starts and work fine, but when I try to stop it (on same button) the starter run as it will when it's not running. When I disconnect the dess key it won't stop either?!
I have just replace the engine with a refurbished one, but I haven't touch any wiring and it work fine with the old engine. I have checked all fuses and connectors and they appears okey.
So is there anyone who has any idea what the problem could be?
(Sorry for bad language/spelling but I'm Swedish :) )

maybe new engine has a bad stator and the charging system is creating interference that causes the mpem to do that, ?
Just a theory.
Or your mpem is going bad ?

I read somewhere that using non resistor plugs can do wacky things with the electronics. Are you running resistor plugs?

Are you saying that the starter keeps cranking OR the motor keeps running no matter what you do?

If the starter keeps cranking then you need a new solenoid. It happened to me.

If the motor won't shut off then i hope someone else will chime in with an answer, besides disconnecting the battery.

Are you saying that the starter keeps cranking OR the motor keeps running no matter what you do?

If the starter keeps cranking then you need a new solenoid. It happened to me.

If the motor won't shut off then i hope someone else will chime in with an answer, besides disconnecting the battery.

Seems like he's saying the start button always makes the starter turn instead of it being a start/stop button.

so when the engine is running and he hit's the start/stop button again, the starter spin's up and grinds the gears:p

Seems like he's saying the start button always makes the starter turn instead of it being a start/stop button.

so when the engine is running and he hit's the start/stop button again, the starter spin's up and grinds the gears:p

It is exactly as Mekanix describe it.
Robj: I do indeed have new sparkplugs but I think there are exactly the same as the old ones, but I will for sure trie the old ones just in case.
The wierd thing is that everything with the electronics works fine when I take it to Winter storage (with the old Engine) but know it suddenly don't work, is got to have someting to do with the engine change somehow, but then aigin, I haven't touch anything with the wirinig (besides the stator on the Engine).
The MPEM gives two short beeps when I attache the key, as if everything is okey.
What/how is killing the engine normally when you press the stop button? You provide the MPEM with a stop signal, then what happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure that the plugs are BR8ES I believe the R denotes a resistor plug, so you could have been given a B8ES that would be the same otherwise except for being a non-resistor plug.

It sounds like something is causing the MPEM to not recognize that the engine is running and thus always hitting the starter instead of killing the motor when it's running and starting when its not.

Thank you all for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it!
I has checked the spark plugs and thats not the issue, but now I have a bigger problem, now it won´t start at all :(
It only gives continous beeps when I push the start button, so I am afraid it is something wrong with the MPEM/CDI box.
Does anyone know if I purchase a new one, will it need to get programmed with the dess key somehow or if its just "plug and play"?

Thank you all for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it!
I has checked the spark plugs and thats not the issue, but now I have a bigger problem, now it won´t start at all :(
It only gives continous beeps when I push the start button, so I am afraid it is something wrong with the MPEM/CDI box.
Does anyone know if I purchase a new one, will it need to get programmed with the dess key somehow or if its just "plug and play"?

I can sell you a MPEM with a matching key, it will be plug and play. PM me if you are interested.

I can sell you a MPEM with a matching key, it will be plug and play. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks a lot, but I have already purchased a used MPEM with a matching key on ebay, but I haven't recieved it yet. I also purchased a wire harness because the connector to the MPEM didn´t look good.
I will post the result after changing the MPEM/contact, so maybe other with same problem can get helped with solution.

Be sure your battery is charged while testing, one continuous beep is usually means that the mpem does not recognize the key, but this can be causes by a low battery.
When you hit the start button and put draw on the battery, if the battery is weak, you can loose your key connection because the volts dropped to low and get the dreaded continuous beep.
When doing any of tests, be sure your battery does not drop below 11.5 ish volts while under cranking load.

I have now changed the main connector on the wire harness and the mpem, and it seems like one or both of this was the problem, because now I got i running (and stopping :)) again!
But I also have an additional question regarding ignition timing, I have swapped the engine to a factory refurbrished one and I wonder if I need to do a timing check on the ignition?
It starts and run real smoth (as I can hear).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back