RESTO Sea-Doo spx800 running lumpy and cutting out full throttle fouling plugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashr88

I was out on my bike earlier today and all way running fine. I was on a wot run and it cut out and wouldn't start again. I got towed in and checked the plugs and the were really fouled. I change the plugs when back out and was running really lumpy and after another wot run it cut out and fouled the plugs again and wouldn't start until I changed the plugs. Any ideas I'm thinking carbs?

Sure sounds like a carb issue. How long has it been since you did a full fuel system service including carb rebuild?

The carbs were overhauled end of last year all fuel lines and vent lines changed, I've open the carbs up and they all mint inside, haven't checked the pop off yet. I run novi 44s. I'm hoping it's a carb problem like a needle sticking.
I run a msd enhancer was thinking it could possibly be that but I've got a real strong spark coming from both leads...

Metal bits on the pickup inside the mag cover can mess with the spark signal and/or the bracket for the pickup like to crack and break if it's pre-mid 97.

The rectifier/regulator's are weak also so check your voltage when sitting, idling, and when revving to make sure it's not throwing over 14v.

The MSD does throw a hot spark so the ends of the leads need to be trimmed back to good wire with the caps screwed back on till they stop more often then stockers(probably between 30 and 40 hours of use).

Just an Update I've taken the carbs apart and cleaned them and reset the pop off to be sure its not fuel related.
The symptoms I'm getting now is the ski will run perfect for 5 mins then the bog down and only run half power.
I've disconnected the red cable on the rectifier to rule that out and still no difference. Would a bad stator cause these symptoms?

The front cylinder was getting hotter then the rear also, these are the plugs I had in.
340.jpg

Do a compression test. That gray plug is the suspect. When the engine cuts out at WOT, it's usually an engine seizure. You can also look at the pistons by pulling the RAVE valves.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back