Sea doo keeps taking water in hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron787gsx

Hey everyone so I got an issue with my 1996 sea doo GSX 787 motor. I keep getting water into my hull and I had already replaced my carbon ring and the VTS boot on the jet pump due to it being torn. I checked the exhaust cause I know that they are somewhat known for cracking and didn’t seem to find anything abnormal and it’s a pretty good amount of water within 10 to 15 minutes of riding it will fill up to about 3inches or so if anyone has an idea of what it could be please shoot them towards me thanks

Have you tried running the machine on a hose on the trailer and watching what's happening inside the hull? If something is leaking, you should be able to see/find it.

My '96 GTX was taking on some water and I found the water pressure regulator valve (looks like a RAVE valve on the exhaust system in the back of the ski) was leaking...the internal rubber diaphragm had a tear in it. I also discovered my ski was NOT peeing out the back and found a vegetation plug in the water inlet line to the head.

Don't run the ski TOO LONG on the hose, hose water does NOT provide any cooling for the carbon seal so NO RUNNING ANY LONGER THAN a minute or two on the hose.

What about the exhaust you think it could possibly have a crack in it
Possible, but you should see water leaking into the hull...most likely when running on the hose.
If the ski is just taking in water from active use, the ski should also be "bailing" that water out.....have you cleaned the bailers (as they do plug up with accumulated crap over time) and checked that the tubing is clear. The bailers only really work the best when the ski is running in water though since the suction comes from the jet pump, etc....

This is the bailer, you should be able to pop it out from under that bracket and check that the holes underneath are clear/open. there is one on either side of the driveshaft.Inked13_LI.jpg

I had a ski that was taking on water that came over bow, and under the front hood, it had a damaged or missing boot, or maybe the hinge was damaged and didn't allow it to seal correctly, I don't remember exactly. It may not be your issue but worth checking.

Also if the bailers are missing the plastic tubes in the reduction nozzle of the jet pump it will push water into the hull instead of sucking it out. And if the bailer hoses are not tied high up in the hull they will siphon water back in.

Could also be a leak in the tuned pipe. The welch plugs tend to corrode, spraying water into the hull. The lower inner one tends to go first as there is always water (and often silt/sand) trapped in that location inside the water jacket of the pipe.

This would not happen unless the ski was in the water and running, though.

Could also be a leak in the tuned pipe. The welch plugs tend to corrode, spraying water into the hull. The lower inner one tends to go first as there is always water (and often silt/sand) trapped in that location inside the water jacket of the pipe.

This would not happen unless the ski was in the water and running, though.

The thing is with that I hook it up to the water hose and it doesn’t leak I used a mirror to see and I don’t see any leaks it’s just when I put it in the water and run it

Also I spoke to a service manager at a jet ski store and he said it could be the housing of where the jet pump bolts to the ski. Said it could be corroded. I don’t really think that’s the case just didn’t sound right

I’m going to check the bailers whenever I get home and throw some water in the hull to see if they are working or not to suck the water out

I’m going to check the bailers whenever I get home and throw some water in the hull to see if they are working or not to suck the water out
That won't work unless the ski is in the water and the jet is blasting out the back.

As Miki has already stated...the ski needs to be in the water and running with the pump blasting away....there is a vacuuming effect created to suck the water out of the hull through the bailers....SO water goes in through the bailers, UP the hoses and OUT the back.....you can't create that "vacuum" running on the hose.

As Miki has already stated...the ski needs to be in the water and running with the pump blasting away....there is a vacuuming effect created to suck the water out of the hull through the bailers....SO water goes in through the bailers, UP the hoses and OUT the back.....you can't create that "vacuum" running on the hose.

Okay I will head to the lake and see what happens I’ll have to run it with the seat off

Okay I will head to the lake and see what happens I’ll have to run it with the seat off
Drop the ski and trailer in the water just enough to get her at running level...then fire her up and see what's happening inside....no need to ride it with the seat off. Stay away from the back end of the ski is all.....just make sure the ski can suck enough water through the bottom or tie it to a tree on shore and see what's going on in there. You'll figure it out. Good luck and happy hunting.

You addressed the VTS, carbon ring, and water valve so I'd have a hard look at the bailers, if that bailer vacuum siphon system isn't perfect it'll have the opposite effect and pump water in when moving. Pull the pump and look for the grommets/orings between the hull plate, pump, and nozzle. Look for the little white tubes in the nozzle to be intact. Like mentioned above, bailer lines high in the hull and clear at the pickup.

You shouldn't ever need to run with the seat off, that's a risk especially on that ski if you tip or lean it over it's going to fill up with water quick and sink.

I have 2 and 1/2 methods to track down leaks. First I pick a day and time when the launch is free and not busy (rainy days are great for this, no one is there.) For dynamic leaks,(the motor running and pump working), I tie the ski down to the trailer, and slowly back it in till the pump is deep enough to pull in water, this way the carbon ring or pto bearing is lubricated, and I can test as long as I want, it may get a bit smokey. I start the motor and look for leaks.
After that, I back the ski into the water, and standing in the water beside the ski, I carefully rotate the ski around with a very strong flash light to check for static leaks. For this test alone, I like to have a completely dry aired out hull. You can also carefully tip the ski this way.
And in some cases, when I am not at the launch on the trailer, I do pull the seat off (calm water of course), and run the ski looking for leaks, and of course you are limited to your speed, since it's impossible to go quickly, and look in the hull at the same time.

Also if the bailers are missing the plastic tubes in the reduction nozzle of the jet pump it will push water into the hull instead of sucking it out. And if the bailer hoses are not tied high up in the hull they will siphon water back in.
My 96 XP takes on a lot of water as well. I replaced carbon ring. Can bailers be plugged to test? I picked up the ski a couple months ago with a trailer for $400. Replaced pump ring, fuel lines and fuel valve. Runs great. just takes on water. Oh exhaust is not leaking anywhere.

I had an issue with a ski taking on water. I'd ride it for 20 minutes with very little if any water getting into the hull. I'd start cutting up and it would quickly fill up. So... I put the individual bailers in a a open container of their own (Small stackable Parts containers) I rode the ski (seat off) and the did not get much if water in the small containers. When I started turning the ski tight, they quickly filled up. That was some strange shiznet !!!

What I found was someone that put the pump together pinched the o-ring on the bailer. PREVIOUSLY I removed and resealed the sponsons. I would not wish that job on anyone. Miserable. Good Luck !!

The bottom of the ballors over time can become plugged with sludge. I like to tie the boat to the trailer, back it into the water at the launch till the pump is submerged. Then I remove the seat, remove the ballors from their brackets, and insert them into a small pail of water (one at a time). Next I start the ski, rev it, then look to see if the water is being drawn out of the pail.
Once gain to avoid pressure at the launch from boaters, I pick the absolute worst day, cold, and or rainy when the launch will be virtually empty (well where I live anyway. It's nice to test without pressure from the boating community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back