Sea doo electronic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milroy16

Hi I have a 97 gsx 787 that I purchased this last year and the vts goes one way but not the other. Tested the motor and it’s good so I’m assuming it’s the module. Don’t believe there was any clicking on the way it would work. The vts guage is blank most of the time but the odd time it shows 1 bar. The fuel gauge also doesn’t work but the low fuel light doesn’t come on. Any thoughts?

Just to understand, you tested the motor in both directions and you are only getting one direction movement with the motor installed in the ski. Sounds like the module to me.

Fuel baffle is probably bad. You can test it by putting a multi meter in the ohms scale and reading the wires coming off the fuel baffle. I send my baffles to a guy on ebay and he fixes them for $50. Totally worth it to me. That's a start anyway. Good Luck !

Just to understand, you tested the motor in both directions and you are only getting one direction movement with the motor installed in the ski. Sounds like the module to me.

Fuel baffle is probably bad. You can test it by putting a multi meter in the ohms scale and reading the wires coming off the fuel baffle. I send my baffles to a guy on ebay and he fixes them for $50. Totally worth it to me. That's a start anyway. Good Luck !

And yes tested in both directions and only work in one on ski. I’m a little hesitant to go out and buy another one for $400+ if it’s just going to go bad again or are they pretty reliable if you keep the boots I’m good shape? Is water pretty much the only cause of failure or does the relay in the module like to go bad without water even getting to it?

I'd buy a used one or eliminate the trim. I think if you get it working you shouldn't have any issues if you keep the water out of the motor housing as you suggest.

I'd buy a used one or eliminate the trim. I think if you get it working you shouldn't have any issues if you keep the water out of the motor housing as you suggest.

Do you have any idea where I can get the upgrades clamps for the boots?

You can get them direct from seadoo.....
Ref:
Clamp
MSRP: $3.09
Dealer Price: $2.63

Ref:
Clamp
MSRP: $9.29
Dealer Price: $7.90

I would suggest our site sponsor Seadoo Warehouse in the upper right of this screen.

You can get them direct from seadoo.....
Ref:
Clamp
MSRP: $3.09
Dealer Price: $2.63

Ref:
Clamp
MSRP: $9.29
Dealer Price: $7.90

I would suggest our site sponsor Seadoo Warehouse in the upper right of this screen.
Are those the plastic pinch style or still the metal hose clamp style

The fuel gauge also doesn’t work but the low fuel light doesn’t come on. Any thoughts?

It still needs an ohm reading from the baffle for the warning light to come on. Either the float fell out of the baffle or it has a break in the circuit, like the little internal F1 fuse or corrosion. Both skis I have were inop on the fuel reading, one had the corrosion issue and other the F1 fuse. I was able to fix the fuse issue. On the one with the corrosion I had to get another used baffle, they average about $45-$70 on ebay.

I just checked it again it goes down and just clicks when I press up is that still looking like a bad module?

Take the cover off the VTS and disconnect the motor. Connect a multimeter where the motor was connected and check if you are getting current when you press the button and get the clicks. If you get voltage both ways it is the motor, else a module or limit switch issue.

Take the cover off the VTS and disconnect the motor. Connect a multimeter where the motor was connected and check if you are getting current when you press the button and get the clicks. If you get voltage both ways it is the motor, else a module or limit switch issue.

Where is the limit switch located

For the fuel gauge, seems this is a common failure, I had the same issue on 3 ‘97 skis, on the GTX I think you can remove the baffle through the storage hatch in front of the seat. The F1 fuse blows.
This thread may be helpful to you. Search this forum for “Fuel guage not working GSX Limited” sorry, it won’t let me post a link.

This is what goes bad in the baffle, I bridged it and replaced it with a 250Ma inline fuse. This was in a 97 XP.
07BAAE5F-BE32-465E-95EE-F51D74550EFA.jpeg

Limit switch is in the module. There is a magnet on the nut that the module sensor detects and reacts accordingly. I think Milroy16 has a good test method Give it a try.

I just pulled the whole thing out of the RX so I could poke at it easier. Good Luck !RX trim Module test.jpeg

Well, it is not really a switch, there is a magnet on the shaft that goes bad and that causes issues with it knowing whether it is up or down. Reed switches sense the position and send that info to the guage and also uses it as a limit sensor.
9564F455-7B74-4BFE-B486-360875480EED.jpeg
Mine had badly rusted, I removed it and replaced it with a small magnet and sealed it over with epoxy glue.
I tested a strong neodymium magnet was too strong and reduced the travel, i guess it was triggering the end limit reed too soon because it was too powerful.

Not sure this is your issue but worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back