SBT Break in

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjrumble

I did a cylinder exchange with SBT and should have it ready to go this afternoon. Something I having trouble with is the break in though.

I cant seem to find any information on breaking the new top end in. So does anyone know or how suggestions on how to break in. I have heard people of spending like 10 hours breaking new engines in but do I really need to spend 10 hours going slow when I only rebuilt half the engine?

Any input is appericated.

Its a 96 GSX, 787.

I would contact SBT and see what they recomend for the warranty. I personaly run a little extra oil in the furl so as not to foul plugs but add a little lube to the mix for about a tank. I wouldn't beat the heck out of it till you run out most of the tank of fuel, That way everything gets seated in just fine. I would do a compression test just after breakin too to be sure all is fine inside.

Karl

I just followed the new engine break in. I ran a full tank of pre mix 50:1 plus the stock oil injection for a tank, and then 91 octane for the second. Im half way thru the second tank and i still haven't hit full speed, but im sure the rings are seated right. When i first went though, i did 30 mins of 20%ish throttle, or stayed under 3000 rpm. then went back and let it cool down until it was cold, about 20 mins or so, and then 30 mins of 50% of throttle and called it a night. Then i went out again the next day and went 90% throttle until the gas was low, and went back in. Filled up and went out the next day again and let her rip. So far i have hit 69 on the stock speedo.. so im sure im getting over 60 mph and everything is running good. A little bit of a low idle but im not gunna complain!

I just followed the new engine break in. I ran a full tank of pre mix 50:1 plus the stock oil injection for a tank, and then 91 octane for the second. Im half way thru the second tank and i still haven't hit full speed, but im sure the rings are seated right. When i first went though, i did 30 mins of 20%ish throttle, or stayed under 3000 rpm. then went back and let it cool down until it was cold, about 20 mins or so, and then 30 mins of 50% of throttle and called it a night. Then i went out again the next day and went 90% throttle until the gas was low, and went back in. Filled up and went out the next day again and let her rip. So far i have hit 69 on the stock speedo.. so im sure im getting over 60 mph and everything is running good. A little bit of a low idle but im not gunna complain!

That's a little extreme for a top end break-in. I would add like 6 oz of oil to the tank of fuel too. Pistons and Rings break in in about 1 hour of use.

Karl

Ok so i was on the break in period... Doing 20% throttle like sbt told me too.(im waiting for it to cool down).

So when I got straight it goes from side to side, like not turns but just tilts from side to side. Is this normal because I was hardly up on the plain. Or do you guys think I might have messed something up when I took the out/put back in the engine.

This is really my first time riding a seadoo other than when this one broke down on me.

Thanks in advanced.

i was told to start it, let it warm up, then kill it and let it cool. do this at least 10 to 15 times. and all the oil she can handle w/o foulin the plugs. seems to work for my application. never had a problem out of er. what you are trying to do is put an oil lining on the cylinder walls so the piston never actually touches the cylinder walls, she rides on the oil slick built up. sbt has a special break in oil to use dont they?

So heres an update..

Took it out, for the second warm up. got to the other end of the lake. Hot Temp light came on stopped the ski. Then noticed smoke coming out. Look inside the seat its half full of water and smoking.

Anyone know the steps from here?

Yea so idiot mistake.

The hose that went to head popped off, so instead of bringing in cool water to the engine to starting flowing right into the ski.

It fill up about 1/4 of the way. What are the steps now? I need to take it out and drain it but what after that?

Alright so im back from my parents place in Mass.

I took the Seadoo out of the water and drove it around with the drain plugs out for awhile trying to get the water out. Put it back in and it ran great for awhile.

Towards the weekend the lake got very very choppy because of the holiday. I started to hit some wake for really the first time since I had it and it started to do this bogging thing. I would be running like 6,000 rpm then it would drop to 3,000 and rev up again.

Any ideas?

Im thinking of selling it and buying a newer one, I have to say im rather stressed to take this thing out. After putting alot of money into it it, to just about sinking it. Whenever I hear a weird noise on it or it bogs I take it right to shore and make sure everything is ok.

Also one more question, I noticed when my step dad rode it it seemed to have a higher pitch whine than any other PWC on the water except for one Kawi. Something to worry about? Really worried about the bogging thing, and just to note compression is 150 and 150.

Just be sure everything is tight and doing what it's suppose to. I would go over everything with some wrenches and screw diver to be sure all is ok. That alone will give you confidence everything is tight and working ok...rather than wondering it it is going to came apart again. I own a 2008 speedster and I check everywhere, every time I fire it up, from jet pump nozzle to wire connectors under the cooler. I never breakdown, due to lack of maintenance or observation.

Karl

I had someone suggest to me water in the coil box?

This is the black box located next to the battery correct? Couldn't find anything about it in my manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back