Salt water set up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metraman

I'm planning to bring my skis down to Florida this year. What do I need to do to the water system so the salt doesn't eat it up.
It looks like they will have to be stored outside are there special covers for the weather?
Thanks

Any good cover "like a Poppy cover" will help to protect from the sun.

After riding in Salt water make sure you flush the motor 100%. Some people bring it to a fresh water lake and run either on the trailer for several minutes or take it for a ride. Other just flush it out at home with the hose on it (no more than 2 minutes on the hose) and some use salt away to help clean it. Then spray it all down with lube such as fogging oil WD 40 isn't the best to use for this).

Keep us posted.

We took a trip from KY to ride the Destin area over Larbor Day weekend which you can read about here

http://pwctrails.blogspot.com/2013/09/destin-to-pcola.html

This is what we did to prepare our ski's.

1. We Bombardier Lubed everything metal in the engine bay. Don't forget the steering system and hood hinge. We also lubed the opas controls and the entire pump system for good measure.

2. After every ride flush the cooling system.

3. Hose the entire ski off if possible after every ride. Be sure to hit the pump and opas good! Hit the bilge lightly also. Don't forget the trailer! Just a good fresh water rinse works for day to day operations. We hosed the entire ski and flushed the open loop cooling system with salt away once we got back to KY. If I was going to be down there for a extended time I personally would salt away at least once a week.

Optional but recommended step
4. On a supercharged ski install a Groco Strainer on the open loop cooling. We did this to keep junk out of our intercoolers and you wouldn't believe what was in the strainer when we got back. All sorts of seaweed and grassy material.

5. Install a bilge pump. We went on long ride and I liked the idea of added safety incase I sprung a leak.

These are all the steps we took and I haven't seen any adverse effects from the trip. We had so much fun we are going twice this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
So the fitting on the back is for the flush? I've just found out I can store them in my parking spot under my building so the sun be the problem I'd thought it would be:) Also contacted Groco to see what they offer. I don't use them much in Michigan I'd rather drive my boat the skis should be a blast in Florida.
Good info
Thanks

Skewba,

Great tips, but I think it would be good to clarify something regarding your #2 and the cooling system. All 4-tec engines (SC and N/A) have two separate cooling systems. The closed loop system is for the engine only and uses antifreeze. The second system is for the exhaust system and intercooler (if so equipped) which uses raw seawater from the jet pump. Even the naturally aspirated engines use raw water to cool the exhaust system. Therefore, it is necessary to flush the system after riding in salt water for all machines.

I really like your idea about adding the Groco filter. I do not ride in salt water but still find it an interesting modification and I bet many others on the forum would agree.

Where did you install your filter? I assume you tapped into the hose leading directly from the jet pump? I think it would be great if you could post a few pics of your install and what materials you used for the install. You may have done this in another post, but I don't recall ever seeing anything. Again, great info - thanks!

I ride salt about twice a month, IMO riding in salt is no big deal, don't sweat it, just a little extra precautions, not like salt is going to eat through your pump in a few weekends, it takes a long time (and neglect) before salt does real damage.

I'm a big fan of CRC and Fluid Film, engine and pump, I flush often and use salt away, but if I ride saturday, and plan on going out sunday, I don't even bother.

plan your rides ahead of time, online charts, google earth, or pwctrailfinder, ask locals about the location because IMO the biggest issue with riding in Florida is sandbars and clam beds and not salt, (and the dam FWC and their stupid no wake zones).

What part of Florida will you be riding ?

I'll be riding in Fort Myers this fall. Now all I'll have to do is find a way to get them to the water. I guess a rent a u-hall to get them in and again when I leave. I use to have a boat down here but I sold it the cost was just too much to store it inside especially for the time I spend down here.

I'll be riding in Fort Myers this fall. Now all I'll have to do is find a way to get them to the water. I guess a rent a u-hall to get them in and again when I leave. I use to have a boat down here but I sold it the cost was just too much to store it inside especially for the time I spend down here.

I work in Ft Myers, Live in Cape Coral, PM me for contact info and save my #, have a sturdy double trailer and a couple of stands in my garage so I can help out by giving you trailer access for an in/out deal. I'd also be happy to show you around if your unfamiliar with the area, we have fantastic salt water and beach riding out of the Ft Myers area, but there are also some killer fresh water rides that are within a comfortable tow if it can be arranged.

I've actually have gotten a little bored with the beach rides, been there done that so many times that its not that much fun any more, but I still hit the beaches from Naples to Boca Grande at least once a month minimum. 75% of my rides are brackish or fresh water rides, 25% are in pure salt. Most of my real salt water activity is on a Deck boat and not on a ski.

Metraman the fitting on the back is for flushing. Always start the motor before you start the water. If not you can fill your exhaust with water and if it gets high enough it goes in places you don't want. :rant:

devonte007 You sir are correct. NA and SC ski's both have open loop cooling for the exhaust. I don't know what I was thinking. Well I wasn't thinking! On the Groco I just found the water in from the pump and cut the hose and installed the Groco inline. I mounted the Groco so the side of the hull right under the rear storage tray. Easy to see and easy to clean. Personally I think it should be mandatory on a Supercharged setup. My buddies and I pulled our intakes and back flushed our intercoolers with coil cleaner. You wouldn't believe the crap that came out of them. We surely gained a one horsepower or two :thumbsup: If you do a google search there is a site that sells 4-tec performance parts that sells the exact Groco and all the fittings you need. We also installed ball valves on the same line towards the front of the motor so we could shut the open loop off incase we had to be towed. I'll get some pics when I get off work here in a few hours.

On the bilge I went with this pump. It is water sensing and doesn't kick off and on to check for water like the Rule's In other words it won't run your battery down. I mounted it in the back right next to the pump tunnel. Basically in the spot on the hull where the depth finder mounts if you have one.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERSUB-Subm...TF8&qid=1383916666&sr=1-1&keywords=whale+pump

Just for kicks after I installed it I put a water hose in my hull and turned it wide open and that pump keep my hull dry.On the thru hull I mounted it high under the rear grab bar towards the side. Blends in and looks factory.

Metraman the fitting on the back is for flushing. Always start the motor before you start the water. If not you can fill your exhaust with water and if it gets high enough it goes in places you don't want. :rant:

devonte007 You sir are correct. NA and SC ski's both have open loop cooling for the exhaust. I don't know what I was thinking. Well I wasn't thinking! On the Groco I just found the water in from the pump and cut the hose and installed the Groco inline. I mounted the Groco so the side of the hull right under the rear storage tray. Easy to see and easy to clean. Personally I think it should be mandatory on a Supercharged setup. My buddies and I pulled our intakes and back flushed our intercoolers with coil cleaner. You wouldn't believe the crap that came out of them. We surely gained a one horsepower or two :thumbsup: If you do a google search there is a site that sells 4-tec performance parts that sells the exact Groco and all the fittings you need. We also installed ball valves on the same line towards the front of the motor so we could shut the open loop off incase we had to be towed. I'll get some pics when I get off work here in a few hours.

On the bilge I went with this pump. It is water sensing and doesn't kick off and on to check for water like the Rule's In other words it won't run your battery down. I mounted it in the back right next to the pump tunnel. Basically in the spot on the hull where the depth finder mounts if you have one.

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERSUB-Subm...TF8&qid=1383916666&sr=1-1&keywords=whale+pump

Just for kicks after I installed it I put a water hose in my hull and turned it wide open and that pump keep my hull dry.On the thru hull I mounted it high under the rear grab bar towards the side. Blends in and looks factory.

interesting post, bookmarked this one for the day when I eventually get a SD with a SC. (just a matter of time)

Looked up the filter kit you referred to, seems like a nice deal for $45. I also like your idea about adding a shut off valve in-line in case it is ever needed for towing. A pretty simple install for added piece of mind, I have heard some horror stories about clogged up cooling systems.

Here's a link to the product if anyone else is interested:
http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_199&products_id=1430

Thanks again for the info!

Here's what pics I could get without taking the ski apart. On the Groco I just used a grab bar bolt and hot glued the rest. It survived 15 miles of hard chop in the Santa Rosa sound so its good to go! Excuse my dirt! I need to clean it up from where we yanked the motor to fix a oil leak.

Attachments

• IMG_3853[1].jpg
    IMG_3853[1].jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3848[1].jpg
    IMG_3848[1].jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3850[1].jpg
    IMG_3850[1].jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3851[1].jpg
    IMG_3851[1].jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 37
Here's what pics I could get without taking the ski apart. On the Groco I just used a grab bar bolt and hot glued the rest. It survived 15 miles of hard chop in the Santa Rosa sound so its good to go! Excuse my dirt! I need to clean it up from where we yanked the motor to fix a oil leak.

You should have seen his face when we were drilling those holes.... ahahaahahahahaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back