Salt water Cleaning

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOOSAB

I got a 2010 sea doo challenger 180 i have never put the boat in salt water and next month we are taking the boat down to our summer home in west plam beach. So i will be using the boat a lot in salt water for about 2 weeks. How to i flush out the system i have heard guys talk about it but i have no experience with it myself. But i def don't want the salt composits to mess anything up. do I just hook it up to the hose and run it? Also the trailer isn't galvinized how do i make sure its cleaned good. I heard the only way to make sure of this is to dip it in fresh water. Well i believe all the water their is salt water..
Thanks

No need to worry about salt water use!! What I do is every time I take the boat out I wash it completely down with soap and water, give your engine a quick rinse off. If your going to put the boat in and out on a day basis then just start up the engine and give it a quick shot of gas to blow out the water from the exhaust....if your taking it out for a few days then hook up the hose to it and flush it out. I also completely sprayed down the pump/ reverse gate with a white lithium grease that you can buy at Home Depot...don't be afraid to use the whole can!! The lithium grease won't get washed off by the salt water unlike other penetrating oils such as WD-40.

As far as the trailer...2 weeks worth of salt water exposure will not rot out your trailer, just give it a good rinse when cleaning your boat!!

Have fun...

You should read the owners manual for flushing. I didnt the first time and it cost me. These boats are different than the old ones. You need the flush assembly which is the valve that screws on to the port and the hose connector (20 to 30 bucks). After you connect the hose(off) start the engine, then turn on the water. Run 3 minutes or so then turn off the water, let the engine run 15 seconds or so and shut it off. If you dont you may force water into the exhaust and into the engine causing hydro lock.

I live in Florida, and only run in salt water. After your done, connect to the rear hose connector and run your engine for no more then 15-20 seconds. Your seadoo has inter-looping cooling and you only need to flush out the exhaust system. Start the engine and then turn on the water. after about 15-20 seconds, shut off the water and then the engine. Go to like Home Depot and in the garden center is a coupler with a nipple connector ( get the green and black one) you can buy for about $3.00. Screw the nipple end on the seadoo and the coupler on section of hose about 4' long with a fitting that will screw on your garden hose. I also get a plastic shut off valve to make it easier to shut off the water that screws on the feed hose between the 4' length and the feed hose.
Wash down the boat complete. Pick up a cheap can of Silicone from Walmart and spray down down everything in the engine compartment and jet pump assy. If you use spray grease it will just make a mess of everything and trap salt water, causing corrosion. I do this on a regular basis and have never had any trouble.

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
I also live in florida and all of the parts you would have to replace if salt EVER damaged would be about $300. If you improperly flush your engine you can easily overheat it, especially after having it on the water all day.... it is not worth it.

Wash it all down using washing solvent (boat wash) and drop a few drops of dawn liquid in the hull in the gear locker and the engine bay before you go out and it will with bilge wash the salt off for you. Remember to use silicone on all moving or metal parts for protection.
:cheers:

so i just take the silicone and cover everything. Engine, jet pumps ect. Basiclly everything in the engine locker just silicone it down!

so i just take the silicone and cover everything. Engine, jet pumps ect. Basiclly everything in the engine locker just silicone it down!

It will make a layer to protect from the salt, I use Yamalube ans it isn't greasy.

Have fun!

you can always take it to lake osbourne and run it around to flush it and rinse the trailer at the same time. there are a few lakes in wpb to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back