RXT-X 2013 Towing shutoff valve

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thefox1

Been looking at the forums and I want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. From the forums it looks like people are adding the valve on the line in the first picture I took, but from the owners manual on the seadoo website (black and white and hard to see) it looks like the line in my second pic.

doo1.jpg

doo2.jpg

Your first picture is of the wrong line.... that is the water outlet from the exhaust manifold and intercooler.

The goal of the tow valve is to prevent water from flowing through the exhaust manifold into the water box. If the water box fills with water while the engine is not running, the water will go up the exhaust and into the engine.

When you tow above a certain speed, you generate enough water pressure at the pump to force water through the exhaust manifold and into the water box. Seadoo recommends clamping line "A" if you are going to tow (do not clamp line A1 or A2). Clamping or placing a valve in this line (position V1) ensures no water will flow into the water box.

Other people have decided to put a valve on the line leading from the jet pump to the exhaust manifold inlet. They either put it in position V2 before the intercooler or V3 after the intercooler tee. This prevents pressured water from the jet pump from flowing into the front inlet port of the exhaust manifold from the jet pump in the first place. With this approach you may still have some risk of getting water into the water box. It may be unlikely, but I would think you could still get some water to flow backwards into the rear outlet of the exhaust manifold from the outlet of the intercooler and into the water box.

Tow Valve.jpg

Your first picture is of the wrong line.... that is the water outlet from the exhaust manifold and intercooler.

The goal of the tow valve is to prevent water from flowing through the exhaust manifold into the water box. If the water box fills with water while the engine is not running, the water will go up the exhaust and into the engine.

When you tow above a certain speed, you generate enough water pressure at the pump to force water through the exhaust manifold and into the water box. Seadoo recommends clamping line "A" if you are going to tow (do not clamp line A1 or A2). Clamping or placing a valve in this line (position V1) ensures no water will flow into the water box.

Other people have decided to put a valve on the line leading from the jet pump to the exhaust manifold inlet. They either put it in position V2 before the intercooler or V3 after the intercooler tee. This prevents pressured water from the jet pump from flowing into the front inlet port of the exhaust manifold from the jet pump in the first place. With this approach you may still have some risk of getting water into the water box. It may be unlikely, but I would think you could still get some water to flow backwards into the rear outlet of the exhaust manifold from the outlet of the intercooler and into the water box.

View attachment 40530

Awesome write up, thank you very much. Explains everything.

View attachment 40530
With all do respect guys... I have been towing these machines for 20 years with no water block off and never had issues. To think that water coming into pump while towing can blow by four overlapping blades and pressurize stator enough to pressurize cooling system is a hydrodynamic impossibilty. This video is towing back ten mile run on a three blade prop at 20 mph with a heavy duty scoop grate . No issues. Like wise... heres what happens on water shut off. Eventually you forget to turn on .. over heat exhaust, sink boat. Just my opinion! https://youtu.be/qaO11p9cdPI

As Seadoodoc points out, you have the choice to tow without "protection" and trust that nothing will go wrong.

I haven't installed a valve, but I do carry a line clamp I got at Harbor freight for use on line A. 4 Piece Clamp Set

If you choose to add a valve, here is a very good video showing how/where to install. It's a seadoo boat, but exact same configuration.

https://youtu.be/pywXJMXlBmw

I especially like the suggestion at the end of the video to make sure you don't forget to open the valve after being towed.

If this mod is done... heres my idiot proof method. If you turn off valve , wrap the lanyard over the valve in engine compartment. You can not start boat without saying " oh shit I wud have forget valve" likely at least once in 10 times. Maybe my memory is fading at 50 years old but when you're managing a boat and 5 toy pwc at once it's hard to keep track of every detail.. wait...what was I saying?

The idiot proof method can be foiled by you having to keep the key away from the Seadoo
as an example, when you have it floating on a bouy overnight. You wouldn't want to leave the key in it.

True, it might be unlikely a thief would look under the seat but they certainly could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back