RXT 215 Motor Stuck?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC27R6

How yall doin..first time poster here. Looking for some of your knowlege and experience.

History:
Total newbie to jetskis. Bought my first one last year and loved every minute on the water..its a used 2008 seadoo RXT supercharged....and minus a couple things here and there...ran good all last year. Things changed out last year: New battery. Replaced starter relay. Replaced carbon seal, floating ring and boot. Removed starter and cleaned it up. Clean engine....no rust...only ran in fresh water according to previous owner.
Instument cluster never worked.

What happened:
Had it out this year first time on memorial day weekend and performed good all day....even pulled some tubers. The day after....still working good for couple hours, went on a nice ride.......on way back in im at wide open throttle and then just dies on me. Sounded like it was cranking but never turned over. Got tugged out.

What its doing:
Key does the normal 2 beeps....followed by 1 long beep. Then i hit start button and just get a thud from starter. No crank.

What ive checked:
Battery is charged up. Put gas....it was a little low. Plugs visually look good. Replaced them anyway. Pulled air intake on supercharger and turned w 17mm socket. It turns w a little bit of resistance. Pulled pump and removed cone, used a 12mm allen( i believe) and tried turning counter clock....doesnt budge(w plugs removed).
Pulled starter off thinking maybe was frozen, nope...jumped the starter off the ski and it spins.
Now during the process of trying to manually turn tbe motor, i did see the extension i had put down the cylinder hole move up since it was sitting on top of a piston...and it did allow me to turn it for about 1 revolution...but stuck hard now.

My Questions:
Does the supercharger have to be removed for me to be able to manually turn motor via the driveshaft?
Should manually turning the supercharger turn the motor?
Any ideas what happened?

Looking forward to any advise

I think the timing chain broke and that is why you can turn a bit and then it stopped, what did the plugs look like? You cannot turn the engine using the supercharger, if you try make sure you turn counterclockwise. You do not have to remove the supercharger to turn the driveshaft, sorry but the news is not good, there is a website called SBT Engines , might be an option for you if it's an engine failure.

Thank you for the reply. I just took a look at the oil filter and there is quite a bit of metal shavings that were a copper/bronze color. I never heard any grinding. If it is the timing chain...what all could have been damaged...valves? Simple overhaul in order?

Timing chain or something in the stator area went wrong, No such thing as a simple overhaul, you need specialty tools to accomplish such a task , even just to install the engine you need an alignment tool. SBT engines in many cases is the way to go , brand new and reasonably priced, and you could be running quickly. Rebuild the supercharger , check the intercooler for leaks , replace the engine , check the pump and bearings , recommend you get a service manual , if you put it back together properly you should get many years out of it.

Doesnt seem like a bad idea. Sux that i paid $3k for the ski last year....but about $4k and ill have an almost good as new. Definetly will consider that route. If i did the overhaul route....think i could get away with just pulling out the head?
Anything i could have done to avoid this from happening?

You cannot have a part failure and just try to pull the head, you have way bigger problems, I know you're trying to save a bit but when there is a part failure a complete tear down is necessary in all cases , if you found fragments in the filter then it's usually catastrophic, oil pumps are gone for sure and they are part of the case. Honestly a new engine is the better option, unless you have a machine shop in your area experienced in powersport rebuilds , but it's usually much slower than getting a new one and it costs more.

I did an 04 over winter. Snapped timing chain, bent valves, ceramic washers in oil pumps and filter. Mine would turn over but I bet you have valves hitting when you turn it.

Yes I did the rebuild. I went a bit far with it too. Riva stage 2, new rods and pistons, stainless valves, and arp bolts. It was a fun project but not really cheap. I am sure if you did the oil pumps, the water pump and get the head done you could do it for a lot less.

True....they arent cheap right now. i apprciate the replys. My plan is to pull it into my garage and start pulling the motor. Figure if i can pull motor out, putting back in should be pretty easy instead of paying shop $800(quote recieved $400 to pull old and $400 to put in new) SBT engines do seem the way to go. The only part that worries me a little is the engine alignment when doing the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back