Rewiring a trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RFoster130

Premium Member
Premium Member
The trailer that came with my boat is kinda rough. The actual trailer and the bunks look great. The lights and wiring are horrible. The lights worked intermittently on the drive from PA to KY.

Once home I noticed the 4 way plug looked rough and the wires had some spots where the wires were bare and mangled just after the plug. I bought a new plug and changed it. That did not fix them. The license plate bracket was totally rusted off and it looked like there was a wire ground there. It is hanging loose and all rusty. The lights on the middle brace at the back of the trailer are smashed. The light on the right fender has the wires hanging out. To put it lightly, its a freakin mess.

To fix it, I am thinking of just picking up one of those LED trailer light kits on ebay and just rewiring the whole thing. Has anyone done this? I am curious how hard it is to feed all new wires through the trailer or if I should just put new lights on and clean up the grounds and stuff. It would be nice to know it is all new. Also, all the kits have the tail lights and some have the fender lights. Where do I find that other little 3 light cluster on the rear cross brace?

Thanks as always!!!

I just finished rewiring mine with the LED system. Cut the old wires at the plug and tape the new ones to the old and pull them through the frame. You will pull the old out and the new in. Took me about 4 hours in total. I left the wires for the side makers as they weren't too bad. When I get new LED side markers I might change the wiring then. Pretty simple, just use solder and shrink tubing for the connections.

68rustbucket is right on.
I just redid my trailer with an LED package (tails, clearance, fenders) as well and was easy as could be fishing the new lines in from the plug to the back. Make sure you have them tightly together as one snag and separating the old wire from the new will make for a long day. :-(

Depending on your trailer be prepared for needing some creativity and additional connectors -- I had some fender lights that had power supplied by the 4 post plug directly -- basically 3 black wires from one post. in the plug. Unfortunately my new plug didn't have that arrangement so I just had to splice the single black wire to power the others.

Some other tips I read about and incorporated:
Make sure your ground is to metal and not just paint -- I just dremelled a small ring around the bolt hole where the bolt for the tail light went through to get a solid connection for now. From the reading I did the ground connections usually create the most trouble.

The only other tip I picked up from someone online and it seemed valid was to silicone up where the wires exited the LED taillight - No water getting in there via that route.

As to connections, there are many answers. My soldering skills sucked so I used butt connectors, shrink wrap, and electrical tape over top for a final seal.

I'll keep you posted as the new lights haven't hit the water yet ... I am sure it will all be fine. :)

Did you get the rewire done???

The LEDs I put on have had no issues so far after being dunked a few times now. For trailer lights they look pretty sweet.

Now to finish the rest of the work on the boat - new HU in, new speakers in, impeller on its way, new wear ring waiting in the pump. Sew it all back together and rehit the water.

shamski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back