Review of my new 2011 Speedster 150 - 155 non-sc, 7-14-2012

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheappc

Well ladies and gentleman I just got back from Puddinstone Lake, finally got the chance to take my new 2011 Speedster 150, naturally aspirated 155hp. I took possession this past Monday 7-9-2012, without test driving it. It was a leftover nonsold 2011, it was actually exactly what I was looking for, I wanted an unsold one because they always discount them, and usually offer extra incentives such as an extended warranty (3 years in my case), thousands of dollars in discount, and an awesome interest rate (and luckily no money down as well). So I got all those incentives, sacrificing of course the 2012 badge and new redesign instrument cluster which I was willing to do.

Before I continue let me start by saying that I currently own a 1995 Sea Doo Sportster, 657x 85hp. I owned it for 3 years, it was a cool project. I just sold it on eBay on Friday.

Now back to my new boat, I'm betting you want to know, I took videos of me launching the boat, so I will be posting those up as well. Well launching the boat was a breeze, loved it, I love these small boats because they are so easy to maneuver. Of course I turned it on for 10 seconds before backing up the boat in the water (something I learned to do with my 95 Sportster).

First thing I noticed, and of course I loved was that it turned on instantly, I'm kinda glad I didn't have to take the sparks plugs out, turnover the engines for a bit, and throw starter fluid in the holes. Wow, I'm not sure if I ever have to do that to this new one, but I was great not having to do that.

I turned it on while on the trailer, put it in reverse, and voila there I went, it was fast, so I had to be careful. My girlfriend parked my truck, and I idled around the lake to get the juices going while I waited for her to come down.

Im going to tell you right of the bat, that it felt soooooo much like my current boat. To be perfectly honest, I felt that my 95 sportster was faster, Im not sure if it's because it's that sweet sound of the 2 stroke engine revving up that I love, plus the smell of the 2 stroke engine mix of the fuel, lol.

I was told in the manual that I can't go full throttle to 7400 rpm while on the breakin period so I didn't. Also I noticed this boat has a cool digital display, AND computer that I bet can record error codes and etc.. So I was trying to be cool with the engine while breaking it in.

I tell you one cool feature it has it tells you in what depth of water your in, so you can be aware of when to turn it on. I think thats cool. It's like a built in depth finder!

Also I LOVE THE NEW NEUTRAL LOCK SYSTEM. I videotaped it, its unbelievable, I loved it, on my 95 sportster of course it's not going to have that cool feature, the feature is that when you put it on neutral in the middle of the lake, some kind of computer keeps the boat intact in one place. (so no going forward in neutral, or reverse for that matter). It's not perfect, but it was pretty dam cool, specially if you want to lounge somewhere and throw your anchor out. I loved it.

The fastest I took the boat was only 33 miles per hour, at 6800 rpm, but I noticed it getting faster the more I used it. The speed limit is only 35' its a small lake, and there were a lot boats out with skiers, so to be perfectly honest i couldnt get a good top speed, plus remember im still breaking the boat in.

Fuel consumption is amazing, I had a full tank when we got to the lake at 3 pm, left at 6:45, and all I used was a quarter of a tank of gas. I don't know how much fuel is good, but I read some horror stories here, so I only used like $12 of gas... That's cheap!

It was a pretty good day, no issues whatsoever, except one thing, but it was my error, when I beached it to go swimming at the beach area, we came back and the boat wouldn't start, we got worried, pull the manual out, and I was getting one long beep, I was reading and reading, it said that it wasn't on neutral, I put it on forward, reverse, neutral a couple of times, didn't work, I already pushed the boat out and we got worried so we threw the anchor out. Then I tried again, read the manual again, then there it was, did I put my key all the way in? Lol... Did that and started right away.

So bottom line, it didn't feel that much different than my old rig, but of course this new one with the radio, mp3 hookup, Sirius radio, made the difference. I felt that 95 sportster has more room inside too.. ? So go figure. All in all I really liked my new boat, easy to launch, easy to retrieve, the ride was awesome, depth finder, and neutral lock was really cool, swim platform, rear ladder. I think I made the right choice..

Thanks for reading!

Nice review, good to hear from a repeat speedster/sportster owner. I've only had mine for about a month, and I love it. Let's see the vids!

I took it out on some nice smooth water and got it up to 47mph, which although not as fast as the HO version, was WAY fast for me. I can't even imagine going 60mph in one of these things

I took it out on some nice smooth water and got it up to 47mph, which although not as fast as the HO version, was WAY fast for me. I can't even imagine going 60mph in one of these things

Nice I've been to Florida, and the water is so smooth out there I loved it. That's not that fast, at what rpm where u at at 47mph?

No offense taken, you have to understand, I had a 17ft center console with a 90hp outboard before this. On glass I would hit 29-30mph. 47mph to me feels like the flux capacitor is about to kick in!

No offense taken, you have to understand, I had a 17ft center console with a 90hp outboard before this. On glass I would hit 29-30mph. 47mph to me feels like the flux capacitor is about to kick in!

ahahaaha

here is my video SORRY ABOUT THE BACKGROUND MUSIC, it was my PANDORA blasting, which sucks! man... I didnt know it wouldnt turn off when Im video recording.. The Neutral Lock is at 2:15 if you want to see it in action:

[video=youtube;suZ3VNXi9MA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZ3VNXi9MA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheappc, how is the ride compared to your old sportster in rough water? I was in some rough water with my 96 sportster and now have a heat patch on my back. I am thinking about going to the new speedster.

Thanks

Cheappc, how is the ride compared to your old sportster in rough water? I was in some rough water with my 96 sportster and now have a heat patch on my back. I am thinking about going to the new speedster.

Thanks

Honestly, exactly the same, or worse, lol, I'm not kidding. I feel my old sportster had more room, me and my girlfriend were able to take a nap in the middle of my old sportster comfortably while just relaxing. Also I feel I get more wet in my new boat, the front bow is lower, and I feel my sides are lower too. Now this is not really a bad thing, I love it and enjoy it, because that's the effect I wanted.

I wanted a jetski feel with the safety of a boat that I can cruise in, play awesome, like the other day at puddingstone lake, no other boat could take cornering like I could, not even the powerboats, I took corners like a BMW on railroad tracks, me and my kids loved it.

So in choppy water my old sportster and this new one is probably on par, I think if you don't like that, it's better a challenger 180.. My 2 cents!

My movie is a bit boring - but the only one I have of the Speedster on hand. We use ours for single skiing mainly. I also have the 155hp. Sometimes wish I got the 255 but 155 mostly does ok. I have learnt to adapt my deep water starts to accommodate the 155's lack of power. It's fine once you get up out of the water though and can pull two men on tubes too.

Only mods to ours is the GPS / Fishfinder, hydro turf and stereo. I have gone back to OEM impeller after being underwhelmed by the Skat Track. One tank of gas will get about 3 half days of skiing which is fantastic.

Put mine through a bit of punishment - hit rocks, sucked up ski ropes and an anchor line, got all sorts of crap stuck in the impeller (on to my third rebuild now), but at 70 odd hours I haven't had any serious mechanical issues, just maintenance stuff. I keep a spreadsheet of every cost related to the Speedster and the boat is about $100 a week and incidently $100 per hour of engine run time which is pretty good as far as boats go.

[video=youtube;nbFb0KMfSyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFb0KMfSyA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Very Nice Video! thanks for sharing, seems cool to pull somebody, believe me like I stated, our fuel consumption is awesome, my friend has a yamaha 8 seater beautiful boat, but she goes through gasoline like kids drinking coca cola :), has to fill up twice in 5 hours! ouch! its like a 40 gallon tank..

Also someone mentioned you really dont need to go more than 30mph when pulling a skier, and no more than 20 on tubes?.. I really like my boat, of course my next one would be a little bigger :) (like in 3 or 4 years :) )

Heres a new video of me and my kids lol, sorry for the loud music :)

[video=youtube;AKuIVJAhJNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKuIVJAhJNM[/video]

I keep a spreadsheet of every cost related to the Speedster and the boat is about $100 a week and incidently $100 per hour of engine run time which is pretty good as far as boats go.

Does this boat need maintenance that much or is it because you are sucking stuff up?
Also, $100 per hour of engine run time??? That doesn't seem good at all...

Does this boat need maintenance that much or is it because you are sucking stuff up?
Also, $100 per hour of engine run time??? That doesn't seem good at all...

Believe me, I went out 2 days 4 hours per day, all I used was $12, thats like $3 dollars an hour! lol..

Believe me, I went out 2 days 4 hours per day, all I used was $12, thats like $3 dollars an hour! lol..

:lols: :lols:

:agree: I went twice last week, All I had to take my Sun-Screen, water bottles etc...

I still haven't calculated mpg but all I know that I'm really happy so far because it's not killing my wallet yet.. .May be I'm not running boat crazy like others...

I think maybe pdw was referring to the total cost of owning the boat, purchase price, fuel, maintenance, etc...

You are right, I googled "engine run time" its some kind of figure which macster estimated to be very good. Sgoyal your right about that, thats the way you should measure it! fun times!

Im going to Lake Piru this weekend to try my speedster again, been drying my boat (they are extremely, hold on, let me emphasize this, Extremely picky about even a drop of water, OR "MOIST" anchor/towing ropes.. They will send you away... and will quarantine your boat for 7 days here in California... The officer I talked to when I called also said that I cant even put Ice on my onboard Ice chest.. or I will be disqualified to enter in to the lake!

How is it in your part of the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back